Key Programming

Hey guys, 

The guys installing the remote start in our 2001 LE said they had to sacrifice one the keys to bypass the immobilizer. Somewhat disapointing, as I thought they could install a bypass box (as they did they...and they tried apparently.) How hard is it to program a new one? Looks like I can get a blank for $15 off amazon.....https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y1HQ7W8

Is it a normal "do the dance" that I can do in the truck, or do indeed need to take to the dealer? A quick search didn't bring anything up....

Thanks

Edited by Inyourface1650

7 hours ago, Inyourface1650 said:

Hey guys, 

The guys installing the remote start in our 2001 LE said they had to sacrifice one the keys to bypass the immobilizer. Somewhat disapointing, as I thought they could install a bypass box (as they did they...and they tried apparently.) How hard is it to program a new one? Looks like I can get a blank for $15 off amazon.....https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y1HQ7W8

Is it a normal "do the dance" that I can do in the truck, or do indeed need to take to the dealer? A quick search didn't bring anything up....

Thanks

Well im not sure what youre asking really. if youre asking about getting a key like you sent cut, then i think any place can get that done that offers key cutting. as for the remote, if it is the stock unlock remote then it is very easy to reprogram to work with your doors and what not. Here is a tutorial on programming a key

27 minutes ago, Strato_54 said:

Well im not sure what youre asking really. if youre asking about getting a key like you sent cut, then i think any place can get that done that offers key cutting. as for the remote, if it is the stock unlock remote then it is very easy to reprogram to work with your doors and what not. Here is a tutorial on programming a key

The key has a immobilizer chip in it. You have to program the chip in the key as well as get it cut. I would believe it's a different dance then programming the remote(which I have done previously)

Thanks! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Inyourface1650 said:

The key has a immobilizer chip in it. You have to program the chip in the key as well as get it cut. I would believe it's a different dance then programming the remote(which I have done previously)

Thanks! 

yeah no problem hope my opinion helped a little. the 2001 is a little too modern for me with my 1997 so thats the first ive heard of something like this honestly

You will either have the key programed by the dealership or a locksmith. It is a fun little game where you have to send info in to Nissan and the system will send back a code to allow key program for that particular BCM. You will also need to have all keys and inform the person doing the reprogram about the remote start  key. If I recall correctly, there is a maximum of 4 key 'slots' in the security system, so only 3 keys plus the remote start can be programed.

I had to do a lot of key program while at the dealership. It is not anything like what Hollywierd makes it look like.

• Like 1

Yeah, when you say “sacrifice”’ do you mean they took the chip out. The “key” is 3 parts: key, chip & fob. Key can be cut easily. Amazon fobs are easy to get & program. The chip is the rate limiter as described above. Make sure they didn’t just pitch your chip.

33 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

Yeah, when you say “sacrifice”’ do you mean they took the chip out. The “key” is 3 parts: key, chip & fob. Key can be cut easily. Amazon fobs are easy to get & program. The chip is the rate limiter as described above. Make sure they didn’t just pitch your chip.

The key is apparently in a box under under the dash somewhere, utilizing its chip to bypass the immobilizer. They said for 2002+ they could use a different box with its own chip, but below 2002 they had to use the key. This makes sense to me, as we all know R50 underwent some major electrical changes for the 2002+ model year.

So, I now have one key. Not the end of the world as I have now 3 spare keyfobs (the original round one, and 2 keyfobs I bought off amazon) sitting on the key hook....but I'd like to replace the key.

So the only way to do it is the dealer or a locksmith? unfortunate.....

Does their “key in a box” mean that the immobilizer is essentially neutralized & functionally deactivated at all times? If so, you can have as many keys as needed. It’s easy to test. Cut a key for a couple bucks at Home Depot & try it. I have ones for just getting into the truck & occasionally the ignition has been turned on without the chip - it just coughs & dies. You put a key with a chip in & it starts by the 2nd try.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 12:27 PM, RainGoat said:

Does their “key in a box” mean that the immobilizer is essentially neutralized & functionally deactivated at all times? If so, you can have as many keys as needed. It’s easy to test. Cut a key for a couple bucks at Home Depot & try it. I have ones for just getting into the truck & occasionally the ignition has been turned on without the chip - it just coughs & dies. You put a key with a chip in & it starts by the 2nd try.

I hadn't thought of that and I think you're totally right. The boxed key is neutralizing the immobilizer I bet he could just get any 'ol blank cut at the hardware store and it'd probably work!

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 10:43 AM, zakzackzachary said:

I hadn't thought of that and I think you're totally right. The boxed key is neutralizing the immobilizer I bet he could just get any 'ol blank cut at the hardware store and it'd probably work!

Made sense to me.

Went and got $2.47 key at HD cut. The associate was very confused why I didn't want a chipped key, when she could clearly see the chip.  Quoted me $64 for the chipped key, which is pretty reasonable.

Anyway - went out and tried it, no start.

Tried the remote start, and then switched on the non chipped key - the engine died.

Doh!

2 hours ago, Inyourface1650 said:

Made sense to me.

Went and got $2.47 key at HD cut. The associate was very confused why I didn't want a chipped key, when she could clearly see the chip.  Quoted me $64 for the chipped key, which is pretty reasonable.

Anyway - went out and tried it, no start.

Tried the remote start, and then switched on the non chipped key - the engine died.

Doh!

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Subaru guys just tape a chipped key to the steering column and use regular keys.

Edited by R50JR

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Subaru guys just tape a chipped key to the steering column and use regular keys.

That’s very interesting to know. I thought it needed closer proximity.

As an FYI, I once kept just my fob in my ‘93 Maxima SE so that I could grab stuff out of one vehicle & transfer it to another without going back up to the apartment for the other key. When my Maxima was stolen they unlocked & cleaned out the Path but I’m pretty sure it was the lack of chip that prevented them stealing it. Now I just keep a non-chipped key. It doesn’t take up much space & allows that convenience.

With the Nissan (and many others) the antenna for the key chip is in the ring around the ignition lock. With Nissans, near as I was able to tell, it is very short ranged and the chip needs to be less than a couple of inches from the antenna for it to read. 

• Like 1

With the Nissan (and many others) the antenna for the key chip is in the ring around the ignition lock. With Nissans, near as I was able to tell, it is very short ranged and the chip needs to be less than a couple of inches from the antenna for it to read. 

That was my understanding as well

• 6 months later...
On 11/5/2019 at 7:55 AM, Mr_Reverse said:

You will either have the key programed by the dealership or a locksmith. It is a fun little game where you have to send info in to Nissan and the system will send back a code to allow key program for that particular BCM. You will also need to have all keys and inform the person doing the reprogram about the remote start  key. If I recall correctly, there is a maximum of 4 key 'slots' in the security system, so only 3 keys plus the remote start can be programed.

I had to do a lot of key program while at the dealership. It is not anything like what Hollywierd makes it look like.

If you're going to the locksmith store then there is no need to send information to the Nissan dealership.

The info doesn't go to the dealer, it goes to a part of Nissan Corporate. The info that the system requires to release the code is the VIN, the ID code in the BCM for the immobilizer, the person doing the key program, and the identification code assigned to the locksmith or dealership. That is the basics that I remember anyway. The dealership doesn't know or need to know about that, it is information that was put in a different browser than the Consult software. When you got the release code assigned to that particular BCM, you put it in using Consult to put the immobilizer into learn mode. 

As I said before, it is much harder to bypass the immobilizer than hollywierd makes it. If I was interested in stealing cars, I would use a rollback tow truck. Much faster, easier, and less destructive to take a car that way and if anyone saw it, they would just assume it is a legal tow or repo. 

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...