R50 LED Conversion

20angier

Which lights are you thinking of? I have Hikari LED conversion headlight bulbs in my 04 Sorento that have worked well. I have a pair of Sealight conversion bulbs in my 93 Pathfinder that are working good for me. Both brands were not very expensive and bought them on Amazon. As for the rest of the lights, just a random mix of LED bulbs that I got from Amazon cheap, but had decent ratings. They have been working fine. I replaced my flasher unit with one that is LED compatible and that solved the hyperflash problem without messing with resistors. 

I really do need to take some photos and figure out how to post them sometime.

• Like 1

Has anyone gone on the CarID website to buy bulbs? I will look into the Hikari bulbs. Do those lights give off a blue look, I want a light that is more white/yellow than blue?

2 hours ago, 20angier said:

Has anyone gone on the CarID website to buy bulbs? I will look into the Hikari bulbs. Do those lights give off a blue look, I want a light that is more white/yellow than blue?

Car ID is a sham as far as I can tell. Amazon, rock auto, or even eBay sells everything they do for less

The Sealight bulbs in my Pathfinder are replacements for the 9004 halogens and they are much better. They do have some interesting patterns on walls but on the road do a better job. They are listed as 6000k. To me they are a cold white. I see better in the higher end of the spectrum, so works for me much better than the warmer light from the halogens. 

Same thing with the Hikari bulbs in the Sorento. They have a good pattern and are more white than the halogens, so I see better with them. I went with the $40 Hikari rather than the higher end ones, because I am cheap and my research led me to believe that the difference was not worth the extra money. My brother put the Hikari Ultras in his Armada, and they don't seem to be any better than the "Eye of Megatron" units I got. With the Sorento, it was an easy decision since I would only get about 9 months out of the H7 low beam bulbs anyway. Got over a year so far with the LEDs and they were only about $10 more for the pair than the halogens. Pathfinder has had her Sealight bulbs for about 6 months so far and no issues. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, onespiritbrain said:

The super high end LED bulbs do outperform HID. Check this out: 

He picked a lower performing 6500k HID bulb for testing, and the LED only won when put into a specific projector, and some of the LED’s were worse than a stock halogen bulb.This is far from convincing testing. Shoving light bulbs into housings they weren’t designed for and then calling one a “winner” and the other a “loser” is arbitrary. Unless you own one of those housings/projectors I don’t think the test results really are applicable. 

• Like 1

You can say the same when putting HID into a halogen light. Not a proper housing and performance will suffer. The new gen of LED headlights do work well. Also the auto manufacturers have gone away from HID in favor of LED for the headlights. 

One thing that kept me from trying HID in my Pathfinder was I would have to give up the high beams and that was not acceptable for me because until last year, my truck had to pass an annual safety inspection to be licenced for operation on public roads. High/low beams were a requirement. 

A friend of mine who went LED in his Tacoma a few years ago said they were better than the HID's he had in it before, until the first big snowstorm, then he found that his headlights were too cold and wouldn't melt the snow build up on the lights. Me, my lights don't seem to ice up. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Mr_Reverse said:

You can say the same when putting HID into a halogen light. Not a proper housing and performance will suffer. The new gen of LED headlights do work well. Also the auto manufacturers have gone away from HID in favor of LED for the headlights. 

One thing that kept me from trying HID in my Pathfinder was I would have to give up the high beams and that was not acceptable for me because until last year, my truck had to pass an annual safety inspection to be licenced for operation on public roads. High/low beams were a requirement. 

A friend of mine who went LED in his Tacoma a few years ago said they were better than the HID's he had in it before, until the first big snowstorm, then he found that his headlights were too cold and wouldn't melt the snow build up on the lights. Me, my lights don't seem to ice up. 

Where I am, I dont have to worry about snow buildup on my lights and such. I was also thinking of putting strong fog lights and installing a switch for extra light.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 20angier said:

Where I am, I dont have to worry about snow buildup on my lights and such. I was also thinking of putting strong fog lights and installing a switch for extra light.

I put 100W halogens in my fogs and theyre actually useful now. If you put the 100W or 130W bulbs in there then make sure you aim them correctly. I had to cut off a tab that was on the bulb's metal base.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

LED lamps do not contain gas and mercury, so they are considered more environmentally friendly and resistant to loads and have a very long service life. In them, the light source is special elements - LEDs, and the more of them, the brighter the lamp will shine.

On 9/22/2022 at 3:58 PM, Juninater said:

LED lamps do not contain gas and mercury, so they are considered more environmentally friendly and resistant to loads and have a very long service life. In them, the light source is special elements - LEDs, and the more of them, the brighter the lamp will shine.

In them, the light source is special elements - LEDs, and the more of them, the brighter the lamp will shine.  However, choosing the best manufacturer of LED lamps for a car is difficult. A lot depends on the model of the car and the permissible power. I didn't change the bulbs in the cabin; I bought flashlights to navigate the dark better.

Edited by Juninater

LOL, yeah. I bought flashlights too, but I don't use them inside my truck unless I've got the lower dash apart and need to see up under the steering column. Flashlights are also good to use when camping. But, that being said, I converted nearly all of my interior lights to LED. I think the only ones I didn't change are the ashtray light and the transmission shift position indicator light. On the exterior, I stayed with stock incandescent bulbs for brakes and turn signals because I don't want to fuss with load resistors.

On 12/10/2019 at 2:23 PM, Mr_Reverse said:

These work well for the 97' Pathy.  I don't have anyone flash me yet they seem to be aimed just like stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Torchbeam-Headlight-Compact-Brightness-Replacement/dp/B07T1QKLXY/ref=pd_ybh_a_sccl_77/142-7828043-7971640?pd_rd_w=F1Han&content-id=amzn1.sym.67f8cf21-ade4-4299-b433-69e404eeecf1&pf_rd_p=67f8cf21-ade4-4299-b433-69e404eeecf1&pf_rd_r=39N2FNYM0964THKP839K&pd_rd_wg=wRxgM&pd_rd_r=466a2164-41dc-4cbb-bde1-6a9702004af0&pd_rd_i=B07T1QKLXY&psc=1

Edited by CALPATHY