I got a 95 pathfinder with 213300 plus on the odo, 2wd auto RE4RO1A trans.... There is a rattle and a tinging noise from the front of the engine like a bearing or bolt rattling around, I'm thinking timing belt related but settles down after 45 secs to a min and there is no noise when its up to temp, no misfires or engine codes...it just seems to be the worst on cold start ups. Belt tensioner cause this? Idler pulley?

If I take things apart most of it cant go back on the engine to put it simply so taking time to troubleshoot so its not down for a month. Its weathered so new hardware is needed to anything I take off lol. It all looks original. After a hard pressure wash its also rust free and you can tell it sat for years but little rust so I'm saving her lol.

Also have an oil leak from somewhere around or on the side of the engine cover around the oil filter and where the timing cover meets the upper plastic portion cover... Anything known to crack or wear out in those areas? I'm new to the VG engines and pathfinders in general. Hope the day goes well!

Little confused. The oil filter on the VG30 in the 95 Pathfinder is on the right side of the block over the starter, nowhere near the timing cover. Also never seen a plastic cover on one, they are stamped steel. 

Common front leaks are cam and crank seals. If replacing the timing belt, good idea to replace the water pump, cam and front main seals, and the woodruff keys on the front of the crankshaft. 

The ringing noise is hard to tell without getting a good idea exactly where it is coming from. Invest in a mechanics stethoscope (they're cheap) and carefully probe around to narrow down where the noise is from. Otherwise it is a matter of elimination. Take off belts one at a time and see if the noise goes away, will also help in tracking the noise. 

• Thanks 1

1384322878_20200624_1344343.thumb.jpg.ca4694b6e9f1a911a2a323947cb272a2.jpgI know this is a random comment but i wanted to get a response from a recently active forum. I have a 98 pathfinder and the gas leaks from the only rusted potion on the line below the passenger seat. There are 5 lines 2 are brake lines i believe and 3 im not entirely sure of. Anyone know?

3 hours ago, Mr_Reverse said:

Little confused. The oil filter on the VG30 in the 95 Pathfinder is on the right side of the block over the starter, nowhere near the timing cover. Also never seen a plastic cover on one, they are stamped steel. 

Common front leaks are cam and crank seals. If replacing the timing belt, good idea to replace the water pump, cam and front main seals, and the woodruff keys on the front of the crankshaft. 

The ringing noise is hard to tell without getting a good idea exactly where it is coming from. Invest in a mechanics stethoscope (they're cheap) and carefully probe around to narrow down where the noise is from. Otherwise it is a matter of elimination. Take off belts one at a time and see if the noise goes away, will also help in tracking the noise. 

Where the oil filter is,  trace that horizontally to the front of the engine and move up there's a plastic cover that is on the upper part of the engine that meets the timing cover, oil is coming from that general area I'll see it all when I take it all off next weekend. Would've never thought to check the crank at that point.. Water pump is a good call also, easier to just do it all in one shot. Appreciate it! I'll need to figure out the pictures on here. Too big lol

Yknot,

What you are describing sounds like it could be broken exhaust manifold stud. Loudest on cold start then when engine warms and the joint expands , it stops. Very common on these engines. There are several threads on here about replacing them if this turns out to be your situation

Edited by JackStraw1

5 hours ago, JackStraw1 said:

Yknot,

What you are describing sounds like it could be broken exhaust manifold stud. Loudest on cold start then when engine warms and the joint expands , it stops. Very common on these engines. There are several threads on here about replacing them if this turns out to be your situation

Its not that pronounced and exhaust leaks to me even small ones sound like valve tick. This is like a bearing or rotating tinging noise that will quiet down as it warms up. Its for sure coming from the front of the engine.. I have a free 3 days coming up to focus on it. Its hot in Florida so waiting for it to cool off a few degrees. Really beyond those issues, for some of the things ive read, I got beyond lucky with this one. Just needs some love there is another 20 years left in it.

The 3 larger ones are the fuel lines 2 smaller ones are brake lines. The connection and fitting and the size of the line will help tell you which fluid it carries for future reference! Whatever is going back to the fuel tank is the return line!

11 hours ago, 98fixemup said:

1384322878_20200624_1344343.thumb.jpg.ca4694b6e9f1a911a2a323947cb272a2.jpgI know this is a random comment but i wanted to get a response from a recently active forum. I have a 98 pathfinder and the gas leaks from the only rusted potion on the line below the passenger seat. There are 5 lines 2 are brake lines i believe and 3 im not entirely sure of. Anyone know?

With the lines, the R50 is a little different than the WD21 in there are 2 brake lines to the rear rather than just one. The 3 larger lines are all fuel related. One is the supply from the fuel pump, one is the return to the tank, and the third is the purge line from the tank to the carbon canister, from there to the purge valve on the engine. That line is a vapor only, no liquid fuel should be in it. Easiest way to tell which is the leaker is to trace it to the engine bay. If it goes to the fuel filter, it is the pressure line. If it goes to the fuel rail, it is the return. 

Yknotauto, it has been a long time since my Pathfinder had the VG30 it originally had and it is a 93 rather than 95, and 4wd, but the VG33 I currently have isn't much different. The 2wd and 4wd WD21 is basically the same truck. I don't see any plastic cover outside the coil and distributor covers on the engine. Those are on top and not what you are describing anyway. The valve cover gaskets are leakers after about 10 years, might just be that. The location you are describing to me looks like where the power steering pump bracket is. Sorry not much help there.