255/85r16

KiwiTerrano

New 4wd tyre time. When I bought the truck, I fitted a set of 31x10.5r15 mud terrains on the original wheels. I then more recently fitted a set of all terrain/road tyres on a other set of wheels for dailying on.

My original mud tyres are pretty poked now, down to <6 mm tread and are on wheels with a terrible factory offset.

Currently it sits on ironman 35 mm springs that have sagged back to standard height, with procomp es326500 rear shocks.

I'm planning on lifting the vehicle 70 mm or so with land rover rover rear springs, and 40 mm extra HD Cobra lift springs with 1" SF creation spacers in the front, plus manual locking hubs and a Chinese knockoff front air locker. It already has a rear lsd which I plan to shim up. 

I am also going to fit an MCC winch bar with a 12000 lb unit, alongside my custom front recovery points. 

The real question is what offset wheels I need to clear the front strut spring perches.

From what I have read, a 16x7 wheel with -13 offset should be sufficient to clear a 255/85r16 BFG KM2 in the front, as this is a very skinny tyre. 

In the rear I will be running the same tyre, but with a 16x7 wheel with a +13 offset. The logic behind this is to allow the wheel to stuff properly, as my current 31s stuff nicely in the rear with a +10 wheel. My flatmate has 15x7 -19 offset front and rear on his Terrano, and it can't stuff the rear wheels properly as they interfere with the arch with about 25 mm rubbing on the tyre. He's also on 31s. I may consider a 0 offset 16x7 if I can be convinced it will stuff properly.

TL/DR - will 255/85r16 BFG KM2 clear the front struts on 16x7 offset -13 wheels?

Edited by KiwiTerrano

Going by an online backspacing calculator, looks like those wheels should give you about 3.5" of backspacing. In general, 3.75" is the magic number to clear the struts with bigger tires up front. Some people have cleared with up to 4.25" that I've seen, depending on tire width and such. In your case, with those wheels, your tires will be sticking out a tad more than the 3.75" backspacing would allow, so you're good there.

To get another metric converted into a unit that's simpler, those tires are equivalent to a 33x10R16 (again going off an online calculator). Those are pretty narrow, so YMMV compared to what I'm about to say from my experience.

With my R50 I had 3.75" backspace wheels (.25" more than you, so .25" further tucked in) and cleared 32x11.50R15 tires on the front strut with a bit of room to spare. In the rear however, with stock shocks and bumpstops, the tires interfered with the rear arch a fair bit. Doing rough math here, your tires will stick out 0.5" less than mine (taking into account the wheel backspacing and tire width difference), so I don't think that's enough of a difference for you to avoid the same rubbing issues I had. Frankly I don't think you're going to get around that while having enough backspacing to clear the struts up front.

Best solution that I see is to just run that combo and plan to extend the rear bumpstop, either with an entirely different one from another vehicle, or more simply using a 2" thick by 3" diameter body lift spacer and a longer bolt to push the bumpstop down, thereby making it impossible for the tire to contact the arch. You can add some longer shocks out back to more than get back the articulation you're losing in uptravel.

TL/DR: Yup, it'll clear the front struts just fine. Gonna rub the rear arches when flexing though.

• Like 1

Sweet. The other thing worrying me is the scrub arc in the front, I'd rather not have to trim the hell out of the front guards and flares but I will if I have to.

I've already got shocks that are 27" extended in the rear, basically the maximum you can run with standard bumpstops.

Good to see the Terrano is in line to get some loving!
I'm keen to see the progress with all the updates you've mentioned above.
Have you considered relocating your intercooler with the installation of the bullbar or will it offer sufficient protection you think?

Those 255/85R16s will be monstrous vs a set of 31x10.5R15s, I imagine they're a bit pricier?

Edited by jtchal
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 4:45 PM, jtchal said:

Good to see the Terrano is in line to get some loving!
I'm keen to see the progress with all the updates you've mentioned above.
Have you considered relocating your intercooler with the installation of the bullbar or will it offer sufficient protection you think?

Those 255/85R16s will be monstrous vs a set of 31x10.5R15s, I imagine they're a bit pricier?

All the updates above are still to go on the truck unfortunately. I'm still working out if i want to blow $2000 on tyres. The cheapest 255/85r16 is $454NZ per tyre. Quite a bit.

But yes the clearance would be amazing. I'm tempted to pair it with hawairish's 2" SFD kit as it's going to need certing anyway. That would give me the perfect amount of clearance in the front, and then I could fit extended bump stops and 29" extended bilstein shocks in the rear for silly flex.