Tires

What tires are you running on your pathfinder? Any of you experience the Hercules Terra Trac AT2? I can get a set for sub 900 but I've read mixed reviews. Some say great off road, some say never go off road so I'm not sure I should pull the trigger. 

KO2s have great reviews but my mechanic mentioned my truck is too light weight to have 10 ply tires on. 

I have the 9447s and bilsteins in the back and the ome HDs up front and I usually just explore logging roads. So huge puddles and rough gravel/rocks. Not much crawling or mud bogging. Would like to get out as much as possible this summer. Any suggestions? 

I am running BFG KO not the KO2. theyre a 235/75/15 and run amazing but in the future im planning on going for some KO2 265/70/16 or something like that when i get wheels. Also have the KO2 on our Armada and KO on my dads F250 Lariat they have been nothing but great to us. We have had Wranglers on before but they were wearing really fast on road and was rounding off the sides of the tread. Had them on both the Armada and the 6.0 and both times same thing.

Edited by Strato_54

Currently Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 31x10.5x15 on a stock 1996 Pathfinder SE, good tire for PNW terrain.

Going for either KO2, Peakmaster or Destination as next tire for Arizona desert terrain, along with a small lift.

Not sure why he would say your truck is too light weight for the KO2s? I ran KO2s for a few years and they were perfect in every way. Great off-road, and on the highway. Didn’t find them harsh or noisy at all

That said, I currently run 235/85/R16 Wildpeak AT3Ws and I like them even better than the KO2s. They’re both fantastic though, can’t go wrong either way

I run 245/75/16 10 ply KO2 on my 03 and it’s fine. They ride a little harsh but are indestructible! I also use my truck a lot in the winter to get out skiing and they’re great in snow.

Have you looked at Wrangler Duratracs? Canadian tire often runs sales on them. Very popular tire. 

50 minutes ago, PathyGig12 said:

Not sure why he would say your truck is too light weight for the KO2s?

He was under the impression I was looking at E Load Rating for some reason. He seems to think the C load rating isn't very common either. Idk... seems to really want to push the Hercules for some reason.

13 minutes ago, dezm said:

I run 245/75/16 10 ply KO2 on my 03 and it’s fine. They ride a little harsh but are indestructible! I also use my truck a lot in the winter to get out skiing and they’re great in snow.

Have you looked at Wrangler Duratracs? Canadian tire often runs sales on them. Very popular tire. 

Indestructible is preferred! Never want to have a tire fall apart on the trail. I did take a look at the Duratracs but I think I'd take the KO2's at roughly the same price. Seems everyone rides those on here.

Indestructible is preferred! Never want to have a tire fall apart on the trail. I did take a look at the Duratracs but I think I'd take the KO2's at roughly the same price. Seems everyone rides those on here.

Yeah for sure, I would say for good reason too. Can’t really seem to go wrong with them. I’d only consider the Duratracs if you wanted a lighter rating as I think they have different offerings in the same size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Duratracs are a good general purpose tire. The state Fish and Game here in the northern part of the state are running them on their trucks. 

My 2004 Sorento had Firestone Destination LE when I inherited it from my sister. When my mom bought it new it had Michelin tires that even she hated. We put the Destination LE on because it stayed on the pavement most of the time with just some dirt roads when my mom went camping. I ran them until they wore out(my sister had replaced them once or twice while she had the truck) and then I put a set of Bridgestone Dueler Revos on because it saw more off pavement use with me. They worked great for me, but they did get slippery when they got down to 4/32" and my daughter put a set of Ironman ATs on. She seems happy with them (I lost the Sorento to her a bit over a year ago, my Pathfinder is not happy being a DD again and living on the pavement again). 

Many years ago, I had BFG AT on my truck, the first gen and I found them a bit disappointing. They worked ok, but not great for me. 

I have always paid the extra for LTs on the SUVs I have had because I like having the stronger tire on my trucks because I do go off pavement. I have also stuck with the load range C, (10 ply) because I felt the heavier D and E are too stiff and heavy for good performance in my applications. 

Look into General Grabber AT2. I run 31x10.50x15 LTs. They have been a great all round tire for me. A couple of winters ago we had 2+ feet of snow and I had no problem with it. I even pulled out a couple of stuck side-by-sides which left the drivers a little impressed. I think the Grabbers are a little cheaper than the KOs but they might not be as good of tire. I'm just going by my experiences.

44 minutes ago, Megaton said:

Look into General Grabber AT2. I run 31x10.50x15 LTs. They have been a great all round tire for me. A couple of winters ago we had 2+ feet of snow and I had no problem with it. I even pulled out a couple of stuck side-by-sides which left the drivers a little impressed. I think the Grabbers are a little cheaper than the KOs but they might not be as good of tire. I'm just going by my experiences.

That's awesome. My neighbor has a set of those on his ranger and they look mean. Thanks for the suggestion! 

3 hours ago, Mr_Reverse said:

I have always paid the extra for LTs on the SUVs I have had because I like having the stronger tire on my trucks because I do go off pavement.

That's what I'm thinking too. Heard about these terra tracks but there doesn't seem to be a lot of experience with them out there and not being an LT I'm a little hesitant. Thanks for the nput! 

That's what I'm thinking too. Heard about these terra tracks but there doesn't seem to be a lot of experience with them out there and not being an LT I'm a little hesitant. Thanks for the nput! 

When I purchased my frontier, they came with original terra tracs. They were decent tires but I wouldn’t buy them.

Sent from my Pathfinder