My new build.....2001 4x4

illusionzrcer

I think it’s about time I introduce myself. My name is John and I’ve been a lurker in this Forum for a while. I’ve owned many civics in my days as well as a Infiniti g35 and lowered e39 wagon. I never thought I would own a lifted suv in my life but sometimes things just happen. My father passed away in January and left behind this vehicle. It’s a 2001 LE 4x4 automatic with factory LSD and 135k “babied” miles. We were originally going to sell the vehicle but decided against it. The car is in great shape mechanically and inside with some battle damage outside from the brush guard. My father loved this car and this was prob his most prized thing he owned. He worked hard and spoiled my sister and I growing up but never gave himself anything nice except this car. I know he would be upset if we got rid of it especially since it’s not worth much. Needless to say this car has sedimental value to me. I want to thank everyone on this forum for sharing great ideas and awesome photos. I look forward to seeing more of your builds and being able to spend time wrenching on my own vehicle with my 8 year old son. I plan an taking the car on the Washington discover trail with my family this summer and other adventures. My mods so far include:

OME front hd springs

OME rear md springs

New front struts and rear shocks

15” steel wheels with 31” duratracs

All new fluids in the transfer case, transmission, diffs.

New belts and pulleys

Full tune up

Power valve screws fixed

Removed the brush guard

Retrofit headlights

5f72f7e06f563f48dd62fb2ea299ffd1.jpg01fff617f4c7033c05bfa6cd32f130b0.jpg61de16bac0c21b5c950471b4c6ce9334.jpga3445f4cabe1820aab3d8a2751387294.jpg

I’m in the process of replacing the idle control valve oring so my ecu doesn’t fry. I also scored a complete rear tire carrier mount that will be installed once it’s a little warmer. There’s also a Rola roof basket sitting inside the car. I’ll be using the conduit mount method I learned from this forum. Future plans include:

Arb front bumber

Fluerys 1” spacers front and back

Full size matching spare

Full vinyl wrap

6280898920cf2bcf6425debfb3b1faef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Looks great! The ARB bumper and a little panel will work will have the exterior looking as good as the inside. Your old man would be happy with the improvements so far, and I'm sure your family will enjoy the trail you have planned. They're great wee 4wds, the r50s.

• Like 1

Welcome! Nice rig! Sorry for your loss.

Does your truck have the manual transfer case or electronic? (switch in the dash). 

There are a bunch of us in the PNW. We did a couple portions of the Washington backcountry discovery route this year and will definitely do more in the future. Very fun and great views. What part of WA are you in? 

• Like 3

Welcome! Nice rig! Sorry for your loss.

Does your truck have the manual transfer case or electronic? (switch in the dash). 
 There are a bunch of us in the PNW. We did a couple portions of the Washington backcountry discovery route this year and will definitely do more in the future. Very fun and great views. What part of WA are you in? 

My truck does have the auto transfer case and factory lsd. Not sure if that’s a benefit or not but that’s what it is lol. I’m in the mill creek/bothell area so if any of our members are in the area swing by so I can see your rigs.

Condolences on your Father. I’m sure he’d be happy to know the truck is getting a new life with you.

Ditto on[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] comments. I’m just down the road from you between Kirkland, Redmond & Woodinville.

Curious where you got those aftermarket headlights? [Found your excellent write up http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/45416-headlight-retrofit/]

Have an offline conversation with @jzuniga before you put spacers on - I don’t think he’d recommend it & I’d agree.

On bumpers, Coastal Offroad is just above us in Vancouver. There are pros & cons to his bumper. I have one that you can look at in person if you’d like.

Good job getting the power valve screws fixed.

Don’t be in a hurry to pull those running boards. They’re pretty sturdy & very handy. We have several damaged doors & rocker panels on trucks without them. I’m finally replacing mine with RRO sliders but I’ve had the truck 106K, mostly stock, over almost all the big CO passes with no problem.

You can see my truck & some of the other local guys on IG: raing0at, jzuniga510, grizzlypath & the PDX guys theblackpathfinder, stpickens, thesilverpathfinder.

I have an 8yo boy (&10yo daughter) as well. WABDR is very accessible & fun.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the warm
Welcome. Although this forum
is a little quiet sometimes it’s prob by far the most informative. I love how everyone is so helpful and provide first hand experiences rather than just opinions. I also don’t feel like I’m being judged here.

