Jump to content

Due to a hardware failure on the hosts systems, all posts and messages created between May 26th and Jan 13th have been lost. Additionally, if you joined the NPORA Forums community during that time, you'll need to re-register. -NPORA Mod Team *Updated: 05/19/2022 12:15AM PST

Spring Break 2020 Meetup


Destination  

41 members have voted

  1. 1. Where should we meet March 2020?

    • Arizona/SoCal
      12
    • Washington/Oregon
      18
    • Idaho
      1
    • Colorado
      5
    • Midwest
      2
    • Moab
      3


Recommended Posts

It’s official, we have too many pathfinders. Too many pathfinders NOT to coordinate some kind of trail run. I would like to coordinate a pathfinder meetup during March 8-14 (my college spring break), and I’m down to meet anywhere. With the time of year/weather in mind (March), where should we meet? Stock, modified, any generation, I think it would be awesome to have a big NPORA get together!

Edited by PathyDude17
because Tyler ;)
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, if you voted, and would be willing to do so, I’d appreciate hearing reasoning for why we should go to one spot or another, and the likelihood that you would be able to attend. Thanks!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Washington area is closer to me as i dont have the time or money to go much farther. All the mountains are similar to my province which i know my pathy can handle. And if camping was an option theres lots of spots in the trees for me and my little trailer.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I voted for Moab cause I feel like it’s not a place a lot of us have been, it’s central, and should (correct me if I’m wrong) have somewhat predictable/pleasant weather for the time of year. And if I’m honest, it’s only on this kind of trip that I’m gonna make it down there. I can see Idaho anytime I want, but making it to Utah is a different kind of special. Just my $.02

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am partial to Moab, but it is relatively local to me. Early March the weather is generally Cold and wet there though. Snow is very likely. It isn't until about mid May that it warms up and dries out.  A week or two before Easter is a great time for Moab in that it hasn't gotten hot yet, the weather is mild and the insanity of the Easter Jeep Safari hasn't kicked in. The prices are still a bit lower then also due to the pre season. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t think the time of year is conducive to the NW & especially not ID or MT as that’s even more true there. Our mountains will still be snow bound. CO the same. UT can still be wet & cold that time of year - though not a dealbreaker (@02_Pathy was there about that time of year this year). Frankly, AZ is perfect that time of year as it’s when the Sonoran desert blooms. CA/TX would also be good but Big Bend is far away even if you live in TX.

Edited by RainGoat
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RainGoat said:

I don’t think the time of year is conducive to the NW & especially not ID or MT as that’s even more true there. Our mountains will still be snow bound. CO the same. UT can still be wet & cold that time of year - though not a dealbreaker (@02_Pathy was there about that time of year this year). Frankly, AZ is perfect that time of year as it’s when the Sonoran desert blooms. CA/TX would also be good but Big Bend is far away even if you live in TX.

Arizona would be awesome as well. After enduring an Iowa (that’s not a typo) winter, some Arizona weather would be welcome for me! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I voted for the midwest a) because I'm in college and I don't know if thats my spring break, so I don't know how far I can go, and b) I'm in college and am therefore broke af.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it were here in AZ or even SoCal, I would probably try to make it, but needing to travel more than 5-6 hours or so would probably keep me from being able to do.

(that's assuming I get this heap up and running the way it should in time)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im inclined to make the meetup point more central. Moab is a 16hr drive one way which makes it a somewhat prohibitive location. What about something more central to everyone? Oregon,  Idaho or Nevada? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TowndawgR50 said:

Im inclined to make the meetup point more central. Moab is a 16hr drive one way which makes it a somewhat prohibitive location. What about something more central to everyone? Oregon,  Idaho or Nevada? 

what about northern california?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we'd be fooling ourselves to think that any one location is "central enough" for everyone to have a chance at making it. Even the most central location would be really too far for anyone to want to drive, I'd think. I know that even in a perfectly running vehicle, some place like ID or OR would just be too far (20 hours to Portland, OR, as a quick search reveals).

