Balancing torque converter and drive plate

Spooled

So, I'm replacing the auto tranny in my Pathy. The new to me tranny came with a torque converter, but not a drive plate. Do I really need to balance my original drive plate to the new torque converter? I'm not even sure how to do it, as I can't get all the fluid out of the torque converter, so how will it balance? Also, doesn't the fluid itself act as a damper? Other people I've talked to have told me they've never had to balance the two together, but they don't have Nissans. Any opinions out there as to why it's necessary?

I have to question that it does not matter to some degree... Ballance is just that, it may affect seal life or drivetrain vibration. Purely on thoery, I dont own, nor have messed with auto's. I'd try to drain it completely and static ballance it. This is suspending it so it can rotate freely, and aligning it so there is no 'one side down'. Maybe pointless in this application, but it is part of what I do for a living...

B

I'm with Precise on this one. I have a 5spd that I put a new clutch on, but the balance was not the same as the original. You can feel it as you rev up, especially at around 3000 rpm. It's not much but's definitely not as good as the factory original.. My point being that I imagine a automatic would be more sensitive to this sort of unbalance, and it would unpleasant to have a new vibration after going through all that work.

A static might work okay, but it'd be more effective if you could find someplace to spin balance (like a tire) it for you. The problem with the the static is that there is a friction factor involved that may vary depending on how you suspend it. The spin balance eliminates this, and as long the operator assembles it correctly they should be able to pin point the balancing.

LOL JRS14, I was just going off of the information I have that they are ballanced at the factory, and they advise you to clock them before disassembly in the manuals... That along with

Purely on thoery, I dont own, nor have messed with auto's
makes it a safe enough statement. Thanks for the info; if I ever own an auto tranny, I'll remember it. :P

B