tired engine, what to do?

r3dplanet

I haven't seen that write up, but I'll look some more. And yes, parts availability is my hesitancy point. I'll see if I can find some random parts from Canadian or Mexican parts sites. It's intriguing but I'm not a masochist.

The Cummins 4BT is cool as b@lls, but they weigh a lot. As in 750 pounds.

I'm tilting toward the TD27T just because it has less electronics. If the QD32ETI ECU just controls the fuel system, then great. I just don't know about ABS, CC, etc. I'll keep reading. People talk about Isuzu 3.0 Diesels but I don't see any examples of that.

Edited by r3dplanet

Yeah, I know the 4bt is heavy, 300 lbs heavier than the vg30, I think it would be we'll worth the time or at least investigating the possibility. What would be awesome if it could be bolted directly to the manual 5 speed. I am sure there would definitely be an SAS in this deal too..

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

I personally don't understand the diesel desire I keep seeing, but then again, they are not a practical engine for my uses. Where I live, the fuel costs more than gasoline so MPG savings are offset by fuel cost. Maintenance costs are higher as well. 

About a year ago, I borrowed one of the rental trucks the dealership I was working at to move my daughter back home from Phoenix Arizona. We covered a bit over 1000 miles in 24 hours in a 2018 Titan XD 4x4 with a 4" lift and aggressive ATs. It was the one with the 5.0 Cummins and it even convinced my daughter that it was not something that she would like to have. Originally it was going to be a Platinum with the 5.6, but it didn't get returned in time, so stuck with the diesel we were, beggars can't be choosers and all that. Driving from Ogden Utah to Phoenix Arizona and back, we averaged about 15.6 MPG. Then had the low DEF warning come on at 3AM in the middle of nowhere was an additional $28. I have driven a lot of Titan XDs in my time working at the Nissan dealership and for me and my driving style, the gasser just works better. Power and fuel economy are similar, but the gas engine is more responsive. 

In my years as a mechanic in independent shops, have found that to remain true with all the brands. With similar chassis and similar engine sizes, light trucks really don't benefit from diesel power without a lot of modern enhancements. 

I have a 2007 Chevy 3/4 ton with a 6.6 Duramax and it's been a great truck, the mileage hauling/towing is better than that of its gas counterpart. That truck has been driven from Texas to Colorado many times while my eldest was in college in CO. When driven conservatively I have gotten 18 mpg towing a trailer.
I will agree with you about all of the current diesels with all of the dpf system and extra smog crap, its not worth it, I wouldn't have a new one. My 6.6 is one of the last years before they started putting all of that smog crap on them and completely ruining the practicality of a diesel truck. I have a friend that had my truck newer gas counterpart, 2015 GMC 6.0 gas 3/4 ton truck, it towed just fine, but, only got 12 mpg, the absolute best mileage ive gotten towing is 19.8 towing a 6000 lb vehicle on a U-haul trailer from Texas to Alabama on the flat stretches with a tailwind, 70 mph seems to be the DMaxes sweet spot for towing mileage.
Government mandates on emmisions have killed the draw, at least for me, to newer diesel trucks. As for the 5.0 Cummins the engine itself would be a beast without all of the smog crap on it and in a lighter truck/vehicle.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Hey gang. The Diesel conversion is a moot point. I emailed the Oregon DMV about a swap and they gave me a solid response:

"Unfortunately foreign engines are not approved for use in the US. If 1995 Pathfinders were imported with that engine you could absolutely do it, but the fact that Nissan never had that engine approved by the EPA it can’t be used in any vehicle. I’ve included a copy of the EPA’s engine switching fact sheet so you can review it. If you have any other questions about engine swaps please feel free to contact me."

So there it is straight from the horse's mouth.

Onward to the VG33E!

Edited by r3dplanet

12 hours ago, onespiritbrain said:

So you can swap any engine that was approved by the EPA? Or only engine’s that were approved for that chassis?

From the paperwork it looks like you can swap any engine from the same make/model year familyso long as it was an optional choice for the US market. For example, you could legally swap in a KA24 engine from 1987 if you really felt like it because both are 1st gen WD21 models. But since I'm basically swapping the same engine with an ODB 1 system so nobody is going to know or care. Oregon doesn't have vehicle inspections at all except for air pollution. So long as the VG33EE pollutes the same or less as the VG30E within a certain percentage I'll be fine. In the past my Pathfinder has sailed right through emissions testing without a whimper. In and out in ten minutes, no big deal. Otherwise you need to let your vehicle just get old enough. My other cars are all older than 1971, and the State cutoff is 1973. So when my Pathfinder eventually turns 50 it will become exempt.

Anyway, it's clear that Oregon is simply following Federal guidelines so this likely applies to every state.

I'm not bitchy about because I've been through this once before when I tried to import a 2005 VW Golf TDI (turbo diesel) that a Canadian friend gave to me.  I fixed it all up but no go. The Feds (Border Patrol) were not having it. I got paperwork from VW of Canada showing that it met (exceeded) US EPA and safety standards but they didn't care. So I sold the whole car to a guy in Vancouver BC and used the money to buy another Golf TDI in Seattle that wasn't as good.

Basically the Feds are very suspicious of Diesel, even though I run biodiesel and take the smog equipment somewhat seriously. Ah well. No fighting them. If any given engine was never sold domestically in the States, you can't legally swap it. No EPA approval, no swap.

I feel bitchy about it. From traffic fines and emissions on citizens to carbon taxes and the ISO mafia on business, I think it’s all a racket based on science that was paid for by government grants. Bleeding heart.. greed.

Sorry about that. I think the VG33 swap will be awesome anyway!