Mass Air Flow Sensor Question 01 Pathfinder

andrewf

Hey guys. I recently acquired a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE for the best price...free (hand me down from wife's grandmother). I've had it for a little more than two months and so far it's been a great vehicle that is very fun to drive. But tonight, I had my first problem. It threw a check engine line P0100 (mass air flow sensor) and was running very poorly. The engine would not rev beyond around 2500 RPMs. 

I pulled the MAF this evening and this is what I found (pic below). This may be a dumb question, but am I correct that a piece has totally broken off? I found this part from O'Reilly's that seems to suggest that is the case. And my second question is, if that piece has broken off where the hell is it now? Should I be worried it was likely sucked into the intake manifold? 

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/blue-streak-electronics-5882/engine-sensors---emissions-25132/engine-sensors-25049/mass-air-flow-sensor-meter-12040/2c278c9432b0/blue-streak-electronics-mass-air-flow-sensor-new/mf21079n/6103032/2001/nissan/pathfinder?q=mass+air+flow+sensor%2Fmeter&pos=0

IMG-3535.jpg

Edited by andrewf

Get a new one for an 01 Nissan Maxima, driver swap and hella cheaper than a Nissan one. I would NOT use anything other than an oem Nissan part to replace this. Aftermarket mafs always have issues 

What does the other side of the sensor look like?

Edit: just looked at the rest of the pictures from O'Reillys and it seems like if that got sucked in, your engine will be fine lol, nissans are tough.

Edited by Cbiggy

Huh. Yeah, that does kinda look like something's missing, and I think I see stubs where it would've attached. Looks like a thermistor or something in the oreally listing (and the listings on Rockauto). Hopefully the engine chewed it up and spat it out without issue. Seems odd that it would've come completely off, though. I would've expected one leg to fail before the other (assuming they failed from vibration or something), and that should've coded right then, not waited for it to fall completely off. Maybe it fell out when you removed the sensor? I'd check the intake tube and the airbox to see if you can find it. Otherwise, new sensor, send it, hope for the best.

Thanks for all the responses. Yeah, I looked in the air box but I didn’t see anything. Should probably look again though. 

About a new one...I’ve found from researching this site that the part number for the Maxima one that works is part #22680-2Y001. I’m going to rush order one of these today and hopefully fix this issue. 

18 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Huh. Yeah, that does kinda look like something's missing, and I think I see stubs where it would've attached. Looks like a thermistor or something in the oreally listing (and the listings on Rockauto). Hopefully the engine chewed it up and spat it out without issue. Seems odd that it would've come completely off, though. I would've expected one leg to fail before the other (assuming they failed from vibration or something), and that should've coded right then, not waited for it to fall completely off. Maybe it fell out when you removed the sensor? I'd check the intake tube and the airbox to see if you can find it. Otherwise, new sensor, send it, hope for the best.

It is for a thermistor, however, the 01 oem maf does not have a thermistor. So this is an aftermarket part of some sort. Maybe the person who installed it cut it off since it wasn’t necessary 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, andrewf said:

Thanks for all the responses. Yeah, I looked in the air box but I didn’t see anything. Should probably look again though. 

About a new one...I’ve found from researching this site that the part number for the Maxima one that works is part #22680-2Y001. I’m going to rush order one of these today and hopefully fix this issue. 

And yes this part works and is hella cheaper. I’ve had an 01 maxima maf on my 01 Q for the last 20k miles 

Got the Nissan Maxima MAF and installed it today. The problem is gone. But disconnecting my battery while replacing it did not remove the CEL. I've seen the other methods (toggling ignition on and off/gas pumping) on this forum and haven't had any luck that way either. Is the only option to reset it with a scanner? 

The scanner's the easiest way if you have access to one. I went through the reset procedure on my dad's '03 once and it took a couple tries to get the Konami code punched in right. You could also try leaving the battery unplugged overnight (not sure how long it takes the R50 ECUs to lose their memory). Failing that, the check light might turn off on its own after a few drive cycles without the sensor acting up.

40 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

The scanner's the easiest way if you have access to one. I went through the reset procedure on my dad's '03 once and it took a couple tries to get the Konami code punched in right. You could also try leaving the battery unplugged overnight (not sure how long it takes the R50 ECUs to lose their memory). Failing that, the check light might turn off on its own after a few drive cycles without the sensor acting up.

Thanks. The only scanner I have access to is the one I used at the local O'Reilly's, which they are actually just letting me use due to the virus situation. So I'll probably just delete it with that if I need to. Do the gas pedal methods only work on some models or am I just that uncoordinated?