Front lower control arm FRONT bushing

jjonez

So I've found plenty of posts about the strut rod bushings and UCA bushings, but haven't found many mentions about the front LCA FRONT bushings.  It looks like they are pressed into the truck frame as opposed to the LCA.  Does anyone have a proven method to remove/replace these?  Thanks!

Have fun. You have to relieve tension on the torsion bars before you can drop the LCA. The anchor arm underneath the second crossmember needs to be loosened, but the locking nut on top needs to be loosened first. All 19 mm (3/4”) bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I did mine I drilled through the rubber all around until I could get the center section out. Then cut the outer shell with a sazall.  It was a pain.  Absolutely go with the energy suspension replacement bushings,  I believe you leave the outer shell from the original bushing in the frame and these fit inside. Just burn the remaining rubber out with a torch.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, snowboard419 said:

When I did mine I drilled through the rubber all around until I could get the center section out. Then cut the outer shell with a sazall.  It was a pain.  Absolutely go with the energy suspension replacement bushings,  I believe you leave the outer shell from the original bushing in the frame and these fit inside. Just burn the remaining rubber out with a torch.

That's exactly how I did mine. 

Thanks guys!  I'm guessing the energy suspension replacement is poly?  Do you notice a difference in ride quality with this one being poly?  I like my squishy ride.

Whatever the difference in ride quality the poly bushings are so much easier to install. You will thank yourself for buying them. I did the oem style once and will NEVER do that again if I have a split poly option. 

I am different. The only poly bushings I used was the UCA bushings, but I got tired of getting less than 10k miles out of them before they were worn out enough to clunk. After the 3rd set, put in the extra effort and run the rubber. Those give me much better life. That said, still have the original front lower control arm bushings. Oddly they don't seem to have worn out on my truck. Every other bushings have been replaced a few times. 

Just remember to mark your torsion bars so they go back in the way they are now. Installing them backwards and or on the wrong sides can lead to breakage. I suggest getting replacement bolts for the LCA before you start, odds are they will not come out clean. 

Huh, I always heard poly was supposed to outlast whatever vehicle they went in.  I was planning for rubber on the UCA's anyways.  The LCA front bushing I'm not even sure if I'll do yet, but I wanted to see if anyone has tackled it

My problem with the poly bushings might just be a combination of my crappy luck and the environment I live in. Seems what happens to them with me, is dirt and sand gets between the bushing and the inner sleeve, then starts grinding away on the bushing. After about a year the sleeve is flopping around in the bushing. Didn't seem to matter if I installed them dry(squeeked horribly), used paste lube, or dry lube. They just wore out around the sleeve. The environment here is pretty dry, so plenty of dry dirt willing to act like sandpaper. 

The poly ones never last for me either, in the UCA at least. I'm like Mr_Reverse, I've never had a bad LCA bushing on any of my pathfinders. The 4x4parts poly ones were the worst. I'd be lucky to get 2 years out of them. Luckily you can press in factory rubber bushings into those UCA.

• 3 weeks later...

Gday gents are we talking about the bush behind this mount, mine are well flogged out and I tired to get them apart once without much luck, resulted in a damaged  nut hence the replacement. PS don't mind the oil leak its on the list

20200708_185407.jpg