JDM Terranos

SDThex

Hi Team,

First time poster here, thanks to Pathydude17 for the steer here from Youtube :)

I'm located in New Zealand and am looking to buy a WD21 or R50. We had a few NZDM Pathfinders sold here, but the majority of our cars are imported used from Japan. I've been diving into some of the great info on the forum here, but I'm struggling to find anything that says how much is consistent from your USDM Pathfinders to JDM Terranos. 

I'm going to have a look at this beast soon: Terrano RS-R Limited

It looks high spec in terms of creature comforts, but does anyone know if there were ever any changes made to the suspension etc between models? All I really want to do is put on some 30"/31" A/Ts and do some casual beach driving etc.

Cheers.

Hey mate, 31s should fit with the stock suspension setup. Had them on both my previous and current R50s.

Looks like the Regulus you're looking at has 16" rims so you'll need to get the equivalent of 31s as they're only available for 15" rims.

In terms of suspension changes between models, I think they only change between the 96-99 and 00-04 was the orientation of the rear shock mount. The others will correct me if I'm wrong though.

• Like 2

265/70r16 is the perfect size for the 16" wheels. I would recommend getting the QD32 over the TD27, more power and better economy as the gearing is better on the open road. Loved my old r50. Stay away from the petrol versions, the QD32 has nearly as much power and way more torque.

Check the intake hose from the airbox to the turbo isn't cracked, mine was. $60 off trademe for a new one.

Also look for one that's had the electronically controlled injector pump rebuilt if you can

Stay away from any that jerk taking off from a stop as this can indicate the injector pump is on the way out. This doesn't apply to the wd21 as it has a mechanical injector pump.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. That truck sold about 30 minutes before I left work unfortunately. The question about suspension came from me seeing a few models branded "urban", which sounded pretty un-promising!

I've heard bad things about the QD32 Injector pumps - $1800+ to get them rebuilt? I can do most things myself, but I'd still like to avoid that! I didn't know that a jerk taking off was a symptom, cheers. 

Thanks for the tip on the tyre size too.

Edited by SDThex

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2020 at 8:06 AM, SDThex said:

Thanks for the input guys. That truck sold about 30 minutes before I left work unfortunately. The question about suspension came from me seeing a few models branded "urban", which sounded pretty un-promising!

I've heard bad things about the QD32 Injector pumps - $1800+ to get them rebuilt? I can do most things myself, but I'd still like to avoid that! I didn't know that a jerk taking off was a symptom, cheers. 

Thanks for the tip on the tyre size too.

The urban model is just a trim spec. I believe they're still 4wd. Some of them are manuals too, although the manual only came with the TD27. Difficult to manual swap a turbo QD32ETI Terrano as unlike NA QD32s and all TD27s, they had a 7 bolt flywheel not a 6 bolt. IDK why, guess it's the higher torque figure.

NZ members I have a question. Not to take over this thread. Has your country opened up as yet. 

BTW, my R50 has 265/70R16 tires mounted on the 16” wheels. It did some rubbing of the front bumper and wheel well liners until I did some trimming. Now, nothing. 

We had a trip planned to NZ this past June but Covid kept us at home here in Montana. Hopefully will be able to travel to NZ in the future. Stay safe. MTG