Transmission Operating Temp

19Pathy94se30

Thank you very much!!! I had been scouring the net but apparently not in the right places. I think because of the shotty stock transmission cooler system it’s making my engine over heat on the trail but street driving it’s fine. My plan is to buy an external cooler and fan assembly and a temp controller as well but I wasn’t too sure what the range was. I hope this helps future folks as well!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave the FSM a quick scour, but didn't see anything in particular. Good actual numbers like adamzan gave are best, though.

You definitely want to upgrade to an external cooler. I did it for mine, albeit too late, and it even made my coolant run less hot. I didn't use a fan for the trans cooler, though, you might seen even better temps.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 19Pathy94se30 said:

Does anyone have a clue as to what the normal operating temp is on a normal A/T pathfinder is? I can’t seem to find the info anywhere. WD21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may help, http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/45134-help-identifying-some-hosepiping-94-pathfinder/?tab=comments#comment-812720

Edited by xylicon

• 4 weeks later...

There's no way the transmission cooler would cause the engine to overheat. There is a huge amount of surface area in the radiator and the trans cooler is just a small tube sitting in the bottom tank. If the engine is overheating at low speeds I would investigate the fan clutch.

Edited by adamzan

If you’ve already got something going on creating excessive heat beyond what the radiator was spec’d to remove, or like what was said above about the fan clutch, you would want to fix that first.

I experience excessive heat buildup, I assume from friction of a worn engine/oil pump and I ended up installing an electric radiator fan as a countermeasure.

Before that I installed a trans cooler and bypassed the one integrated in the radiator. I did notice that coolant temps were slower to rise after the external cooler but continued to rise indefinitely.

Like was said above, the integrated trans cooler just doesn’t have the surface area to overcome the much much larger surface area of the radiator core. Turning the heater on to bring coolant temps down works because that heat exchanger is quite big.

• Like 1

AFAIK engine wear and low oil pressure don't generally heat the whole engine, just whichever bearing(s) get the short end of the oil supply, and they don't suffer in silence for long. On an engine that's overheating but not obviously beating itself to death, I'd expect retarded ignition timing, restricted airflow, or a fault with the cooling system rather than a lube issue.

I'd be concerned for the trans if it was making enough heat to overwhelm the engine's cooling system, but adding a cooler to the system certainly won't hurt anything. The only time I've had mine overheat was going up a tight windy mountain pass in 100°+ weather with the aircon blasting. Pulling over or turning off the aircon got the temp back down in a hurry, though like OSB said, running the heater is also a good way to dump some engine heat if you need to.