Climate control lights

Strato_54

Over the past little while i have been attempting a full LED conversion. I have completed the dash but i want to also do the climate control back lighting, but i cant for the life of me figure out how to get it out. On top of not being able to find many videos or threads on this topic, i dont have a spare unit to play with if this one breaks. So with that said, has any one does the back light LED install on the unit before? If so how in the world did you get that done lmao

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I played around with mine last weekend. Got it loose but couldn't wiggle it out of the slot for the HVAC controls but figured it would come out if I took the head unit out so I could push it back, down, and out through the double DIN hole. This seems to confirm that approach (I didn't have time to try it): 

Edited by jlduthie
Cut/paste error
  • Like 1

I can confirm that this works. You don't even have to take the module entirely out. The illumination lights for the panel are on the top left and right centre and are easy to access through the double DIN for the head unit.  Just did it.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2020 at 1:01 PM, jlduthie said:

I can confirm that this works. You don't even have to take the module entirely out. The illumination lights for the panel are on the top left and right centre and are easy to access through the double DIN for the head unit.  Just did it.

Ok sick thats awesome. ill get more of those LEDs on amazon since i used all mine on my dumby lights and my indicators. i assumed that i had to pop off the knobs and had to pull off the face plate for the HVAC. Couldnt find much when i looked around and all the PB links were dead. thank you, you have made my night!

No problem! Didn’t take photos when I did it as I forgot phone but pulled a spare HVAC controller from the wrecker yesterday. I’ll grab a pic when I get home today 

When you pull the HVAC controls through the double DIN you’ll be looking at it like this. The paired blue/white wires left and right of centre are the bulbs for the dials. They just twist out.  I didn’t bother with the Recirc and A/C lamps - I understand they are 12V integrates bulb/switches and not easily replaced with LEDs. 
1XKLSEo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 4:14 PM, jlduthie said:

When you pull the HVAC controls through the double DIN you’ll be looking at it like this. The paired blue/white wires left and right of centre are the bulbs for the dials. They just twist out.  I didn’t bother with the Recirc and A/C lamps - I understand they are 12V integrates bulb/switches and not easily replaced with LEDs. 
1XKLSEo.jpg

thanks for the picture. didnt see this until now but i will be getting them changed here this week or something just gotta wait for amazon to ship my pack. im not going ot bother doing the ac and recirc either all i need is the dials to be changed. maybe if i have enough extra ill try them but ill see where i get to

EDIT: cam i change the bulb in the wiper switch for the rear aswell?

Edited by Strato_54

On 7/28/2020 at 6:49 AM, jlduthie said:

No problem! I haven’t looked at the rear wiper switch but it should be easy to pull when you take the centre console trim off 

ive looked up pictures of the switch and it looks like a few clips on the side and the switch cover and rocker comes off but im not sure if it uses the same bulb as the rest of my dash. when i do pull it apart ill make sure to put it back here for anyone else reading

welp thats a negative on the wiper switch getting an LED for today. took it apart and the bulb is insanely tiny. i also could not get the ash tray light out i think its soldered in there and the cigarette lighter light i did change but it wouldn't click back in because the LED was too tall. so i just glued it in and called it a day. i was finally also able to get the HVAC. i guess the first time i just didn't try hard enough but it does take some force to get it to move. Dash looks great now and i am very pleased :)

Edited by Strato_54
  • Like 1

Great to hear you got the HVAC done and thanks for the heads up about the wiper switch!

My ashtray bulb was permanently fixed as well. I ended up breaking the bulb so trimmed the plastic housing and soldered an LED in place and glued it back in. 

2 hours ago, jlduthie said:

Great to hear you got the HVAC done and thanks for the heads up about the wiper switch!

My ashtray bulb was permanently fixed as well. I ended up breaking the bulb so trimmed the plastic housing and soldered an LED in place and glued it back in. 

i might just end up doing that also. i mean i dont smoke but it would just finish the rest of the car having all interior LED