It might make more sense to break it up regionally. That would give more people a chance to gather in central locations to smaller areas, rather than it just being luck of the vote as to where something happens. There's a whole eastern half of the country that is not represented by the poll; supposedly Pathfinders were sold there, too. :D

Having been involved in planning wide-scale things like this in the past, it really does just work better to have smaller, regional events than expect everyone to agree on a singular location that's not accessible for 95% (or more) of the hopeful participants.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, chrisfromthelc said:

I think we'd be fooling ourselves to think that any one location is "central enough" for everyone to have a chance at making it. Even the most central location would be really too far for anyone to want to drive, I'd think. I know that even in a perfectly running vehicle, some place like ID or OR would just be too far (20 hours to Portland, OR, as a quick search reveals).

It might make more sense to break it up regionally. That would give more people a chance to gather in central locations to smaller areas, rather than it just being luck of the vote as to where something happens. There's a whole eastern half of the country that is not represented by the poll; supposedly Pathfinders were sold there, too. :D

Having been involved in planning wide-scale things like this in the past, it really does just work better to have smaller, regional events than expect everyone to agree on a singular location that's not accessible for 95% (or more) of the hopeful participants.

That’s a lot of good points! After having the Montana meetup, we felt inclined to try and get a larger group together. I’m mostly trying to garner interest and ideas, but I think you’ll ultimately be right on that it ends up being a regional meetup. A lot of people will have conflicting work schedules or events, but I figured I’d get the word out early. I will have the fortune of being able to go anywhere over spring break, so for those of us who are certain we can plan around that week, and for whoever is willing to drive that far to wherever we end up, I’m down to go wheel and finally meet some of you in person. I think the goal of this thread is to eventually get the word out on where and when an open-to-anyone pathfinder meetup will be. The poll only matters insofar as the people who voted are capable of making the trip, which could end up being arbitrary. Thanks though! 

 

And yes, the east coast is not at all represented. I don’t want to go over there, it’s too far

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, chrisfromthelc said:

I think we'd be fooling ourselves to think that any one location is "central enough" for everyone to have a chance at making it. Even the most central location would be really too far for anyone to want to drive, I'd think. I know that even in a perfectly running vehicle, some place like ID or OR would just be too far (20 hours to Portland, OR, as a quick search reveals).

It might make more sense to break it up regionally. That would give more people a chance to gather in central locations to smaller areas, rather than it just being luck of the vote as to where something happens. There's a whole eastern half of the country that is not represented by the poll; supposedly Pathfinders were sold there, too. :D

Having been involved in planning wide-scale things like this in the past, it really does just work better to have smaller, regional events than expect everyone to agree on a singular location that's not accessible for 95% (or more) of the hopeful participants.

id totally be down to drive down but then i would have to bring my trailer, which is cheaper then a hotel. i gotta pay gas so it would be harder if its farther then whats close to my boarder (british columbia)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Makes sense. Regional meetups would definitely have better turnouts and those willing to drive could always make the trip from father away. Maybe we could change the location of this thread to a regional sectionsod of the forum to incorporate all generations of pathfinders? 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m probably gonna end up driving from Iowa up to Bozeman (@micahfelker) and then out to Washington. I’ve got friends I need/want to see on that route, and it allows me to stop at home on the way by

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Arizona in March. Then Montana in July. We have some beautiful and outback off-roading here in MT. Yes, meeting in Arizona in March would be a real winter escape. Especially for those that live in cold country. But, then MT in July for amazing off roading and wonderful summers. MTG

Edited by MTGunner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Welcome to NPORA Forums

 

Please register to gain full access to the forum.

Make sure you read the Forum Guidelines and don't forget to post a new intro in the New People Start Here! section, to say hi too everyone.

 

-NPORA

×
×
  • Create New...