RainGoat I would love to see the coastal bumper before I dump 1500 into a ARB lol. I do like the fact the ARB covers a the factory airbox but the coastal is soooo much cheaper.

PM’d my contact info. Text or email me the general time frame you’re thinking & we’ll work something out. It would be nice to meet you & I’m happy to show you my truck & see yours.

• 2 weeks later...

dfc44094eee3883a423a75337b4c8f46.jpg

So this just happened a couple days ago. I was leaving work waiting to turn left at a light. Light turns green and all cars were stopped everywhere. Almost completed the turn before some dummy running late to work decided to run a red light. Completely tore my bumper off and bent my rear bumper support. There’s also a slight dent right near the drivers side taillight. Unfortanatley he provided me with false insurance info but he does work here with me. I doubt he’s actually insured so I’m not expecting much as far as him paying for my damages. Also don’t want to file a claim with my insurance. I’m not a hundred percent sure if there’s any sort of structural damage. The truck drives fine and all the doors close and open just fine. Gaps look unchanged as well. If anyone in the Seattle area has a spare rear bumper support laying around please let me know. I would be interested in buying it off you. Oh btw his car took a beating compared to mine.

999e51f8643de9994568a754c18079e5.jpg

Sorry to hear this! The past 6 months has been rough for R50 owners. At least its just the bumper and some minor body damage. 

I don't have one handy but I know there are a few donors  in the yards around us. Tacoma has 2 of the same body style, Lynnwood has a couple and so does Arlington. There is a yard near @zakzackzachary in the peninsula that supposedly has a few as well. Not sure on the colors but you should ar least be able to find a bumper support.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have to make a trip out there as soon as i figure out the insurance with this thing. The guy who hit me said he would pay out of pocket. But I think he will be surprised to see the estimate came out to be 2700 bucks!

• 4 weeks later...

So I’ve been thinking about new wheels and tires lately. My current setup now are 15” procomp steel wheels with 31/10.5/15 with 3.75 backspace. I am looking at the vision 355 overland wheels in 16x8 with a 4.5” backspace with 265/75/16 tires. I’ve read through the whole wheel and tire fitment thread and didn’t come up with a conclusive answer. Does anyone know if this setup will clear the struts or would I need wheel spacers? Current lift is OME Hd fronts and OME md rears.

1 hour ago, illusionzrcer said:

So I’ve been thinking about new wheels and tires lately. My current setup now are 15” procomp steel wheels with 31/10.5/15 with 3.75 backspace. I am looking at the vision 355 overland wheels in 16x8 with a 4.5” backspace with 265/75/16 tires. I’ve read through the whole wheel and tire fitment thread and didn’t come up with a conclusive answer. Does anyone know if this setup will clear the struts or would I need wheel spacers? Current lift is OME Hd fronts and OME md rears.

3.75 Backspace is the magic number if you want guaranteed fitment for any tire larger than 31” tall. If it’s 31” or less, backspacing doesn’t matter much

• Like 2

3.75 Backspace is the magic number if you want guaranteed fitment for any tire larger than 31” tall. If it’s 31” or less, backspacing doesn’t matter much

Thanks for the reply. I saw your video on wheel spacing and checked out your build thread as well. I noticed that you are running a 32/11.5 tire. I will be running a 265/75/16 which i believe is equal to be about 32/10.5. Since my tire is narrower than yours is the magic number still 3.75 for backspace? Or am I missing something.

1 hour ago, illusionzrcer said:

Thanks for the reply. I saw your video on wheel spacing and checked out your build thread as well. I noticed that you are running a 32/11.5 tire. I will be running a 265/75/16 which i believe is equal to be about 32/10.5. Since my tire is narrower than yours is the magic number still 3.75 for backspace? Or am I missing something.

I think @micahfelker is 4.0 BS on that exact tire size. That being said, most people still go for 3.75 since it’s an easy enough spec to find on 16” or 15” rims. (8” wide with -19 mm offset).

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 1

I used to run 265/75R16 BFG MT on my Ultra Rogue 175 wheels, 16x8 with 10mm offset, and they fit with my 2" lift. The worry I had was how much clearance is there between the tire should and strut. I do know that 15x8 wheels with 32x11.5R15 tires need no more than 4" backspacing.

When I upsized to 285/75R16, I did have to install wheel spacers to clear the strut.

Edited by XPLORx4