Front Wheel Bearings

AlwaysWrenching

I was doing a tune up and inspection on the 1997 Pathfinder I recently purchased, I discovered a small amount of play in the passenger side front wheel. However when going down the road the bearings sound find. Is possible that the backlash is set wrong but the bearings are still good? Or when there is play do you just replace and re-pack the bearings? 

If you are certain that the play is in the bearings, then it wouldn't hurt to take a look. Once you get the drive flange off, you can look at the grease in the hub. If it looks ok, I would go ahead and tighten the bearing nut a bit and if there is no noise or roughness as the wheel turns, not really worry about it. 

It is much better for the bearings to be a little loose than too tight. If you lived with a twin traction beam or twin I beam Ford truck, you would know all about keeping the bearings slightly loose. 

Yes, it's fairly common for the bearings to si.ply loosen with time. Both mine and my flatmates r50s have had to have the front wheel bearings tightened. Nothing wrong with the bearings, just slight excess play. You should just get them tightened and checked. They're quite tough bearings being of the taper design but will wear prematurely if loose.

Funny you mention this - today I was taking a look at my brakes and had quite a lot of play on my driver tire (vertical axis). Sure enough the bearing was "look at it" loose. 

Waiting on the socket from Amazon to tighten it, but mine was causing some vibration on the highway. I think that but should be at something like 1.7-2inchlbs....not very tight

Funny you mention this - today I was taking a look at my brakes and had quite a lot of play on my driver tire (vertical axis). Sure enough the bearing was "look at it" loose. 

Waiting on the socket from Amazon to tighten it, but mine was causing some vibration on the highway. I think that but should be at something like 1.7-2inchlbs....not very tight

72 ft-lb, then loosen, retighten 13 in-lb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk