1989 4x4 pathfinder Vacuum help.

Gank208

Hey everyone,

I usually pretty good at figuring things like this out, but i'm stumped this time.
I bought a FSM but the vacuum diagram is hard for me to really follow since it doesn't really look like it does in the engine bay. 

The Kid i purchased the pathy from had removed some of the smog gear and seems to have rerouted some of the vacuum lines.

Also replaced fuel filter!

Issues. 
When cold the pathy will start and idle but almost sounds like its missing and almost dies.

Ran codes and only got a code for a MAF. Replaced Maf and issue got worse ?

Tried to block off some of the vacuum lines and replaced the others.

Can anyone give me a better idea of what Vacuum is actually needed, and maybe some photos?

I would really appreciate the help I cant even drive the pathy right now.

I can when I get home.
Basically 

Items i am for sure are still there:

charcoal canister

A/B valve still connected but will be removed and blocked off.

A.I.V solenoid valve has one line that goes to a T( one side goes to a of branch from the intake, the other goes to the AB and will be capped.) Then the other two open outlets are connected to each other in a small loop.

EGR and I think all of its components ( still trying to find a decent write up with pictures so I can cut out all the EGR stuff)

Items I am for sure are gone:

A.I.V box

A.I.V Case

None of the vacuum lines to the air cleaner are connected.

And crankcase has a motorcycle air filter on it.

Edited by Gank208

In basic I want to remove all VAC thats not needed and the EGR system since mine is from 89 (never replaced).

I know I need to keep the vac for the fuel pressure regulator but is there any others that are 100% needed?

Also sad note I got it started yesterday by pumping the gas while turning over and it started but backfired and died (along with my hopes and dreams)

I'll run back up there after dinner and snap some pics of everything for you. I still have EGR hooked up so you can see how it should be in there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Also double check your cam timing and distributor timing, if that's off it'll run like absolute crap

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much!!!
For real you are doing me a big solid. I have till September to get it up and running for hunting season.

List of replacements thus far:

Replaced spark plugs, wires, distro cap and rotor.

Maf

Fuel filter

air filter

Replaced some wiring from block temp sensor, and distro wire .

Also had a friend check timing on distro and it seemed correct, cam timing we are not 100% sure on yet. 
I have to replace the valve cover gaskets any ways so i will check cam timing when i get to the valve covers.

Its strange because it was running decent 2 weeks before, but would rev limit at what i think would be 3000-4000 RPM

Edited by Gank208

Ok heres some pics!

The bare nipple on the egr solenoid goes to the hose seen on the air box in the last pic.

The bottom hose on the evap canister goes to the nipple on the front of the throttle body where my finger is pointing under the throttle and cruise control cables.

The top hose on the evap canister goes to the nipple next to the one where the egr solenoid.

I think that sums up all the weird connections but let me know if you need any other pics
e647b7ac30f130695cb2974c319a9a56.jpgad2ed45df1d8583364372f1271a455b6.jpgcf7745c3c1e02d719ad438748a000f75.jpg7564d905c67b0b1072c3ff5f4c63c9ca.jpgaa36514c06a51473697f21ebb20c7808.jpg05cda8d9cd3553375bf7c3b0c3644862.jpgddd4973619ea33d166ff89c36baad1c6.jpg08d7d6472f4468713fa593f20cf0dcef.jpg2d6e78205a8270e636616ed939d52017.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you!!! 

I took some of mine but I guess the files are to big cause my phone takes great pictures lol. I'll take some new ones in a few with my settings turned down

Thank you!!! 
I took some of mine but I guess the files are to big cause my phone takes great pictures lol. I'll take some new ones in a few with my settings turned down

Use Tapatalk and then the built in camera function. Saves a ton of time and it makes sure your pic shows up lol

Downloading tapatalk now lol.

Does you a/b valve has a t in the line running to it or is ran right down to that connection on the intake mana?

Downloading tapatalk now lol.
Does you a/b valve has a t in the line running to it or is ran right down to that connection on the intake mana?
All I have for egr is the valve and solenoid lol I dont remember anything like that being there when I thinned everything out.

I ran my Anti backfire valve straight to the vacuum nipple up front and got rid of all the vacuum lines running over to the air injection smog stuff.

The little thermo thing in the air box was removed and deleted as seen in my pic so the only vacuum line coming from that is going to the egr solenoid.

The plugged vacuum line can be shortened and left plugged, along with one of the other ones right next to it on that fitting, iirc it goes to that thermo thing in the air box and then the other part of that goes to the hot air warm up flapper thing on the intake tube on the air box.

By the way I got to say that is a good looking setup. One day mine will look that clean :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

By the way I got to say that is a good looking setup. One day mine will look that clean Set_2_smile.gif

Lol thanks, it's been a journey getting it back right again. Took me 5 years to get it on the road

Looks like mine is going to be the same lol. Replaced all vacuum. Ran all the vac lines like yours and wont even start cold. Adjusted fuel/air and stumbles a bit then dies. I think I will have to custom wire the maf sensor. Just bought a new one and got that code again from the ecu :(

Edited by Gank208

Looks like mine is going to be the same lol. Replaced all vacuum. Ran all the vac lines like yours and wont even start cold. Adjusted fuel/air and stumbles a bit then dies. I think I will have to custom wire the maf sensor. Just bought a new one and got that code again from the ecu

Make sure your timing is right. If someone put a belt on wrong itll never run right until thatd taken care of. Also these things run like ass with the air box off so make sure that's on there

I didnt even think about the air box lol, I was try to start it with that off. backfires like a sob I'm worried the egr is clogged and the wiring for the maf is fuggered. I'll have to double check timing next weekend if my buddy can make it down. Since I cant keep it running I cant use a timing light so....yeah.
Maybe the kid got the good deal not me lol

I didnt even think about the air box lol, I was try to start it with that off. backfires like a sob I'm worried the egr is clogged and the wiring for the maf is fuggered. I'll have to double check timing next weekend if my buddy can make it down. Since I cant keep it running I cant use a timing light so....yeah.
Maybe the kid got the good deal not me lol

Pull your upper timing cover and make sure the timing marks line up, with it backfiring it sounds like either ignition timing or cam timing is off. What you can try and do if the timing belt is good to go is turn the distributor counter clock wise just a bit and see if that helps. Clockwise is advanced timing btw

I got to say you have been awesome for real!!
I did notice that the distro is turned like 80% of the way clockwise currently and I felt like that was a ton. But I'm so new to nissan tbi I cant trust anything I think lol

I got to say you have been awesome for real!!
I did notice that the distro is turned like 80% of the way clockwise currently and I felt like that was a ton. But I'm so new to nissan tbi I cant trust anything I think lol

Get your cam timing double checked and make sure your distributor is installed correctly lol it sounds like they just slapped it in there to sell it. Mine is just ever so slightly advanced past center and I'm at 15 degrees advance