02 QX4 Vibration Question

oneninty8d

Hi everyone, 

I have done a lot of things to my QX4 that I need to put into a build thread (cv replacement, valve cover gasket, bearing repack, rack and pinion boots, manual locking hubs, sunroof leak repair). There's one thing though that I can't figure out, and it's an intermittent vibration coming from the front right wheel when the cv axle is engaged. I have gone through and checked the cv axle install, repacked the bearings, checked the needle bearing, nothing changes. When I installed the manual locking hubs it went away when the cv isn't engaged, but came back when it was. I would think if it were a bearing or suspension it would be constant right? I checked the diff fluid and it was a little low, but there was fluid in it and it's not leaking. 

Any help would be much appreciated! 

Thanks!

Huh, well, I checked the shaft going from the transfer case to the diff and the U-joints seemed fine. I bought new cv axles, was that what you were talking about? I drove it today and I think it might have something to do with the suspension, since it's not constant.

Check the front diff mount bushings. If those go bad, the diff can flop around, resulting in a weird pinion angle, which, if the driveshaft is turning, causes vibration. I think I remember reading where somebody's vibration in 4x turned out to be that.

I didn't lift it personally, the previous owner did. From the documents he gave me, looks like he installed AC coils and Rancho XL shocks in the back and KYB GR2 struts in the front. Not sure about the springs, there are no spacers at the top or bottom, but a spacer in between the coils of the spring? I wouldn't think it would be cv angle being too steep though, as I believe he told me it was only lifted an inch in the front (I don't know what the stock ride height is, but it's 34" from the ground to the top of the fender in the front). I'll check the bushings, there's nothing really loose on it, per se, but from the docs looks like the previous owner didn't drive it for about a decade so there's a bunch of dry rotted rubber.

I assume since you said it was coming from the passenger side you were able to create the vibration by locking that hub and leaving the other unlocked. If that's the case it is going to the hub, axle, or differential. It is possible you got a bad axle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I assume since you said it was coming from the passenger side you were able to create the vibration by locking that hub and leaving the other unlocked. If that's the case it is going to the hub, axle, or differential. It is possible you got a bad axle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 4/24/2020 at 3:50 PM, oneninty8d said:

Hi everyone, 

I have done a lot of things to my QX4 that I need to put into a build thread (cv replacement, valve cover gasket, bearing repack, rack and pinion boots, manual locking hubs, sunroof leak repair). There's one thing though that I can't figure out, and it's an intermittent vibration coming from the front right wheel when the cv axle is engaged. I have gone through and checked the cv axle install, repacked the bearings, checked the needle bearing, nothing changes. When I installed the manual locking hubs it went away when the cv isn't engaged, but came back when it was. I would think if it were a bearing or suspension it would be constant right? I checked the diff fluid and it was a little low, but there was fluid in it and it's not leaking. 

Any help would be much appreciated! 

Thanks!

Of topic but how did you repair your sunroof? Any chance you found a gasket you could make work?

Mines currently sealed with RV tape. I didn't want to caulk it because the motor is still good. 

Ah, well, when I got it the sunroof was stuck open, and I guess it had been stuck open for a while cause the whole drain area was clogged. So I had to clean out the drains at the top cause they were filled with dirt and what not. Cleaned those out, but then I resealed the joints where the plastic parts meet with permatex black rubber sealant.

322d373523e35fb6ccad6435dc01f8f6.jpg

That was the passenger side, the second one I did. The first side looks like... well, it will get the job done in the interim.

I’m not sure if this is what you’re dealing with, but it hasn’t rained yet, for the real test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk