New to the Family

PartTime4WD

Yikes I'll remember that. If I need pulled out from the front what would be the best point to do it? Just get a hitch d ring and do it from the rear instead?

Planning on doing a custom bumper at some point but caution would be good until then.

Thanks for the heads up!

2 hours ago, PartTime4WD said:

Yikes I'll remember that. If I need pulled out from the front what would be the best point to do it? Just get a hitch d ring and do it from the rear instead?

Planning on doing a custom bumper at some point but caution would be good until then.

Thanks for the heads up!

the only real recovery point to plan on using on a trail would be a trailer hitch + d ring in the rear, the front needs a bumper + reinforcement 

So ordered some 9447 springs and some pro comp 326500 es3000 shocks for the rear. Anything I should be aware of before throwing it all in? Hopefully the take isn't too crazy cuz I won't get to the front for a while.

If I were you, I’d probably hold off on putting the rear stuff on until you have the front stuff as well. If you don’t mind driving “downhill” at all times, then go for it, but the 9447s are a pretty big step up over stock height, and will result in a pretty crazy rake if you don’t lift the front along with it

In terms of things to be aware of, I would just keep in mind that you might not get enough flex far to pop in the new coils without undoing the end links. I had to unbolt mine in order to get it low enough, but then it was super simple to get the 9447s in. Make sure to get the body of the truck up as high on jack stands as you can (safely) before doing anything because you’ll need the clearance 

Awesome thanks for the tips. The only reason I want to put the rear in now is my ass end bottoms out really easy and it's touched the fenders twice so don't wanna rip anything off. Hits the bump stops pretty easily. I guess I can always pull them back out if it's too much of a rake. 

12 minutes ago, PartTime4WD said:

Awesome thanks for the tips. The only reason I want to put the rear in now is my ass end bottoms out really easy and it's touched the fenders twice so don't wanna rip anything off. Hits the bump stops pretty easily. I guess I can always pull them back out if it's too much of a rake. 

For sure, if the ride is super bad right now then go for it. Mine was awful before the lift as well, and it was a rough wait for all the parts to come in lol

You did a 2 inch AC lift right? What parts did you go with? I'm trying to nail it all down. I wanna do 2inch ac springs, kyb struts and best to use Nissan mounts and bearings correct? Will I need camber bolts also? Thanks for all the help btw. 

1 hour ago, PartTime4WD said:

You did a 2 inch AC lift right? What parts did you go with? I'm trying to nail it all down. I wanna do 2inch ac springs, kyb struts and best to use Nissan mounts and bearings correct? Will I need camber bolts also? Thanks for all the help btw. 

Yes sir, I’ve got the AC coils up front. I used the KYB struts as well, I’ve heard mixed reviews on everything else, so that was the safest bet.

Definitely go for the OEM nissan strut mounts and bearings, nothing else has been recommended on this forum, and for good reason. It sucks to have to shell out a good amount of money on tiny parts, but you save yourself a mountain of headache and eventual replacement costs later on

I only needed one set (two) of camber bolts to align my front end, but some guys end up needing two sets for whatever reason, so it’s worth keeping in mind. 

Edited by PathyGig12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you feel about the ome springs vs the AC springs. Everything else I'm settled on but the springs themselves I'm not sure where the best place to get them is from or which would be best. To be completely honest this is my daily driver so it's gonna be on pavement or dirt roads 90% of the time and off road around here is mainly sand and mud.

1 minute ago, PartTime4WD said:

How do you feel about the ome springs vs the AC springs. Everything else I'm settled on but the springs themselves I'm not sure where the best place to get them is from or which would be best. To be completely honest this is my daily driver so it's gonna be on pavement or dirt roads 90% of the time and off road around here is mainly sand and mud.

Same situation here, I haven’t been going crazy with the lift height (SFD and whatnot) because it’s my daily driver as well. I figure the 10% of time I’ll be off-road will be somewhat mild stuff that a 2 inch lift can easily handle. 

