4Low question

I was towing some cars out of my backyard today in 4Low and after a bit the ground was real soft and started spinning in some mud. I'm like 75% though that as i was spinning in mud i dont think my driver front wheel was spinning. I replaced my axle the other month so i know thats all good but could it be an auto hub issue?

Im not mistaken that 4Low would be driving all 4 wheels right?

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, prmanke1232 said:

Unless you have lockers the truck has open differentials. The tires with less grip spin.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So in the QX4 is the lock switch basically just to engage constant 4w?

You may have a limited slip in the rear (which is basically useless on a Nissan) but in the front you have an open diff. A locker would "lock" both axles and you would not have one spin when it loses traction.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Your 4wd system will apply at most 50% torque to the front driveshaft. Because the front differential is open, the wheel with the least traction will get the most torque. In your situation, the drivers wheel probably had lots of traction and the passenger wheel did not. The open diff transferred engine power to the passenger wheel.

what kind of tires do you have?

^Gotta love those old training films!

An open diff applies equal torque to the left and right wheels, regardless of speed. If a wheel is slipping, the torque it takes to make that wheel slip is all the torque the other wheel on that axle will get, and giving it more gas just spins the slipping wheel faster. The power that two wheels on an open diff axle can put down is limited by the wheel with the least traction.

TL;DR: if one front wheel is spinning and the other isn't, that's normal for an open diff.

Also, don't worry about auto hubs, those were a WD21 thing. Your R50 came with drive flanges, which have no moving parts and should be pretty much bomb-proof.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, XPLORx4 said:

Your 4wd system will apply at most 50% torque to the front driveshaft. Because the front differential is open, the wheel with the least traction will get the most torque. In your situation, the drivers wheel probably had lots of traction and the passenger wheel did not. The open diff transferred engine power to the passenger wheel.

what kind of tires do you have?

Yeah I know about how the diffs work, i just assumed it wasn't open in the front for some reason. And because this is primarily my winter vehicle im running Cooper Discoverer AT/W

7 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

^Gotta love those old training films!

An open diff applies equal torque to the left and right wheels, regardless of speed. If a wheel is slipping, the torque it takes to make that wheel slip is all the torque the other wheel on that axle will get, and giving it more gas just spins the slipping wheel faster. The power that two wheels on an open diff axle can put down is limited by the wheel with the least traction.

TL;DR: if one front wheel is spinning and the other isn't, that's normal for an open diff.

Also, don't worry about auto hubs, those were a WD21 thing. Your R50 came with drive flanges, which have no moving parts and should be pretty much bomb-proof.

We had to watch those damn training films in college too.  for some reason i  just assumed it wasn't an open in the front. But good to know about the hubs thank you

Overall she pulls the cars good just a little to much mud on a bit of an incline and she was slipping. Approached from a different line without the car and made it out and then did a reverse pull when i had better traction further up to finish the job

Edited by TroyButler
  • Like 1