90-95 bumpers/grille on an 87-89?

Hi all! I've just acquired a beautiful 87 SE after years of searching high and low for the right unit, and I'm excited to be joining this community of fine folk. The truck has been barn-kept for most of its life and is in decent condition (79k km on the odometer), but I have my eye on replacing the bumpers and front grille. Anyone know if these later 90-95 WD21 parts will fit an 87? Chrome/silver? The compatibility searches on RockAuto seems to think not, but I figured best to take this to the true experts!

Yep, I've done this conversion on my 88 Navara with a 1990 Terrano. I had to drill 4 or so holes in the front. two for mounting the guards and two for the replacement headlights, but other than that I had no problems. My 88 Datsun originally had the small lip bonnet so I had to swap bonnet, guards, grills, I think bumper is different, headlights and corner lights

Hi, welcome to the group.

The newer type bumpers will fit you '87 pathfinder.

If you decide to replace them i might be interested in your old '87 bumper...

Thanks for the great welcome everyone; I'm so stoked to be part of this group!

Most of my photos in the weeks I've had her are either on the back of tow trucks or at various mechanics, alas. Lots of gremlins to banish before she's in reliable driving shape (a suspected ECU problem scuttled my 1000km drive back home to Vancouver from Calgary midway). But I guess that's to be expected knowing she's been sitting idle for most of her life. One owner, almost never driven, before appearing at a salvage auction last month as part of an estate sale. The interior especially is a time capsule back to an 80s dealership. I can't wait to give her a great home.

I'm not sure the existing bumpers are much use anymore, unfortunately. They're the sites of more rust than anywhere else on the body (especially the rear bumper with its aftermarket towing package) and are pretty rough.

IMG_7362.thumb.jpg.75417c215c84746bd8f4b55c30ebc69b.jpg

Edited by flickertheory

Thanks for the nice words guys.   Found it by coincidence on Craigslist about 5 months ago. Shipped the car to the Netherlands. I am so happy with this beauty, it is new inside and out.

I had the same Pathfinder 30 years ago with a VG30DETT (300ZX TT engine) and over 400hp, most fun car i have ever had

Direct swap for the grill, bumper will require the proper bumper to frame brackets (to match the bumper year) but will bolt directly to the frame as well.  If doing a D21 grill/headlight setup you will also need headlight buckets, wiring pigtails and side markers.  Again aside from the headlight plugs is all bolt on as well

• 3 weeks later...