The AC springs were chosen one because I wanted the beefiest things I could fit up there in order to offset the weight of any bumper I put on in the future, and two because they provide a true 2” of lift whereas the OME HDs and MDs are a mixed bag as far as I can tell. Some guys report close to two inches, some are closer to 1. I don’t like the look of a heavily raked truck , so I made sure to have as much lift as possible in the front without going for spacers (because of the potential for binding CVs)

I’m sure you could get away with the HD OME coils and be pretty close to the same height as AC coils, but again who knows? The 9447s offer between 2-2.5 inches in the rear after settling, so I played it safe and went with the ACs to keep things level

I also really like the ride quality of the ACs, even though some people warned me that they would be a bit harsh. I find them firm but not jarring at all, and so far they’ve handled every massive pothole around here without bottoming out once lol

• Like 1

Ordered some AC springs for the front. Plan is to swap the springs into my current struts and use all existing hardware and just replace springs. Might need camber bolts so I'll order those also and return if not needed. With only about 36k on the odometer I know the struts have some life left even though they are 16 years old at this point. Hoping to get to 80k before upgrading struts and mounts. Crazy 4x4parts charges $60 for shipping where as LRDirect only charges $40 and is coming from the UK and arrived in 4 days.

Edited by PartTime4WD
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, PartTime4WD said:

Ordered some AC springs for the front. Plan is to swap the springs into my current struts and use all existing hardware and just replace springs. Might need camber bolts so I'll order those also and return if not needed. With only about 36k on the odometer I know the struts have some life left even though they are 16 years old at this point. Hoping to get to 80k before upgrading struts and mounts. Crazy 4x4parts charges $60 for shipping where as LRDirect only charges $40 and is coming from the UK and arrived in 4 days.

Awesome man, glad to hear you pulled the trigger on the ACs

I was about to say something about reusing the old struts but I actually think you’re probably right that they have lots of life left in them. My originals lasted over 200K before crapping out, so no reason yours should be needing replacement yet unless you’ve been jumping the damn thing lmao

• Like 1

Rockauto had the gr2s for only $30 a strut so I got 2 but I still plan on reusing the old struts and then I'll just be ready in about 50k miles once I get another set of bearings and mounts. Then I need to fab up a missing link and get my locker in the front once I get it. Then I should be good for a year or 2. How long did it take for you to receive your AC coils?

25 minutes ago, PartTime4WD said:

Rockauto had the gr2s for only $30 a strut so I got 2 but I still plan on reusing the old struts and then I'll just be ready in about 50k miles once I get another set of bearings and mounts. Then I need to fab up a missing link and get my locker in the front once I get it. Then I should be good for a year or 2. How long did it take for you to receive your AC coils?

I think it was about a week or a week and a half, not too long.

Thats awesome you got the struts so cheap, rock auto doesn’t ship to Colorado anymore so I had to get mine for about $115 total for the set 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree! Take isn't too bad.

Out of curiosity would you mind measuring your current height at front and rear with the LR springs? 

I'm thinking of going the same direction as you but need rear shocks and springs urgently. Rear on mine sits at around 3/4 inch lower atm so I'm trying to figure out what would rake be like if I slap 9449 or 9447 with extended shocks on the rear. 

Thanks in advance 

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the delay. After settling with stock front and 9447 in rear I have about 6 inches in the back and about 3.75 in the front.

Edited by PartTime4WD

On 2/26/2020 at 11:23 AM, PathyGig12 said:

Sorry to hear about the hubs, I’ve only heard good things about them so far but I ended up going for the Warn hubs so no personal experience with the RRs

Hey I was wondering about the warn hubs. Some local shops said if warn fits definitely go for that. The price will be worth it offroad apparently. Which models did you use? Any tips for them? They're next on my list.

On 3/12/2020 at 5:49 PM, PartTime4WD said:

Hey, I just installed the OME ones and I didn't get the results I was looking for as far as lift. They feel great but max maybe 0.75" lift in the front. I'm ordering the AC coils and swapping them out.

I'll be getting rid of the OME by ARB 2928 coils I got because of that. If you decide to do those, I'd be happy to sell you mine.

Nevermind sorry I just realized this was from months ago.

Edited by flyingpathy
realized my comment doesnt' apply anymore.

3 hours ago, flyingpathy said:

Hey I was wondering about the warn hubs. Some local shops said if warn fits definitely go for that. The price will be worth it offroad apparently. Which models did you use? Any tips for them? They're next on my list.

The ones that fit the R50 are the model 29091, I believe 

Only thing to watch out for is the center bore on your wheels, some models i think the warns wouldn’t fit through the centers even though they fit properly on the axle shafts. Your wheels are different than mine so it’s definition something to check first. Don’t know much about those wheels so I’ll let someone else chime in if they do

• 4 weeks later...