Open Tire Carrier Dash Light

eybastian

Hi to all the NPORA members, this is my first post. I have a new dashboard light that seems to be the tire carrier warning light (next to door ajar). To clarify, I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE, that does not have a tire carrier fitted. I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it immediately to no avail. I also tried disconnecting it for 5-10 minutes and starting the engine, to no avail. I’m located in Houston and it has been raining very heavily recently and my car was in the driveway. The light was on yesterday night, very dimly, but it turned off and I didn’t see it again until today when I had already been driving around town. It came on after a bit of a burnout in the slick road. I was in 2wd mode and had just switched from the AUTO mode, but like I said I had been driving it last night and didn’t slip the wheels or anything and the light was on. I was driving in the AUTO mode last night, but the light was on dimly. Today when it came on it was on dimly but then became fully lit when I got to my destination and is now fully lit and won’t turn off.

Your truck is wired for the tire carrier, they just have the connector for the pin switch taped back on the harness. It appears that the wire for the switch has become shorted to the body somewhere. About the only things you can do, is perform a visual inspection of the wiring harness until you find the damage. It might be possible to simply remove the light bulb for the indicator, but that is just a band-aid, you have one wire that is damaged, odds are others are going to do the same if the problem area is not found and repaired. 

• Like 1