First oil change today, any trick to not getting oil everywhere?

DonutHands

Remove the skid plate and get a large pan under both the filter and the plug, when it trickles it can go all over the place.  Have rags to wipe down oil that dripped onto crossbars, or get some absorbent pads and put them under the filter location on the crossbars before you start.

Edited by CALPATHY

I cover the steering rack with rags, then after I lightly loosen the filter, I put a ziplock around it while spinning it off. It takes longer because it’s slippery, but there’s rarely any mess. Another alternative is to cut the bottom quarter off a 2 liter bottle and allow it to serve as a funnel and container to direct the oil away from Paets you want to keep clean. The most important part to keep oil away from is the steering rack bushing, which will break down and deteriorate if it’s always oily.

If you think the oil filter location on your 3.3, you would really hate the filter on the VG30 in the WD21 and pickup. 

As said, it is simple, just pull the splash panel off(I find it hard to call that flimsy plastic panel a skid plate) and using a piece of cardboard or similar as a funnel to direct the oil to the catch pan. A little degreaser when done and good to go. 

I can think of so many other cars that are much worse for making a mess or hard to get to the filter. Suzuki Vitara with the V6 comes to mind. Pretty much any 4wd GM truck is a bit special in oil changes as well.