2003 Pathfinder newbie.

Kaesonbass

Hi there. I recently bought a 2003 stock Chilkoot pathfinder and am looking to give it a small lift with longer coils and struts rather than going with spacers. 

I mostly just need the clearance for getting to camp spots and shuttling fsrs for mountain biking but I’m also a carpenter and drive around with my tools in the back. Ideally I would like a lift to fit some bigger tires and to increase ground clearance but am looking for something sturdy enough to handle the weight of all the tools/camping gear/mountain bikes and riders as well. As my wrenching abilities are quite amateur I will have my mechanic do the work but he is having a difficult time locating parts for the job within Canada. Does anyone have a recommendation for parts that would work for this purpose? Input and advice is greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Kaes

This is basically a ditto of my response to another new member:

You should search & review the lift threads. I think virtually everyone would agree on Landrover Springs for the rear (2 heights & 2 spring rates). Most people use Bilstein shocks for the rear, either 5100s or 5160/65s.

The front has essentially 2 options: AC or ARB OME. The AC give you a full 2” lift but at the cost of a harsh ride. The OME are a superb ride but don’t lift as much (you’ll likely want a 1” spacer) & cost more. For struts the leaders are KYB & OME. Unfortunately, the OME cost 3x the KYB so it’s very reasonable to go with the KYB - no real complaints. For the strut bearing, use Nissan OME - too many problems with other brands. Make sure you read about & understand the top hat issues. I’d just reuse the OEM but if you go aftermarket, be sure you have the top hat spacer properly placed - history of many errors & failures there.

Specific to you - the 225# spring rate LR springs will hold your cargo weight with no problem & still give a good road feel. Given that you’re a carpenter, maybe consider a cargo drawer system for your tools.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 1:35 PM, RainGoat said:

This is basically a ditto of my response to another new member:

Thanks for the advice! I spent the weekend pouring over the lift threads and have found some pretty good info. I am now going to go for a bit of rake for keeping level while loaded -  something I wouldn't have even thought of until reading up. 

Looks like I'll be going with the LR NRC9449s and a set of Bilsteins for the rear. Pretty good prices from lrdirect.com. Seems like the front is a bit more difficult to decide on than the rear. I wonder if anyone has used LR coils up front with any luck? Or if anyone knows of an existing complete strut assembly that can do the job?

I have considered different cargo ideas for hauling my tools around but quickly realized that as soon as the weekend hits, all the tools come out to make room for the toys haha. I settled on a rolling tool stack instead. 

• Like 1

Also - do you have part numbers for the front components you recommend? 

This is what I put on; however, you can save quite a bit with KYB struts & they are generally very well regarded. You should get the OEM Strut Bearing - you do not need to get the spring seat or bellows & bump stop - most people reuse their own but I wanted to do this once & these seemed like parts worth replacing to me - though their OEM nature really bumps up the cost.

ARB Old Man Emu Struts N145S(L) & N146 $210/@4WP/Desert Rat

ARB Brake Line Clips

OEM Replacement Parts

Strut Bearing [54325-5V000] $48.54=$24.27x2

Spring Seat [54034-0W000] $45.42=$22.71x2

Bellows & Bump Stop [54050-0W002] $38.86=$19.43x2

infinitipartsdeal.com

ARB OME Heavy Load Spring (110-220#) [2928] 0.5" Lift $167@Desert Rat/4WP

Did you get any lift with this combo or did you use spacers as well?

DO NOT use any spacers with NEW ome or ac springs. shafts will bind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heights on Stock Wheels (29.5”)
No spacer though I believe @02_Pathy has a 1” spacer on the same setup without the heavy steel front bumper

Post Lift with 97# bumper
Midfender
F: D 33" P 33.5"

PreLift
MidFender/HubCtr
F: D 31.75"/14" P 31.75"/14"

Heights on Stock Wheels (29.5”)
No spacer though I believe @02_Pathy has a 1” spacer on the same setup without the heavy steel front bumper

Post Lift with 97# bumper
Midfender

PreLift
MidFender/HubCtr

Wow that bumper lowers the front nearly 2”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that bumper lowers the front nearly 2”

Unknown. The bumper went on before the front suspension was lifted - not my plan but the PNW R50 group couldn’t resist mounting it when the bumper arrived & my sad front end was there looking at it. It actually needs to come off for significant touch up welding, grinding & painting as well as mounting the winch & lights. Even without the bumper, the front would still have been lower than the rear since we put the LR9448s on the rear in anticipation of the SFD. And by we, I mean it wouldn’t have been accomplished without the expertise of [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] for which I am immensely grateful! 

Suspension

Both with Toyo Open Country A/TII 245/65R17

Lift s SFD

Midfender

R: D 37" P 38"

PreLift

(Original Stock OEM@106K miles & 17yrs)

MidFender/HubCtr

R: D 30.75"/14" P 30 7/8"/14"