Transmission Problem - Module?

Tshields

Wondering if anyone has experience with this problem? TIA!

2004 Pathfinder LE Platinum 

4 speed Automatic

Currently in Limp Mode

Starts in park. While still in park if I give it gas it moves forward a bit.

Will go forward if I shift to drive but not in 1 or 2 and I have no reverse.

With car off and emergency brake off cannot move backwards.

Wondering if anyone has experience with this problem? TIA!

2004 Pathfinder LE Platinum 
4 speed Automatic
Currently in Limp Mode
Starts in park. While still in park if I give it gas it moves forward a bit.
Will go forward if I shift to drive but not in 1 or 2 and I have no reverse.
With car off and emergency brake off cannot move backwards.

From the sound of it your transmission is dead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well aren't you a downer! And I think you are right. I am surprised to not be able to find any posts on the web with this problem which leads me to believe a module or actuator is nt going to fix the problems. From what I know there was no issues leading up to the failure which seems odd. 

Edited by Tshields

My best friends dad is a master transmission guy and when my trans died (the first time ) mine did that same thing, driving forward in park, and he said that the forward clutch had seized (or he may have said a different word— trashed, or broken..) and that it was toast.

I found a junk yard trans for $6-700 that was literally perfect. And after I handed it’s butt to it I found another one for around the same price that’s pretty darn good also.

This is a common problem with the RE4R01A automatic transmission in the Pathfinder. Its likely the reverse clutch basket snap ring. It will break and the debris have the tendency to start to damage forwars gears, although some have had a loss of reverse with no other issue presumably from a clean break that snap ring. This year has been a bad one for the R50 automatic trans. Quite a few have had this issue. You need a rebuilt trans or to rebuild the unit in your rig. 

• Like 2

How many miles did it last ya

mine personally didn’t quit but got pretty dang close with leaking tranny fluid being what sent me into selling it. it would get stuck in neutral when i was in drive then catch at like 2-3 grand and make the whole car shudder and wouldn’t change gears above 1st without a huge thump. after turning it off at night then starting again in the morning the car would be fine with only hard shifting. i had a thread somewhere about it but i also had the RE4R01A. Only lasted 130k miles then would go on and off with that problem until i sold it at 139k. Weirdly enough@buttercup is at 199k and the tranny runs so much better.
  • Like 1

I am posting this for my  little Bro and I think he said  it has 158k miles. Does anyone know of a good transmission shop in the  Flowery Branch Georgia area?

Edited by Tshields