Pulls left when accelerating at highway speed

elko88

Has anyone experienced a pulling to the left upon acceleration when driving at highway speeds? My 88 does this, then corrects itself back to the right when I let off the gas pedal. Everything under the front end has just been replaced then realigned, new tires and all new brakes. TIA 

Edited by elko88

35 minutes ago, elko88 said:

Has anyone experienced a pulling to the left upon acceleration when driving at highway speeds? My 88 does this, then corrects itself back to the right when I let off the gas pedal. Everything under the front end has just been replaced then realigned, new tires and all new brakes. TIA 

Take a look at your rear control arm bushings.  When they get really worn it can make driving in a straight line difficult. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 1:06 PM, Backpacker said:

Take a look at your rear control arm bushings.  When they get really worn it can make driving in a straight line difficult. 

You may have the answer. Front end has been completely rebuilt but only shocks on the rear 

5 hours ago, FirstGenFreak said:

Make sure the bushings in the caster bars are not worn and that the hole/mounting point in the frame is not flogged out.

Went through that before. Bushing needs positive location to be effective. 

Are caster bars part of the front suspension? If they are what I'm thinking, those bushings were also replaced and the frame was not flogged out as you say.

Most likely worn suspension link bushings in the rear suspension. 

If you have an automatic transmission, just park on smooth level pavement, with trans in park and brake off, have someone rock the truck forward and back while watching the ends of the links at the frame and axle housing. If you see movement more than a couple of mm, the bushings are worn and allowing the rear axle shift and inducing rear steer effects.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr_Reverse said:

Most likely worn suspension link bushings in the rear suspension. 

If you have an automatic transmission, just park on smooth level pavement, with trans in park and brake off, have someone rock the truck forward and back while watching the ends of the links at the frame and axle housing. If you see movement more than a couple of mm, the bushings are worn and allowing the rear axle shift and inducing rear steer effects.

It's a manual transmission,  but I think you're on the right track. I'll take a closer look at it. Thanks 

With the trans in reverse or first, it should hold well enough, but might not have enough movement to make the movements noticable. I made the discovery years ago when a friend was following me and he asked why my truck was driving sideways. I had my 3" body and 3" suspension lift with 33" tires, so was pretty easy to check since I could see the link ends through the fenders. The tires gave me plenty of leverage to rock back and forth. It was a bit sobering to watch the axle and links twisting and bouncing. 

The lower links have more control of the positioning of the axle and tend to wear a bit more than the uppers. 

• 1 month later...