Trash or Cash

Projectcar

I got a wd21 Nissan pathfinder wagon given to me by my brother, its been sitting for around 4 years. it has got bad blowbuy, drinks oil and hasn't been started since it was parked, its got rust in the bonnet and a whole in the sill that Is around 10 inches long other then that its ok. My family thinks that I shouldn't bother trying to fix it and just use it as a paddock basher but I have seen what can be done to them but most of the pathfinders that I find that are the same model are all in America. does anyone know where I can find a parts car in Australia and a price for it or should I just scrap it.  

Check the frame. They tend to rot over the rear axle. I didn't know my '95 was rotten until I put a screwdriver through the frame. If you've got the VG30, you can swap in the VG33 from an R50 Pathfinder, an Xterra, or a Frontier (Navara) without too much screwing around, so consider that if you decide to save it.

Is it a 4 cyl or a V6? And 2 or 4 door? They are starting to get rare here now. 

We don't really get frame rot here in Austraila as a general rule unless they have been used on the beach.
I've had 4 WD21s and they have all been rust free except the bottoms of the guards. 

Keep all over gumtree and marketplace, that's where I got mine and my parts car.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 9:10 PM, FirstGenFreak said:

Is it a 4 cyl or a V6? And 2 or 4 door? They are starting to get rare here now. 

We don't really get frame rot here in Austraila as a general rule unless they have been used on the beach.
I've had 4 WD21s and they have all been rust free except the bottoms of the guards. 

Keep all over gumtree and marketplace, that's where I got mine and my parts car.

its a 4 cylinder petrol and a 2 door.

I know that they are starting to get rare that's why my family wants me to scrap it so I don't have the trouble of trying to find parts for it and I have only seen 2 pathfinders that are close to my year they where both 4 door and 1 was turbo diesel

Edited by Projectcar
Adding info
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, FirstGenFreak said:

Ahh. Same as mine. I hope you save it!
The hard stuff to find is really only the WD specific stuff. Plenty of Navaras getting wrecked out. 

What does it need?

That I know so far it needs a

bonnet, all window rubbers, the driverside sill, driver side triangle window, motor, carpet, window switch, engine coolant overflow bottle, speedo, passenger taillight.

that all I can think of at the moment

14 hours ago, FirstGenFreak said:

You'll be able to find those bits but it will take some hunting, mainly the window and the taillight. 
Sill you'll have to make up. 

I can get a sill for a four door and the crash repair shop down the road thinks that it would still fit. is this true

From the back of the front doors to the front bumper, the 2 door and 4 doors are the same. The frame and running gear is the same between both. Here in NA, the pickup trucks in the same years were the same from the front doors forward as well in the bodies. Frames were a bit different though.

26 minutes ago, Mr_Reverse said:

From the back of the front doors to the front bumper, the 2 door and 4 doors are the same. The frame and running gear is the same between both. Here in NA, the pickup trucks in the same years were the same from the front doors forward as well in the bodies. Frames were a bit different though.

the rust starts around the middle of the door and stops around the end of the door

1 minute ago, FirstGenFreak said:

Correct, same sill profile

ok thanks does anyone know a easy way to tell what engine it is from just looking at the motor

4 cyl Petrol will be a Z24.

Engine number is on the LHS where the head meets the block. Engine number will start with 'Z24'

If it's an 89 it will have the 8 plug cylinder head. 
Can tell if you chuck up a pic. 

Parts are easy to find for these, I am rebuilding mine at the moment. 

18 hours ago, FirstGenFreak said:

4 cyl Petrol will be a Z24.

Engine number is on the LHS where the head meets the block. Engine number will start with 'Z24'

If it's an 89 it will have the 8 plug cylinder head. 
Can tell if you chuck up a pic. 

Parts are easy to find for these, I am rebuilding mine at the moment. 

Don't have a pic at the moment because my phone died I will try to get some pics

I seen a pic of a z20 and it looked the same but couldn't see how many spark plugs there were is this possible

I defiantly know that it is a 4 cylinder twin spark  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Z is the engine family, 24 is the displacement (rounded up 2389cc -> 2.4l), and the last letter tells you how it gets fuel. I is throttle body injection, E is multiport injection, and I'm pretty sure S means it's got a carburetor.

10 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Z is the engine family, 24 is the displacement (rounded up 2389cc -> 2.4l), and the last letter tells you how it gets fuel. I is throttle body injection, E is multiport injection, and I'm pretty sure S means it's got a carburetor.

Yup, S is carb

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hey everyone I have decided to sell my wd21 2 door petrol pathfinder did run when parked. its located in Curra Qld.

looking for around $1000 ono and you organise pick-up and drop off

let me know if you are interested in buying. 

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 9:57 AM, FirstGenFreak said:

If you do scrap it  (which I hope you don't) I'd be keen on buying some bits. I'm in Victoria,.

hey mate its up for sale see above comment for details