Would like to swap my transmission but don't know what to look for.

Linz

Hello everyone!

I have an '87 4x4 XE-V6 Pathfinder, and the automatic transmission is going bad. I am looking to either get it rebuilt or swap it out. My questions are;

Would it be easier/better to have it rebuilt or to replace it? 

If I replace it, would it be better to have automatic or manual?

I'm aware that I can replace it with one from a newer year, is there a specific year that works best in the 87? Without having to replace the engine as well?

Can I replace it with one from an Xterra, and if so, what years/auto/manual would be best?

I mainly use it for overlanding/offroading, and I will have to drive it on the freeway to get it there. I've done a lot of work to it so far, so I'm trying to find the best option that's not gonna break the bank!

Thank you for helping me out!

• Like 1

Does yours have the three-speed or the four-speed? 88+ got a four-speed, which is easily replaced with the later four-speeds (including the one from the first-gen Xterra). If you've got the three-speed, you may have a bit of a project on your hands converting the wiring and computer to run the four-speed, and sourcing parts to rebuild the three-speed might be a whole other challenge. If you want to go manual, the '96+ transmissions are slightly revised to hold up better, so you might as well take advantage of that. (Earlier boxes tended to have issues with the countershaft bearings; later boxes moved the fill hole up slightly to increase the oil level.) Any Pathfinder, Frontier, or Xterra with the 3.3 should have the updated trans. Takes a little screwing around to do an auto/manual swap (though there's at least one good thread on here from someone who's done it), but the good news is the engine computer won't notice or care.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 5:53 AM, Slartibartfast said:

Does yours have the three-speed or the four-speed? 88+ got a four-speed, which is easily replaced with the later four-speeds (including the one from the first-gen Xterra). If you've got the three-speed, you may have a bit of a project on your hands converting the wiring and computer to run the four-speed, and sourcing parts to rebuild the three-speed might be a whole other challenge. If you want to go manual, the '96+ transmissions are slightly revised to hold up better, so you might as well take advantage of that. (Earlier boxes tended to have issues with the countershaft bearings; later boxes moved the fill hole up slightly to increase the oil level.) Any Pathfinder, Frontier, or Xterra with the 3.3 should have the updated trans. Takes a little screwing around to do an auto/manual swap (though there's at least one good thread on here from someone who's done it), but the good news is the engine computer won't notice or care.

Thank you for getting back to me. I think it's a 3 speed. Had another question after spending an hour or two trying to figure out, i got a friend who I'm thinking of buying his 02 supercharged Xterra M/T transmission. can I use the flywheel out of the Xterra and use it on the Vg30 motor? Or do I need to get the flywheel out from a M/T Pathfinder?

Rockauto shows mostly the same clutches (same part #s) for an '87 Pathy and an '02 Xterra, so you should be alright reusing the X flywheel, provided it's in good shape. IIRC the flywheel bolts are longer than the flexplate bolts, so save those when you pull the flywheel.

• Like 1