Opinion on Brake kits

v6tx

The dealer I bought my QX4 from put the cheapest metallic pads on during the restoration process.

Time for those to go as they're eating the rotors.

Looking at Rockauto Brake Kits I see they have Daily Driver, Premium and Heavy Duty.

Was going with a Daily Driver but the Heavy Duty caught my eye due to the emphasis on it being for truck, towing and offroad:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3804288&cc=1432946&jsn=359&jsn=359

Is this overkill?  I have another vehicle with slotted rotors and track pads that squeals and dusts like crazy.  Don't want that if I plan on only towing a motorcycle or light off roading peridocially.

Edited by v6tx

In my experience a set of standard style rotors are more than adequate with a set of ceramic pads due to them being very low dust makers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I tried braided lines on mine. Noticed zero difference. Went back to rubber when I realized that the lines I had weren't coated, and so were vulnerable to abrasion as road dust got between the stainless steel and the hose inside.

The dealer I bought my QX4 from put the cheapest metallic pads on during the restoration process.

Time for those to go as they're eating the rotors.

Looking at Rockauto Brake Kits I see they have Daily Driver, Premium and Heavy Duty.

Was going with a Daily Driver but the Heavy Duty caught my eye due to the emphasis on it being for truck, towing and offroad:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3804288&cc=1432946&jsn=359&jsn=359

Is this overkill?  I have another vehicle with slotted rotors and track pads that squeals and dusts like crazy.  Don't want that if I plan on only towing a motorcycle or light off roading peridocially.

I have those brakes. The pads suck as they are mostly metallic. I bought ceramic pads and they are much better. As others have said, oe style brakes are the way to go. Also braided brake lines do nothing for performance.

Sent from my Pathfinder

The braided I got for mine helped. They are longer so don't act like limiting straps for me. Also DOT cerified, so have the braid covered to prevent problems with dirt abrasions outside diameter is smaller so if you have clearance concerns, a plus there. Over all, not a noticable difference in normal driving, but did notice a slight difference in pedal height and firmness under hard braking. For the record, I have managed to lock up the 33x12.50's on my Pathfinder a few times. Not easy or fun, but a bit comforting to know that the brakes can apply that kind of pressure. 

I am running ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors. I opted for rotors that are designed for it rather than the regular ones that got machined. The construction is a little different and have been working great for me. But what works for me, is often different than what works for others. The stock 3.3 from an Xterra shifts my truck along fine. Have no problems keeping up with traffic or reaching freeway speeds on the on ramps, but hear all the time how under powered they are. Last winter got a F350 sunk to the axles in the snow out and rolling, though I think the kenetic rope was a factor as well. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 9:34 PM, R50JR said:

I have those brakes. The pads suck as they are mostly metallic. I bought ceramic pads and they are much better. As others have said, oe style brakes are the way to go. Also braided brake lines do nothing for performance.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Good to know.  Bought my QX4 used with the cheapest discount auto store metallic pads the dealer could get to sell it as "with new brakes."

The metal on metal grinding started after just under 1k miles.  I hate metallic pads.

I honestly just grab the best aftermarket rotors I can find (raybestos or delco professional are good) and some good semi metallic pads. Ceramic has a @!*% cold bite and I find semi-metallic work the best on the pathfinder. I ran Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramics once and I tore them off the truck after 10k because I couldn't handle it anymore.