I got a new toy to play with...

Slick

So... I was out front on Saturday, a nice, warm, sunny afternoon, working on cars..when a dude pulls up. he said he had bought some stuff from my bf b 4 and wondered if he would want to weld his new exhaust system for him??

So, we talk.. yada yada.. and he turns to me and says.. 'oh, btw, do you want a 1980 Chevy 4x4 for free?". If I was a dog my ears would have been at full attention.

I smile and say HELL YEAH! and he tells me he took the motor out and just wants the tranny back. Ok, done deal. (upon further inspection turbo 400 tranny was fried anyhoo)

We head to his house with Dave's truck n trailer... and there she was..sitting wheel high in grass...toe up from the floor up but shining with potential.. in my eyes anyway. Dave just rolled his.... men.... anyhooo.. so we loaded her up n got her home.

Found she has a 205 t-case, 10 bolt front, 12 bolt rear, 4x4 and some almost brand new Bridgestone duelers.. 31x10.5x15.. just my Pathy's shoe size.. hehe.

Well.. we got busy and began tearing what was left of her apart. More pics to follow soon. but, here's the link of what she looked like when we had just got her home.

My plans... to build a wicked fun rock crawler, beach b!tch and general brain stomper. She will be armed with a 454, and a diamond plate bed with tubular fram around it.. cab from bf's truck (once he swaps bodies), and custom bumpers all round. The dually has D60 & 44's ..so i might steal them from my bf..hehe

She is ugly now....wait til I am done.. she will be beautifully ugly!! LOL

Hey..it was FREE.. what was a girl supposed to do?? (and PLEASE don't say "just say NO")

Oh.. and I got the truck from the ORIGINAL owner...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pathy4x4/alb...hy4x4/my_photos

Edited by Slick

Oof, that thing is ugly :oops:

But than again it was free, I don't think I could say no to a free truck either. At the very least you're getting a free set of tires. Looks like you got a lot of work ahead P...

LOL Slick, I think you just like working on them, not driving them... Not that there is anything wrong with working on them, but thats not all of the fun !! ;) Not like I should talk... The Pathy will be "done" (for now) in a month or two, so that only leaves me 2 other projects in the works; a 79 VW bug convertible and a BMW motorcycle... Congrats on the score. You seem to know chevys so I'm sure you'll get it working nicely. After all, Pathys aren't the ONLY vehicle worth tinkering with... :X

B

FREE is good.. verrrrrrrrry goooood..hehe.. yes, we have everything Chevy (like...7 of them besides extra parts) and I do love working on things, best way to learn. At least when I CAN drive the beast, I can say "I built that!!". It will be a hard, long job, but I'll make sure the end result is worth it.

It is pretty much strilled down now,taking the cab and bed off tomorrow, gunna clean, scrub, sand n wash the frame, then prime and paint the frame real good. Then get busy on the cab from Dave's truck..prime n paint that after some small repairs.. then to the mechanics..... -bounce-

btw- the t-case alone is worth $200-400! hehe.. and 2 almost new "shoes" for the Pathy...

Edited by Slick

Potential, potential, potential. You got that right, I think it'll be a beauty. Kinda the "Ugly Duckling" right now but getting it for free? Even if you put a couple grand in it, it will still be something worth having. My $.02 *off the soapbox* :takebow:

Yeah.. with some hard work and time, patience, and a BIG tool box.. I think she will be quite wicked when done.

I figured I couldn't lose....hell.... just the t-case would buy the Pathy new tires.....(IF..she needed them).. I must admit.. it will be kinda nice to have a Chevy of my own again... as well as good strong back-up for the Pathy off road....or could it be vise-versa? hehehe :contract: :aok:

Here is the album for my progress with the "Big Ugly" (#2 actually). I have got quite a bit done, but not b 4 the Chevy BIT my Pathy while towing it out front!!! Bite mark pics in album...BAD Chebby.. BAAAAAAAAAAAD...... :nono:

Today I pulled the last of the remaining useless "gadgets" off so now some gunk, sand paper and another blast with the pressure washer is due b 4 painting. -bounce-

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pathy4x4/alb...ren%3as,5%3af,0

hey man, are those Pathfinder wheels on the trailer? that's funny.

hey man, if these guys here say it's ugly, it's not. that thing is pretty cool, that thing is going to look insane after it's fixed up. keep up with the posts and i wanna see how it turns out.

Well.. I am FEMALE.. but everyone says MAN (slang) so I guess I won't be offended. YES!!!!!!!! You win the PRIZE!! I put my old Pathy rims on the trailer!!!!!! You were the first to notice!! LOL

Well.. I decided to hold out for my favorite dream color of teal green for the truck. I (if the rain stops) will be painting the frame Sun or Mon after final preps on the metal work. I need to have my bf's bro weld a spot b 4 I paint. It will be wicked cool when it's done.....about a year from now.. LOL..but my Pathy will ALWAYS be #1 in my stable. -bounce-

I have been tossing around the idea of a 4 link suspension on the rear for the truck too..... :idea:

Thanks for the update there Slick :-)

What rims/tires are you running on the Pathy now?

Do love seeing a work in progress, definately helps if your a chevy fan too :D

PS. Don't you love those side mount gas tanks?

Sorry Pezzy, I think I am gunna hold out for my fave color, teal green..... but, we'll see.. it will be green..that's a definite!! LOL.

OK peeps... UPDATE: here are the plans for my bed design. (I am NOOOO architect kinda deally bobber)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pathy4x4/det...5c2.jpg&.src=ph

The neck of the fuel cell will have a custom clip down cover over it so it doesn't get damaged in the bed. The actual cell will be under the sheet of diamondplate.. and 88.. b 4 you say I am psycho and will waste $$ BUYING DP... I have a buddy who owns a company and he gets it and gives it away FREE all the time :P . OK. the tool box will be your standard husky tool box, bolted to the diamond plate floor. The retractable light bar on the rear will encase all the std lights you need to have for street driving, but for off road there will be a switch that flips it up toward the "bed" (as if you were raising your tailgate) so they do not get damaged wheeling..... whatcha think??? Do I have too much time on my hands???

BTW. Frame painting will begin when rain ends :angry: it's prepped, sanded, washed n ready to paint... :idea: -thnkboutit-

Are you sure you aren't an "architect kinda deally bobber" slick? :P It looks a lot better with the cab off. I really like the stepside bed design, looks a lot cooler than a boring regular bed. I think the diamond plate will look cool.

It rained all weekend here too. Looks like the rains stopped now, but it's supposed to rain again Weds. I was going to go wheelin in the rain Sat. but my friend got the crapped kicked out of him in Ju Jitsu and wasn't up to doing anything. :angry:

But things will still be good and muddy this weekend :aok:

LOL. I thought LEARNING ju-jitsu was to STOP getting yer a$$ kicked??? LMAO. Anyhoo... LOL.. no.. I have some wicked cool ideas for my truck.. but have to figure out what will work/be versatile. I started painting the frame today.... couple days it should be done. PHEW! looking good now! yeah, I prefer short beds. Always wanted one.. now I got one.. hehehe...time to go to town! :cool2:

Another update. Almost done with painting the frame..but here's what it looks like so far. Sposed to have t'storms today so no finishing the job today. -bounce-

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pathy4x4/det...80f.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pathy4x4/det...2c9.jpg&.src=ph

BTW.. those 31" Duelers on the front of my frame are going to find their way ontot the Pathy.. VERY sooooooon......... :aok: