Starter Contacts 94

Teesetz

The 94 intermittently does a no crank no start. When it doesn’t do it, it starts up great and normal. Was reading because of where and how the oil filter sits, you can easily drip oil on the starter when changing it, and mess with and wear the contacts, and result in what is exactly happening with mine.

It would make sense since I unfortunately because of time sake (2.5yr old takes all my time) got my oil changed at Valvoline. Which I’m sure they wouldn’t care to take any preventive measures to get any oil on the starter.

Am I out to lunch, or is their any bit of validity to this?

It is a possibility, I have had it happen to mine. More likely you have a failing ignition switch. The starter contact in the switch starts getting iffy after a decade or 2. Easiest way to tell is to connect a voltmeter to the solenoid wire and a good ground. Have someone turn the ignition to start and see if you have battery voltage at the starter solenoid. If so and the starter is not cranking well, then the starter needs replacing. If like in most cases it drops to 9v or less, then the switch is the most likely problem. 

An easy place to get at the wiring for the testing is a grey oval connector with 2 wires. A black with purple stripe that is large and a yellow with blue stripe. It is next to the battery. The black/purple wire is for the starter. If you use a jumper from the positive post to the black/purple wire, the starter should crank normally. 

This where I installed a relay years ago when my starting issues got bad. It allowed the failing switch to keep working.

Edited by Mr_Reverse

Thanks for the great advice. I will give that a try. The ignition switch seems more plausible. The whole key tumblr is quite loose in the steering column

10 minutes ago, Teesetz said:

Once the kids older and wants to help, waiting on the day. Lol

My nephew as well, loves the Pathfinder and thinks that it is quite fun to drive up the 45 degree slope towards the cottage through the trees and over the rocks. I just need to make a rear e-brake line for the disc-brake rear axle and have the frame repaired before I give it to him on his birthday in a few years. Should be a hoot to see him driving it around for the first while!!

• Like 1

Yep my first car was 90 pathy and I was going everywhere my friends couldn’t. Looks like he’ll get the privilege to do the same !

• Like 1