Lowering a 2003 R50 LE 4x4?

masonl286

Hey guys,

I know I am going to ruffle some feathers here on an offroad forum asking about lowering springs, but I am not sure where else to turn. There is very little information about it online, as it seems everyone and their uncle slaps a 2" lift on these babies and honestly, thats originally what I had planned on doing to mine. 

Unfortunately, as I was trying to get it saftied about a month ago (I wanted to get a car again), I was told I had an insta-fail due to underbody rust and since I am not a great mechanic and dont have a lot of money, I realized I wouldn't be able to sell my truck anymore, but I still have the urge for something low and fast. I've always wanted to do something different than what is normally seen with certain cars (ex had all parts picked out and priced to lift my old 02 Jetta VR6 until the timing chain needed to be changed for $2k+), so I decided I want to make this more of a performance truck, because lift kits + all accessories needed to make it an offroad beast would cost much more (hypothetically) than just lowering it. Plus, I'm not much of an offroader ?‍♂️ 

Anyways, so far through my research I have only found this thread:

Which lead me to these

https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18980579-pathfinder-lowering-coils-2wd.html

But, alas they're R51 Coils. So now I am wondering is it even possible to lower an R50 without cutting the springs or buying a whole new shock setup to accommodate different springs?

Thanks for any help, and if you just want to tell me I'm dumb for lowering a Pathy, trust me I know.

Here she is btw

https://imgur.com/gallery/LSHkuV9

Edited by masonl286
  • Like 1

Mine were lowered from old saggy springs before I opted for the OME/LR spring combo No cutting required. Ride quality not included. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mvlzmarv said:

Mine were lowered from old saggy springs before I opted for the OME/LR spring combo No cutting required. Ride quality not included. Lol

Can you expand on what an OME/LR spring combo is? And how bad was the ride quality haha

OME/LR combo refers to Old Man Emu + Land Rover springs. However, that's of little help without information about whether those springs lifted, lowered, or kept the ride height.  The mention of part numbers or vendor information would also be helpful.

This has nothing to do with what OP has asked...

Sent from my Pathfinder

Can you expand on what an OME/LR spring combo is? And how bad was the ride quality haha

All I can really think of without cutting oem springs is having very very worn springs. Check out nicoclub. They are more down this alley

Sent from my Pathfinder

10 minutes ago, R50JR said:

All I can really think of without cutting oem springs is having very very worn springs. Check out nicoclub. They are more down this alley

Sent from my Pathfinder

Thanks, I'll have to make an account on there too haha

To further expand, I had a lowered r50 when it was on old worn and saggy suspension. I’ve since refreshed the suspension to the Combo mentioned earlier which lifted the truck. If you look into feedback with using ome front springs and Land Rover springs in the rear somewhere in the forums, you will find a big increase in both off road and on road performance.

I’ve been playing with a Nissan 240sx for the last 16years with 3 chassis with full coilovers and adjustable arms.

I can tell you the pathfinder’s Macpherson setup is similar to the 240sx while the rear Solid axle I similar to an AE86 corolla and mustangs 2014 and older.

I don’t remember any aftermarket support to lower the pathfinder so you will have to be creative with your solution. Most lift kits discussed in this forum include increased spring rates to support added weight from steel bumpers and other overlanding gear. On its own the increased spring rates on-road performance aside from the lift raising the center of gravity.

So theoretically you can look up “Bax03Se”
Username and what he did to his rig with custom springs up front and Land Rover springs in the back and cut to your desired height.

You will want a stock length or shorter shocks/struts. The rears May be easy but the front will be involved. You will have to consider the axle angle if you want to keep 4wd. And since they only make OE style front struts you will have to find ones for another car that is shorter and weld in the ears to mount to the stock knuckle and reuse Oe style top hats.

I’m not sure how serious or dedicated you are to this idea. But if you are, I definitely would love to see the end result.

To further expand, I had a lowered r50 when it was on old worn and saggy suspension. I’ve since refreshed the suspension to the Combo mentioned earlier which lifted the truck. If you look into feedback with using ome front springs and Land Rover springs in the rear somewhere in the forums, you will find a big increase in both off road and on road performance.

I’ve been playing with a Nissan 240sx for the last 16years with 3 chassis with full coilovers and adjustable arms.

I can tell you the pathfinder’s Macpherson setup is similar to the 240sx while the rear Solid axle I similar to an AE86 corolla and mustangs 2014 and older.

I don’t remember any aftermarket support to lower the pathfinder so you will have to be creative with your solution. Most lift kits discussed in this forum include increased spring rates to support added weight from steel bumpers and other overlanding gear. On its own the increased spring rates on-road performance aside from the lift raising the center of gravity.

So theoretically you can look up “Bax03Se”

Username and what he did to his rig with custom springs up front and Land Rover springs in the back and cut to your desired height.

You will want a stock length or shorter shocks/struts. The rears May be easy but the front will be involved. You will have to consider the axle angle if you want to keep 4wd. And since they only make OE style front struts you will have to find ones for another car that is shorter and weld in the ears to mount to the stock knuckle and reuse Oe style top hats.

I’m not sure how serious or dedicated you are to this idea. But if you are, I definitely would love to see the end result.

What? I mean no offense, but what you have stated is not only confusing but completely irrelevant to OP’s initial question.

Sent from my Pathfinder

What? I mean no offense, but what you have stated is not only is confusing but completely irrelevant to OP’s initial question.

Sent from my Pathfinder

I tried and said way too much. Sorry you got lost in my sea of words
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

How did you find these?!?!? I cant count how many times and different ways I've search up Pathfinder Lowering Springs/Coils and that never came up...

You're amazing. Now I just got to see if it's worth forking over $400USD for ?

EDIT - Looking at that site, it says its recommended to replace the rear shocks as well, why is that? Can I do this with just the coil springs or do I have to replace the rear shocks? And if I do have too, what's the cheapest option? So far I'm looking at around $600+ Canadian just to get the Coils delivered to me haha

Edited by masonl286

How did you find these?!?!? I cant count how many times and different ways I've search up Pathfinder Lowering Springs/Coils and that never came up...

You're amazing. Now I just got to see if it's worth forking over $400USD for

EDIT - Looking at that site, it says its recommended to replace the rear shocks as well, why is that? Can I do this with just the coil springs or do I have to replace the rear shocks? And if I do have too, what's the cheapest option? So far I'm looking at around $600+ Canadian just to get the Coils delivered to me haha

You want to replace the shocks because they will bottom out since the resting height of the vehicle will already be much lower with those springs. You’d want a shorter shock with smaller compressed length.

Sent from my Pathfinder

1 hour ago, masonl286 said:

You're amazing. Now I just got to see if it's worth forking over $400USD for ?

I searched “pathfinder lowering coils 4x4parts” and it was the 2nd result

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

I searched “pathfinder lowering coils 4x4parts” and it was the 2nd result

you're blowing my mind

8 hours ago, R50JR said:

You want to replace the shocks because they will bottom out since the resting height of the vehicle will already be much lower with those springs. You’d want a shorter shock with smaller compressed length.

Sent from my Pathfinder

ok that makes sense, thank you

4x4Parts is also a notorious Pathfinder aftermarket supplier. Definitely check the shipping - it’s unreasonably expensive in the US, I shudder to think what it will be to Canada.

• Like 1