2000 rear axle housing on 1996

slpknot1514

Thought it would swap right on too. However, the shocks, coil springs and both top and bottom brackets/attachment points for shocks are different. Seems new rear axle assembly came out for the 99's & beyond. Shocks are basically flipped upside down on the 2000 compared to the 96. 96's have stud on body vs 2000's bracket on body for upper shock attachment. Bracket on axle assembly for shock is couple inches lower on 2000 than the '96 and a stud. Coil springs seem to been a little shorter on the 2000. Can I rotate the lower shock attachment of the '96 90deg to address the shock fitment problem? Which springs to use? ABS from 2000 should plug right in. I have the entire 2000 donor. I'll send some pics for visualization. 

Edited by slpknot1514

Late chiming in.  The shock mounts are the only major difference.  Everything else interchanges.

For the lower shock mount, you could weld on shock tabs to the backside of the mounting tower to match the older style.  Then you could cut off the low-hanging parts of the shock tower.  Alternatively, you can determine if your truck has the mounting provisions to use the upper shock mount bracket from the newer truck.  Not sure how cleanly the bracket comes off, but when I've looked at mine, they seem bolted, glued, and spot welded on.  Either option should allow you to retain use of an off-the-shelf shock so you're not fussing with something oddball (or...take this an opportunity to convert it to use something better).

Too bad you weren't closer...I could swap you with early model axle.

• 3 weeks later...