89 engine swap to V6 ecotech

Hi I have a 89 Nissan pathfinder with a fu**ed z24 motor in it does anyone know how hard it is to swap a V6 ecotech Into it or has anyone done it would like to know how hard it is or if its worth it. all feed back welcome

Dozzerwd21 the Ecotec is the Aussie version of the vortec, 3.8L EFI based on Buick V6. 

Projectcar I gave the conversion a lot of thought multiple times.
Guys that have done it keep blowing the manual gearbox, and the pathy boxes are getting harder to find. Could use a commo gearbox and fit a divorced transfer, like off a 720, but that is far more work and expense, 
Also, with the kits I have seen you need to use the very early engine - VN/VP engine, not the Ecotec which was VR/VS. 
The kits are not stocked by most suppliers (Marks 4wd adaptors, Castlemaine Rod Shop, V6 conversions.com and Dellow, and most kits were to suit the Commodore 4 speed auto.
Kits came out at about 3k, plus you need a donor car and to engineer the thing, need to pay to have the auto modified to accept the nissan transfer case, new front driveshaft modded. 

I worked out $AUD 5k if I did all the work myself. 
In saying that there was one already converted on Gumtree about a month ago for $1000. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 11:26 AM, FirstGenFreak said:

how much are you planning to spend on rebuilding your z24

I have been quoted 2-3k to have it completely pulled down, bored, decked and re assembled with some fresh parts is this a good price 

43 minutes ago, Projectcar said:

how much are you planning to spend on rebuilding your z24

I have been quoted 2-3k to have it completely pulled down, bored, decked and re assembled with some fresh parts is this a good price 

That is a pretty standard price, especially if it is from a reputable engine builder.
I'm building mine myself, but I can't do anything on it at the moment because I am in lockdown in Melbourne and the car is on my other property in Central vic.
I'll be spending about 1000-1500 but I am building mine myself.
I found a reconditioned head on Gumtree for $200 which saves a lot of machining cost. Probably another 600 in machining (Bore, crank grind, deck, balance)
and 500-ish for a rebuild kit from ebay US. 
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Engine-Rebuild-Kit-Fit-83-87-Nissan-720-D21-Hardbody-2-4L-SOHC-Z24-Z24i/360881090167

I'll be putting a weber 32/36 and a set of headers on, this combination really wakes them up, All in I should be around 2-2.5k

Edited by FirstGenFreak

8 minutes ago, FirstGenFreak said:

That is a pretty standard price, especially if it is from a reputable engine builder.
I'm building mine myself, but I can't do anything on it at the moment because I am in lockdown in Melbourne and the car is on my other property in Central vic.
I'll be spending about 1000-1500 but I am building mine myself.
I found a reconditioned head on Gumtree for $200 which saves a lot of machining cost. Probably another 600 in machining (Bore, crank grind, deck, balance)
and 500-ish for a rebuild kit from ebay US. 
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Engine-Rebuild-Kit-Fit-83-87-Nissan-720-D21-Hardbody-2-4L-SOHC-Z24-Z24i/360881090167

I'll be putting a weber 32/36 and a set of headers on, this combination really wakes them up, All in I should be around 2-2.5k

Is there any other  modes that I can do on the internals of the motor to get a little more power without increasing the price to much  

You can get them to take a bit more off the deck or the head to bump up your compression ratio, you'll need your engine builder to cc your cylinder head and work out correct piston to valve clearance and calculate compression ratio. 9-9.5:1 would wake it up a bit as well.

You could put a performance or torque cam in as well. Mine has a towing/torque cam which helps get it off the line, which I will re-use.  

Speak to your engine builder about your goals/intended use for the car and if he is worth his salt he'll will give you some direction and advice. 

• 2 months later...