What's your best mod?

Guest GrumpyGrizz

Guest GrumpyGrizz

My Pathfinder is stock and I would like to do some mods for performance. I think a locking diff might be a wise first mod. What all do you think would be the best first mod for the money? :gossip:

If you want to mod it for offroad I'd vote for the locker, then K/N drop in air filter, then JeepGrandCherokee coil springs for the rear, bigger tires, then it'll be time to start upgrading the frontend with beefy parts... Don't forget to get a CB if you plan on running with a crowd...

Just a few $$$ and you'll be set... :cool2:

Installing the Jeep grand cherokee springs obtained from a junkyard, and cranking/indexing the t-bars is the best, cheapest mod there is, then I think locker (if you dont have LSD), then exhaust (hi flow cat and back, headers if you can afford them), then front end components... Thats arranged in order of effectiveness and least cost...

B

Guest GrumpyGrizz

It's a 1990 SE. From the few times I've been stuck it the snow, I'd say it isn't LSD, there's no sticker on the diff either.

Hehe I already have a limited slip. I think my first mod is going to be the K&N air filter, then maybe an oil filter relocation kit, mainly because the current location is a pain in the @ss. I mean seriously you can't even see where the threads are when you screw on the filter!

There is also the removeal of the rear setas for additional cargo/sleeping room. Drill out the hinge pins w/ a 1/4" drill bit and replace them with bolts and wingnuts. The pin metal is soft. Once I had drilled through the heads, I used a hammer/driftpin to knock them out. Took <20 minutes total. I used two slightly smaller bits to start pilot holes b/c you need to drill on an angle. The angle wasn't tpp severe, but was just enough to make in near impossible to stop the 1/4 bit from walking.

I have all the pieces to do the JGC lift. Maybe this weekend. The springs were $40, I bought an angle grinder and spring clamps from Harborfreight for $20 and $10 respectively. Now I need to get a cutting disc, some black spraypaint, and some rubber matting to complete the job. So well under $100 for about 3" of lift.

I'll also get the air fliter soon.

Or, how about a set of BFG All-Terain's? Or even something more aggressive? Don't forget about a full-sized spare and tow strap if you want to join a club. The clubs that I know of require a full-sized spare, fire extinguisher, first-aid kit, loop-end strap, and CB.

1 - Susp lift, not JGC coils 'cause they're $$$$$$200-300 around here. I've put $60 Ford Maverick but I'm still testing, after 3 weeks on-road I'll go wheelin' this weekend and see how it goes...

2 - Skid plates, maybe next week if I'm not lazy and go down the truck and draw the skids in a paper so I can have someone fabbing it for me...

3 - Idler arm brace, together with the skid plates...

4 - Tires, mines are Wrangler AT 255, I'd like 32" Muds but I'll be happy with 31" Muds...

5 - Maybe a snorkel... :P

6 - A custom bumper that can hold a winch... :D

7 - Some nice friends to go wheelin' with me and whenever I'm stuck they give me the beer and get out of the car and push it off the mud for me... B)

Tires for me. nothing compares to flooring the truck and feeling it dig down thru the soft mud right before it takes off. Tires will make or break your truck's offroad capability. I have an LSD, but from the sounds of it, they guys with 2wd or open diffs really like the locking rear diff.

The best tires for your conditions are the hands down, top of the list, best mod you can do. Not to say mine are best, cause BFG M/T's suck balls in the rain, which happens occassionally around the western WA area. But tires get you where you're going. Then would come free snipping of the flares/fenders/etc. cause you get free of cost rub-free articulation and clearance of those new tires. Next would be the JCG springs with Tbar crank for pure bang for the buck, although this may be required because of mod #1. After that, we're getting picky. Many say a locker, and someday maybe I'll join them. Could be a body lift for an extra "ooof", a CB, roof rack for gear, K&N, etc. I did the K&N first, and is decent, but you really should do it at the same time as a more open intake and exhaust to expect an increase in power. There is also all sorts of armor, skids,.......... Happy mod'ing and wheeling!

removal of passenger seat(s). Better to hear the creaking of the springs and thumping of the rocks hitting the underside than to hear the shreaking of the frightened passengers.