I bought a new toy!

Harbinger

I just happend upon this, guy only wanted $20 bucks for the whole lot :-)

What I have:

8 ft whip antannea

Cobra 25LTD Classic CB -- Circa 1995

Cobra Microphone

Diesel 4-2 Amplified Microphone

10-4-1.JPG

10-4-2.JPG

Now the questions! :help:

A) The Antannea -- Do I really need 8 feet? Any advantages disadvantages? The guy I bought this from mentioned a 8 foot wavelength, and that I should use 8 foot sections to connect the antannea?

B) Microphones -- Which should I use? Stock cobra or this Diesel Amplifed one?

C) The CB -- I'm missing the powercable, on the back theres something similar to a molex connection with one power and two grounds. What do I need to do to wire it? Is it a stock Cobra cable?

Where do I mount the CB itself? I'd like it to have a somewhat permanent location in the cab (as I plan on adding the PA speaker and external CB speaker) I thought I might be able to put it where my ashtray is, but I"m fairly sure I'd run into substantal depth issues.

D) -- Wiring/Grounding --Also right above my ashtray I have a Microphone mount installed from the previous owner. When I removed the front panel I found out it was grounded. What purpose does that serve? What do I have to do to properly ground this system?

He he, I needed a good project :-) Thanks guys

I don't have any clues as to how cb works so I can't help with much, but I can suggest some mounting positions:

First is under the stereo I have seen a couple of pictures of people who mounted theirs there; I think this is the best location. Second is on top of the dash smack dab in the middle; this might not be as good due to wiring considerations and sunlight. Maybe just maybe you could mount it inside the storage area thing between the front seats, I don't know that area might be too small. You could try mounting it overhead too but that's going to entail a lot of work to get it to look clean. Hope this helps.

Every little bit helps :-) Mounting on top of the dash is out as I already have a box that contains all my switches to the right of the gauge area. If I can find a bracket for the CB (Didn't come with one) I'll consider mounting under the stereo, hoping its not to long for that of course :-)

That might be viable actually, theres already a slit in the carpet in that area from where the previous owner ran cabling and antannea leads.

Mounting isn't so much an issue really, I'm more worried about properly mounting this antannea, I mean, where can I really put a 102" whip antannea, without it being a nusisance? I'm not even sure of where to put it so I could bend it down to go through drive throughs or park in my garage. Would a 4" Firestik be a worthwhile investment?

What are the thoughts on amplified mics?

So I installed the antannea on my spare tire carrier, basically right in the lower plate thats behind the spare tire. I figured I'd zip tie the co-ax cable to it once I get some. Am going to mount the actuall cb at an angle underneath the stereo as soon as I can get a mounting bracket for it.

Any thing I should be aware of?

Also, I noticed that the mic mount installed by the previous owner is grounded, even though the mic is plastic, is there a reason for this?