Steering wheel wobble

mandersen8

Hi, 

I am having a little wobble in my steering wheel it starts at 35 and end at 45 mph. I have a 6" lift and SFD. I do not have the missing link installed and have not replaced the bushing. I am running 35" tires and had no issue until I  installed the tires. My question is will installing the missing link help?

Trying to upload a video but it wont let me. If you click on the link to facebook you can see the video i post in one of the groups.  https://www.facebook.com/brice.andersen/videos/2273119726075568/

I don't think it will help your wobble. I've never read it helped others with wobble at a specific speed. That sounds like a tire balance issue. If you want an excuse to put on a missing link, go for it. But after tires I'd be looking at other front suspension components.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I would definitely go down the balance path. I had a 55-65MPH wobble that I could not fix. No bad bushings left to change, but it couldn't have been balance because it was just done.

I took it to the tire shop and got it road force balanced, and the wobble is pretty much eradicated. One of the tires wasn't set on the wheel properly and it had too much weight trying to balance _that_ issue out.

I thought it was a tire balance issue but I had tire BB put into them and I was not able to get the wobble to stop. I need to get new bushing for sure but it does not seem to be the issue. I am at a lost to be honest.

In all likelihood, the source of the wobble is due to the weakening of the rear subframe mount on the unibody, induced by the narrow rounded top of the spacer, the height of the spacer, and the lack of a missing link.  The unibody pad at the rear is just two thin layers of formed sheet metal with some nuts welded on.  Your 2" wide spacers probably only have a contact area about 1.5" wide, and with rounded edges top and bottom.  Being 6" tall creates leverage, too.  Lacking a missing link allows the rear horns of the subframe to flex; the subframe may even already be cracked.  The rear subframe also absorbs a lot of impact from the tires hitting the road or other objects.

Of all things, the missing link is perhaps the most important part.  I know you've got one ordered, but you should also consider some other lateral bracing because of the height of yours and low contact area on the spacer.  The welds you've applied are not sufficient.

This is what is possible without a missing link on an SFD'd truck (not mine):

IMG-7497.jpg

IMG-7493.jpg

IMG-7500.jpg

IMG-7499.jpg

• Like 3

So I have only had the SFD on for about 2 month with maybe 1K miles in travel no hard off roading yet.

I know the missing link is important but everyone on Facebook keeps saying "Oh that wont help". God know these guys mostly just talk out there ass but it made me worried lol. 

Thank you for the pictures that is exactly what I am afraid will happen I also have them welded at the top. I want to do something that connect the blocks together but the front drive shaft is in the way. I was think of doing a triangle form the block to the missing link

2 hours ago, mandersen8 said:

I know the missing link is important but everyone on Facebook keeps saying "Oh that wont help". God know these guys mostly just talk out there ass but it made me worried lol. 

Thank you for the pictures that is exactly what I am afraid will happen I also have them welded at the top. I want to do something that connect the blocks together but the front drive shaft is in the way. I was think of doing a triangle form the block to the missing link

I saw some of those posts, one from a former owner here.  I totally disagree with him; a missing link is a must for SFD trucks...and not something made from angle-iron, rebar, or conduit; not rigid enough.  Non-SFD trucks probably see less benefit because the subframe is no less rigid than the chassis it's directly bolted to.

This is what our subframe looks like naked:

subframe-top.jpg

Bottom

subframe-bottom.jpg

As you can see, there's a single crossmember that only provides rigidity towards the front of the subframe.  When it's bolted to the chassis without SFD, the chassis adds rigidity to the rear.  When you move it away from the chassis via SFD, the rear of the subframe can flex.  The missing link boxes in the subframe somewhat, reducing flex.

Those damage pics are from my buddy's truck, @Jax99.  His spacers are identical to mine...in fact, I had them made and I did that install several years ago, shortly after installing my own.  The difference is that I've had a missing link and skid plate the whole time.  He's since had the subframe replaced and the chassis repaired, with the blocks welded on in that spot and gusseted to the subframe, plus the truck now has my old missing link and skid plates.

