R50 to Qx4 part conversion?

Dtugs

So I’m new to the forums as a member but would browse through for useful information, well anyway I was on market place just browsing and I see a nice Qx4, has some rust on the doors but it could be fixed. Well that got me thinking, I’m not too sure but isn’t the body, chassis the same for the Qx4 and pathfinder, so would you be able to in theory swap the fenders hood, front bumper, etc or is the Qx4 wider or something else that would stop it from fitting right? I’m not really sure what category to put this in, but I just wonder, could be cool if you could not sure though, if anyone could explain why or why not I’d appreciate it.

• Like 1

That should work. Not sure how much behind the bumper and so forth you'd have to grab to make sure everything bolts up properly (I don't think you'll need anything other than the superficial stuff, but I'm no expert), but the vehicles are the same width and so forth so not massive issues like you're worried about; it's all the same unibody structure. Depending on the year, the QX4 may have HID headlights, so there may be some wiring to do to get them going, but if you can they look great in my opinion (shape and light output), so worth it. The plastic flares on the QX4's fenders on post-facelift models does flow into the trim on the doors, so if you're planning to swap all the bits front to back you can make the look smooth and complete, but otherwise you may have some compromises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, bodywise, the parts can be swapped around. 

A little thing I discovered while working at the Nissan dealership, the QX4 in 2004 I think it was offered an early version active cruise control. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the help, I just think it would be kinda cool to have a pathfinder posing as a qx4,don't get me wrong the pathfinders' great and I like Nissan, I just really like the qx4 look better, plus i know that the older qx4s had the 3.3L I believe, and I wasnt gonna get that now I can achieve the same power as an 04? qx4, without having to buy a brand new car. I already have the interior door peices on just wasn't sure about the exterior, thanks for clearing all this up, another reason this fourm is so amazing, now with the hid headlights, would I need a conversion kit of some sort or just wire it to the factory plugs I doubt that would work, but now that I know I can do this swap a lot of doors I'm gonna be opening in the near future, again thank you all for the help

8 hours ago, Mr_Reverse said:

Yep, bodywise, the parts can be swapped around. 

A little thing I discovered while working at the Nissan dealership, the QX4 in 2004 I think it was offered an early version active cruise control. 

My 2002 had that, it was pretty awesome. They called it ICC (Intelligent Cruise Control). It even had several options for following distance.

8 hours ago, Dozzerwd21 said:

What's active cruise?

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

It allows you to set your cruise control to some speed, and if you come up behind slower traffic it'll automatically slow you down to match their pace.

• Like 1

2002? I knew that Nissan was a very early pioneer of the system, but didn't realize it was that early. 

Yep it is great. They have really refined it to a great level in the new Nissans. While I was working at the dealership, I decided to give one an in-depth test after going through a training module on it. On my test drive loop I used, I set the cruise at 60 on the freeway, then got off onto a trunk road that the dealership was on about a mile from the freeway. I never touched the brakes all the way back to the dealership. It was kinda freaky that the car slowed down and matched the speed of the car in front of me and kept the distance pretty well. What was really wild was at the red light, the car in front stopped and so did the one I was driving. When the light went green, we both started going again. 

A few months later, I had a chance to try out a Maxima with the propilot, that was really crazy, the car pretty much drove itself as long as I kept my hand on the wheel. With my hands off, after about 30 seconds (was on a lightly traveled surface street with a 30 mph limit) the car pulled itself over to the right and stopped. It was beeping and flashing warnings to me, but the system worked surprisingly well. I have driven a few different cars with lane assist, but to me, the Nissan system seemed the least intrusive, but calibration of all the cameras and sensors is a PITA. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dozzerwd21 said:

Whoa that pretty cool. Although I never use cruise control.

With how I treated the vehicle the sensor broke pretty quick so I had to get used to no cruise lol, although now my 4Runner has working cruise (only the regular kind sadly) and I love using it on the highway.

7 minutes ago, Mr_Reverse said:

2002? I knew that Nissan was a very early pioneer of the system, but didn't realize it was that early. 

Yep it is great. They have really refined it to a great level in the new Nissans. While I was working at the dealership, I decided to give one an in-depth test after going through a training module on it. On my test drive loop I used, I set the cruise at 60 on the freeway, then got off onto a trunk road that the dealership was on about a mile from the freeway. I never touched the brakes all the way back to the dealership. It was kinda freaky that the car slowed down and matched the speed of the car in front of me and kept the distance pretty well. What was really wild was at the red light, the car in front stopped and so did the one I was driving. When the light went green, we both started going again. 

A few months later, I had a chance to try out a Maxima with the propilot, that was really crazy, the car pretty much drove itself as long as I kept my hand on the wheel. With my hands off, after about 30 seconds (was on a lightly traveled surface street with a 30 mph limit) the car pulled itself over to the right and stopped. It was beeping and flashing warnings to me, but the system worked surprisingly well. I have driven a few different cars with lane assist, but to me, the Nissan system seemed the least intrusive, but calibration of all the cameras and sensors is a PITA. 

It's really insane how far car tech has come, especially about cruise control related stuff.

For a 2002 that thing was really well equipped, it had touch screen sat nav, 4 heated seats, memory driver's seat, intelligent cruise control, auto 4wd, and other features that I don't even remember, quite a lot of luxury features for a "truck"! If I get another R50 I'm very tempted for it to just be an immaculate and well-optioned QX4 for a nice daily driver.

Sounds like yours was the fully loaded one. Kinda funny how it put high end luxury cars of only 5 to 10 years older to shame with all the touches, and at at a lower price at the time too, isn't it?

Me I find myself yearning for usable cupholders these days. 

Edited by Mr_Reverse

Sounds like yours was the fully loaded one. Kinda funny how it put high end luxury cars of only 5 to 10 years older to shame with all the touches, and at at a lower price at the time too, isn't it?

Me I find myself yearning for usable cupholders these days. 
Yes please someone make cup holders to fit wd21s

20 minutes ago, Dozzerwd21 said:

Yes please someone make cup holders to fit wd21s

I know! They don't even have the crappy ones that you hung on the doors anymore.