Gates Timing Belt Kit

Albeitt

https://partsavatar.ca/1993-1995-nissan-pathfinder-timing-belt-kit-with-water-pump-gates-tckwp249c?gclid=Cj0KCQjwk8b7BRCaARIsAARRTL4oJz-tOgo4yifnPvtAMxxV-u4WOAUIZ3v4BWfLsiKlanl0ApWUrbwaAolbEALw_wcB

Before I make the purchase, will this be an appropriate timing belt kit for my 1993 Pathfinder?

I'm considering price, reliability, and overall cost effectiveness.

Thanks!

I used a gates kit on my 97 and am very happy with it so far. the tensioner felt very nice water pump was great also. i do recommend doing the cam seals too and like said above the thermostat. when i pulled off the rear cover and the cam gears my passenger side had a massive oil leak that i didnt even know about until i got in there. so i recommend you do those too for a few bucks its worth it.

Need to check the manufacture date on your 93. It is a transition year and the timing belt was one of the changes. Early 93 had a square tooth belt with a 60k mile replacement. Late 93 had round tooth with a 105k mile interval. They are not interchangeable. 

Other than that, I like the gates kit and have installed many of them. Like has been said, while you are in there, replace the cam and crank seals, thermostat, hoses, and I also recommend the woodruff key for the crankshaft belt sprocket. I didn't replace mine and wound up having it break and destroy the engine. I have seen the same problem on a couple other trucks and for a couple dollars, well worth the peace of mind replacing it gives. It was 97 cents at my local dealer when mine failed and it destroyed an expensive engine.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:41 PM, Mr_Reverse said:

Need to check the manufacture date on your 93. It is a transition year and the timing belt was one of the changes. Early 93 had a square tooth belt with a 60k mile replacement. Late 93 had round tooth with a 105k mile interval. They are not interchangeable. 

Other than that, I like the gates kit and have installed many of them. Like has been said, while you are in there, replace the cam and crank seals, thermostat, hoses, and I also recommend the woodruff key for the crankshaft belt sprocket. I didn't replace mine and wound up having it break and destroy the engine. I have seen the same problem on a couple other trucks and for a couple dollars, well worth the peace of mind replacing it gives. It was 97 cents at my local dealer when mine failed and it destroyed an expensive engine.

Manufacturing date is October 1992, model year 1993. The belt has rectangular teeth and are not round. This kit would still be appropriate?

Good ideas, thank you. I'll keep that in mind. I would hate to have it running only to run into issues once it's reassembled.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I'm already exchanging my cylinder heads so I'm going quite deep. The block is staying in the vehicle unless absolutely critical that I do something with the pistons.

I have yet to remove the cylinder heads. Once I'm there, and if there is an issue with my piston/piston rings, how difficult of a procedure is it to remove the block now that the entire top end is is gone? Or can I replace piston rings with the block in the engine? The Haynes manual says I can, but I'd rather hear it from someone with the same model year and engine type.

Thanks

Ummm, why are you pulling the heads? With an engine that has more than 100k miles on it, I am leery of just doing a top end, seems like that is asking the bottom to let go in the near future. It is possible to do the rings with the engine in the truck, but it would be much easier if you just pull it. The oil pan has to come off so you can unbolt the rod big ends to get the pistons out. It would just be easier to do the tear down and reassembly with the engine out.