Prob w/ Bilstein 5125 33-185552 + LR 9447 Spring Mod

Tomek

@Tomek

I have had the similar issue with my bilstein 5125 install. The extra 2mm  space made my shock mount rattle whenever I go over any bumps.

Did you buy the same size bushing for the top and bottom mounts? Also, where did you get the new sleeve for a tight fit?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sorry for the late reply, but I can't be much help.

In the end I didn't replace the top bushings as they were fine.

The new sleeves came out of another pair of shocks lying around at the shop.

I just tried the bolt on a few dead ones till I found the tightest fit.

On 4/21/2020 at 7:02 PM, markthis said:

@Tomek

I have had the similar issue with my bilstein 5125 install. The extra 2mm  space made my shock mount rattle whenever I go over any bumps.

Did you buy the same size bushing for the top and bottom mounts? Also, where did you get the new sleeve for a tight fit?

The 5125s come with (mine did at least) sleeves to reduce the ID of the bottom bushing to 1/2". The mounting holes on mine ('98) were 12mm. I drilled them out the extra 0.028" and used 1/2" Grade 8 bolts.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 4:50 AM, jlduthie said:

The 5125s come with (mine did at least) sleeves to reduce the ID of the bottom bushing to 1/2". The mounting holes on mine ('98) were 12mm. I drilled them out the extra 0.028" and used 1/2" Grade 8 bolts.

@jlduthieThanks! will have to try this.

• 9 months later...

Update... drove across the country last summer with a over 500 pounds of load.

(moved from Vancouver to Toronto)

Have done some med. off roading since.  Everything is holding like a charm!

Problem was never the 5125s, or the spring height.

Problem was definitely the fact  the shop use the wrong sleeves in the original 5125 bushings leaving 2mm of play on the pin.

This caused one of the original 5125 bushing to blow out.

Replacing both bushings with the engergy bushings and correctly fitting sleeves working like a charm.

Suspension super happy.  Everything feels like new and ready for 10 years of abuse.

Cheers! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tomek said:

Update... drove across the country last summer with a over 500 pounds of load.

(moved from Vancouver to Toronto)

Have done some med. off roading since.  Everything is holding like a charm!

Problem was never the 5125s, or the spring height.

Problem was definitely the fact  the shop use the wrong sleeves in the original 5125 bushings leaving 2mm of play on the pin.

This caused one of the original 5125 bushing to blow out.

Replacing both bushings with the engergy bushings and correctly fitting sleeves working like a charm.

Suspension super happy.  Everything feels like new and ready for 10 years of abuse.

Cheers! 

do you have any links or retailer info on the sleeves? For pre-facelift owners who can’t swap bolt size on the lower mount (unlike post facelift owners who can on the upper mount), it would be nice to have a verified part number, as the bushing/bolt fitment is really the number one issue with fitting bilsteins to these vehicles, and I don’t usually have a good answer when prefacelift owners ask me about this.

Thanks, and glad to see you got the issue settled. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know the difference between 5100 33-185552 and B8 5125 33-185552? ie: 5100 vs 5125? 

I can't seem to find reliable info on any differences and both are available at the same price for me to buy for my '02.

Edited by TheGhost

18 hours ago, XPLORx4 said:

Oh shoot my bad, I had a typo in the original Q. I'm wondering about the difference between the 5100 33-185552 and 5125 33-185552. Many suppliers have the 33-185552 with different series numbers

They're the same shock. It's just the way certain resellers list their products. I can see how it would be confusing. The 5125 is technically a 5100-series shock, since Bilstein also has a 4600-series and there's a need to differentiate which series the shock belongs to.