LSD Swap

DesertKyle

I've been looking for a lsd in the junkyard lately but haven't had much luck. I'd like an xterra one with the tighter clutch pack but haven't found any with the 4.3 in it. From what I can gather this is an uncommon ratio for the xterra.

So has anyone found a 4.363 in a frontier or xterra? Or should I just put in one of the newer looser pathfinder ones and be grateful its not an open diff anymore. Seems like options are limited with the 31 splines and this ratio. Not interested in messing with the front diff right now so regearing is out and too broke for a locker.

I'd say your easiest solution would be to get an LSD from a Pathy with the right ratio and add more clutch material from any other LSD diff to make a good diff that'll easily fit in/match up with your rear end.

3 hours ago, mjotrainbrain said:

I'd say your easiest solution would be to get an LSD from a Pathy with the right ratio and add more clutch material from any other LSD diff to make a good diff that'll easily fit in/match up with your rear end.

Yeah I've seen that. Forgot to mention I don't wanna do that right now, maybe down the road if I end up with a weak one. Thanks for the suggestion tho!

PD-84 of the '00 X FSM shows a 4.3 ratio LSD offered. The '02 manual only shows 4.6 and 4.9 rear ends available, so '00-'01 is probably what you're after (and the '01 manual suggests you'll only find 4.3 gears in a manual trans donor, so good luck). Haven't checked on the Fronty but I'd expect a similar story. Hawairish compiled a table here of breakaway torque for various years. Looks like there wasn't really a good year for the R50 LSD, though they did get worse for '03-'04.

Also IIRC the R50 rear end is 33-spline, for whatever that's worth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

PD-84 of the '00 X FSM shows a 4.3 ratio LSD offered. The '02 manual only shows 4.6 and 4.9 rear ends available, so '00-'01 is probably what you're after (and the '01 manual suggests you'll only find 4.3 gears in a manual trans donor, so good luck). Haven't checked on the Fronty but I'd expect a similar story.

Awesome this is what I was looking for. Sounds like my chances of finding one are slim tho :(

Looks like 33 splines in the newer r50s at least, thanks for catching that, got my numbers mixed up :D

I'll keep checking the u pull it's but sounds like I'll end up with an r50 one. I'd like to regear and get a lokka for the front but that's not in the cards anytime soon.

Is there a lock-right for your diff? A buddy of mine and I spent the night before a Moab run years ago swapping the 3rd members between our WD21s. His was a 95 XE with open diff and mine was a 93SE with LSD. I wanted a locker, he wanted LSD, and we were both autos so had matching 4.63's. the lock-right just replaced the spiders, keeping the side gears so axle spline counts didn't matter. When we figured out while in Moab that the thrust block in the center of his diff that stayed home in my garage along with the spider gears was needed to keep the axle bearings happy in his drum brake axle and got it installed, we were both happy with the results. 

Looks like you've gotten some clarification on the splined parts.  The same Pathfinder ratios were in Frontiers and Xterras, with the exception of select 99-00 KC Frontiers (31-spline).  31-spline HG43 and HG46 ratios are slightly different from 33-spline versions, but the carrier prevents use in our trucks anyway unless you want to convert to 31-spline.

You won't find many 4.363's in Xterras because they were only in 00-01 XE V6 models, and for 01 only in XE V6 MT models.  Probably not very common.

Whereabouts in AZ are you?  If you can find any 33-spline LSD, I have two 4.363-geared pumpkins in my collection and could set them up for you.  (Fact is, I'm already sitting on 2 re-packed LSDs, but they are reserved for my homies.)  I've been meaning to hit a JY around here anyway to pull some 33-spline axle shafts to cut up to make a test tool for confirming numbers on them, which means I could also pull it apart and see if we can bump the numbers on it a little with the spare friction plates and discs I have.  Just a thought.

@Mr_Reverse No lunchbox locker options for us 33-spliners, unfortunately.  Some time ago (and probably still to this day), the Lock Right kept showing fitment in 31- and 33-spline carriers, but we were able to debunk its use in 33-spline open diffs, mainly because the type of carrier they fit into (2-piece/4-pinion) never existed in 33-spline applications (1-piece/2-pinion).  Even then, the side gear cuts between the 31- and 33-spline carriers are very different...31-spline more chiseled, 33-spline more rounded.  I did do a write up on how to convert to 31-spline, and also how to use a 31-spline Patrol lunchbox locker into a 33-spline open carrier...but that's as close as we're getting to lunchbox locker in our trucks.  (And at that rate, just pony up for an air or e-locker.)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, hawairish said:

Looks like you've gotten some clarification on the splined parts.  The same Pathfinder ratios were in Frontiers and Xterras, with the exception of select 99-00 KC Frontiers (31-spline).  31-spline HG43 and HG46 ratios are slightly different from 33-spline versions, but the carrier prevents use in our trucks anyway unless you want to convert to 31-spline.

