What can be read from the OBD-II?

Strato_54

21 minutes ago, Strato_54 said:

are those all what the vg33e can show? or is that just what the bluedriver shows? and also look into raspberry pi's. you do have to do some stuff your self to make it work but theyre excellent little computers that can do a lot and the same company also makes a 7" touch screen. This is what im looking into and is why i started this thread in the first place.

I have a 1997, and that list looks pretty close, if not spot on. I bought this adapter from Amazon, and it works fine. I use it with Torque. I have not gotten Nissan Data Scan II to work with it, though, but that might be due to it being such a cheap one...I need to pick up one of their recommended ones and try it.

32 minutes ago, chrisfromthelc said:

I have a 1997, and that list looks pretty close, if not spot on. I bought this adapter from Amazon, and it works fine. I use it with Torque. I have not gotten Nissan Data Scan II to work with it, though, but that might be due to it being such a cheap one...I need to pick up one of their recommended ones and try it.

if thats what can be read thats all thats there is actually all i need. so i can now continue with my project. Now all i gotta do is figure out where to mount it out of sight so it doesnt get stolen and also isnt in the way of my 1,3 and 5th gears lol

I’m not sure what level of detail you’re wanting, but I really like the simplicity of the Scan-Gauge II which i have plugged into my 97’s OBDII port all the time. It doesn’t display graphs or anything fancy, but it displays the essentials. Besides reading and resetting codes, it also computes instantaneous mpg, average mpg per trip, mpg per tank, and distance remaining until empty. ATF temp is not reported over OBDII, but engine coolant temp, voltage, throttle position, engine load, and a variety of other useful info can be shown. I have the unit mounted over the center AC registers for easy viewing. By not using a Bluetooth OBDII reader and an app, my phone is free to use for other purposes while driving (maps, Pandora, phone calls, etc). I still have a Bluetooth OBDII dongle with an app, but I only use it for advanced diagnostics, not for regular use.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, XPLORx4 said:

I’m not sure what level of detail you’re wanting, but I really like the simplicity of the Scan-Gauge II which i have plugged into my 97’s OBDII port all the time. It doesn’t display graphs or anything fancy, but it displays the essentials. Besides reading and resetting codes, it also computes instantaneous mpg, average mpg per trip, mpg per tank, and distance remaining until empty. ATF temp is not reported over OBDII, but engine coolant temp, voltage, throttle position, engine load, and a variety of other useful info can be shown. I have the unit mounted over the center AC registers for easy viewing. By not using a Bluetooth OBDII reader and an app, my phone is free to use for other purposes while driving (maps, Pandora, phone calls, etc). I still have a Bluetooth OBDII dongle with an app, but I only use it for advanced diagnostics, not for regular use.

I think long term I'll go with Scan-Guage..the BT dongle works for what I need for right now (quick code checking/resetting/etc). Do you happen to know if it can read external add-on sensors?

4 hours ago, XPLORx4 said:

The SGII plugs into the OBDII port. Unless add-on sensors can be linked to the OBDII, I don’t think it’ll support them.

Exactly.  It could be done but not sure it is worth the hassle.  +1 on the Scan Gauge I've had one for a long time, although I wish it were easier to see in sunlight.

4 hours ago, XPLORx4 said:

The SGII plugs into the OBDII port. Unless add-on sensors can be linked to the OBDII, I don’t think it’ll support them.

Ah, that sucks. Maybe I'll look into a different solution..that's pretty far down the list for now, though. I'd like to have something that I could tie in data from add-on sensors (like trans temps).