Rapid Surging(?) under accel

Path014

Hi guys, been lurking here for a while, wondering if you can help me with a problem I just encountered. If I give the truck anything more than moderate acceleration while in drive, the engine seems to cut out and in rapidly, the tac is bouncing all over the place between idle and 3k. Video here. So far as I've been able to tell, this happens in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear, but not in park/neutral. It can get up to speed fine with just gentle acceleration, this only happens if I feed it gas. Doesn't feel like any trsnsmission slipping that I've experienced, ecu related? 

Also perhaps should mention that it started raining heavily where I live yesterday, yesterday was the first time I've experienced this. 

Thanks all

I had this happen on my 1990 Nissan Maxima. Turned out the alternator was going out, and the ECU was going into limp home mode due to undervoltage, where the maximum RPM was something like 2,500, and if you tried to rev the engine up any higher while in gear, it would start cutting out and bucking.

My dad's '03 did what you're describing. Didn't throw a code but if you gave it more than a little throttle it lurched like it was trying to throw something off the roof rack. The guy he took it to said he'd seen it before and replaced the swirl control valve solenoid valve. Never had a problem with it again. I have no idea how it failed or how it caused the issue, though I remember dumping a couple chunks of what looked like salt out of one of the vac lines when we were trying to troubleshoot it. :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out it was the swirl control valve solenoid valve. Started throwing the code for it (P1131) a few days later, and after an easy swap out, no more problems! Good call Slartibartfast