But wait, there's more...he recently struck a curb on the same side he had subframe damage.  This is the difference of damage transfer when a missing link exists and the spacer is reinforced:

AA5-C14-F7-2-D3-C-4-AAD-B7-A1-063-BD8-CE

2-B0-ABC7-C-B4-C6-4207-9-FAF-96-C5-B645-

For yours, I think you need similar gusseting.  I'd say weld them to the top of the subframe if needed, but you may also need to consider a way to box in that 6"x2" tube.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, hawairish said:

I saw some of those posts, one from a former owner here.  I totally disagree with him; a missing link is a must for SFD trucks...and not something made from angle-iron, rebar, or conduit; not rigid enough.  Non-SFD trucks probably see less benefit because the subframe is no less rigid than the chassis it's directly bolted to.

This is what our subframe looks like naked:

subframe-top.jpg

Bottom

subframe-bottom.jpg

As you can see, there's a single crossmember that only provides rigidity towards the front of the subframe.  When it's bolted to the chassis without SFD, the chassis adds rigidity to the rear.  When you move it away from the chassis via SFD, the rear of the subframe can flex.  The missing link boxes in the subframe somewhat, reducing flex.

Those damage pics are from my buddy's truck, @Jax99.  His spacers are identical to mine...in fact, I had them made and I did that install several years ago, shortly after installing my own.  The difference is that I've had a missing link and skid plate the whole time.  He's since had the subframe replaced and the chassis repaired, with the blocks welded on in that spot and gusseted to the subframe, plus the truck now has my old missing link and skid plates.

But wait, there's more...he recently struck a curb on the same side he had subframe damage.  This is the difference of damage transfer when a missing link exists and the spacer is reinforced:

AA5-C14-F7-2-D3-C-4-AAD-B7-A1-063-BD8-CE

2-B0-ABC7-C-B4-C6-4207-9-FAF-96-C5-B645-

For yours, I think you need similar gusseting.  I'd say weld them to the top of the subframe if needed, but you may also need to consider a way to box in that 6"x2" tube.

Yes, I do not disagree with you. So you saw the post of facebook and the comments form the kid that said he doesn't think the linkage will even help? lol I was like idk man it seems like it would help alot. I do need to box the tube I am think of doing that on the front end just to give it some more strength. thank you for the advise I have a missing link coming my way from Steve at SFcreation next week so I will post the results after I install it.

9 hours ago, mandersen8 said:

Yes, I do not disagree with you. So you saw the post of facebook and the comments form the kid that said he doesn't think the linkage will even help? lol I was like idk man it seems like it would help alot. I do need to box the tube I am think of doing that on the front end just to give it some more strength. thank you for the advise I have a missing link coming my way from Steve at SFcreation next week so I will post the results after I install it.

Don't get me wrong, Dustin did some cool things to his truck and I've got respect for him.  I just assert there is value to having a missing link.  I'd even still advocate it on a non-SFD truck, especially as a means to attach a skid plate which, in addition to providing much-needed protection, also stiffens the subframe.

All things said, I hope the ML solves your problem.  Keep us posted.

10 hours ago, hawairish said:

Don't get me wrong, Dustin did some cool things to his truck and I've got respect for him.  I just assert there is value to having a missing link.  I'd even still advocate it on a non-SFD truck, especially as a means to attach a skid plate which, in addition to providing much-needed protection, also stiffens the subframe.

All things said, I hope the ML solves your problem.  Keep us posted.

Yeah I think Dustin has some valid points he was making as well. I will keep everyone posted bc I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. I get the link next week I hope from @fleurys

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, hawairish said:

@mandersen8 Saw on the FB that the missing link resolved the wobble. 

So as you can see on FB video the flex that was showing in the first video is gone. I still have some wobble at about 45MPH but it not as bad and I think it might be a alignment issue. Any thoughts on that. The link did help alot thanks @fleurys.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, fleurys said:

@mandersen8any chance you can link the video cause somehow I can't find the post on FB....

@fleurys I tagged you on FB but here is the link as well. https://www.facebook.com/brice.andersen/videos/pcb.384704262244131/2293504070703800/?type=3&ifg=1&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARAKLb5O3ynrROpW98L6CTxvBC45ju44-L9V_LdYo_w1u5NAbCbs5PGIR10anQxkY71pReq692e9vlgT