You won't find many 4.363's in Xterras because they were only in 00-01 XE V6 models, and for 01 only in XE V6 MT models.  Probably not very common.

Whereabouts in AZ are you?  If you can find any 33-spline LSD, I have two 4.363-geared pumpkins in my collection and could set them up for you.  (Fact is, I'm already sitting on 2 re-packed LSDs, but they are reserved for my homies.)  I've been meaning to hit a JY around here anyway to pull some 33-spline axle shafts to cut up to make a test tool for confirming numbers on them, which means I could also pull it apart and see if we can bump the numbers on it a little with the spare friction plates and discs I have.  Just a thought.

That would be awesome! I'm in Tucson but my lady's family is in Phoenix so we're up there pretty regularly. I'll keep an eye out for a 33 spline lsd and be in touch! :)

1 hour ago, Mr_Reverse said:

Good info to know. Somehow I have managed to pass over learning much about the R50. It is kind of an odd duck in the Nissan truck line up.

Not surprising.  There's a divide between all models, and always seems that owners of one generation hate all the other generations.  Not unexpected considering how different each is.  Arguably the most bastardized lineage of any vehicle model out there.

• 1 year later...

Looking for a little clarification. I have a 1999.5 4WD automatic Pathfinder with NO LSD in the rear axle. It is an HG46 axle. I am considering swapping the third member with one that has LSD. From what I can tell, my best choices (higher break-away torque) for a donor with LSD are:

Pathfinder '96-'02 

Xterra '00-'02

Frontier '01-'02

Of course, these would have to have the HG46 axles as well.

My main question is will the third member from the '01-'02 Frontier work as well? I thought I read something was different. Maybe it is something to do with using the entire axle assembly and the mounting points?

Also, if I get a suitable donor third member with LSD,  it is just a straight swap into my axle housing, correct?

1 hour ago, Robster4777 said:

Looking for a little clarification. I have a 1999.5 4WD automatic Pathfinder with NO LSD in the rear axle. It is an HG46 axle. I am considering swapping the third member with one that has LSD. From what I can tell, my best choices (higher break-away torque) for a donor with LSD are:

Pathfinder '96-'02 

Xterra '00-'02

Frontier '01-'02

My main question is will the third member from the '01-'02 Frontier work as well? I thought I read something was different. Maybe it is something to do with using the entire axle assembly and the mounting points?

Also, if I get a suitable donor third member with LSD,  it is just a straight swap into my axle housing, correct?

Here's a fantastic guide written by a forum member:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/45698-how-to-repack-a-h233b-limited-slip-differential-lsd/

Edited by R50JR

Pathfinder '96-'02 

Xterra '00-'02

Frontier '01-'02

99 Frontiers are the ones to avoid because of the likelihood they are 31-spline HG46, not 33-spline.

Any discussions about using the full axle are moot.

And yes, the 3rd members will swap over.

Thank you all! I had read an old post on Nico club describing the breakaway torque depending on years. Looks like the Xterra from '00-'02 and Frontier from '01-'02 with LSD are my best bet for higher torque. But I will settle for '96-'02 Pathy. Especially since finding exactly what I want will be slim. Much appreciated.

I am going to focus on the '01-'02 Frontiers and '00-'02 Xterras. Those would be plenty ideal for my purposes. Maybe a dumb question, but was the LSD a factory option in the 2WD models?

Yes.

Notable only to 2WD R50s, they used a different pinion flange (6-point star) so you can only use the 3rd if you swap the flange (4-point square).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quick update. I ended up ordering a complete rear axle from a 2001 Xterra 4WD with an LSD Diff. and 4.63 gears and 98K miles on it. I removed the third member and swapped it out with my open diff. It was a bit of a job, especially removing and replacing the third members as they are quite heavy. Thankfully I had 2 other sets of hands to help. So far it seems to work great. I haven't really had a chance to test it thoroughly but I plan to soon. Thanks again for all the input!