Rear suspension links

Was wondering if anyone has tried using R50 suspension links on a lifted WD21. 

I currently have about 4.5" of lift in the rear of my path and the bushings are shot again, so I either need to replace the 8 bushings (expensive and a PITA) or just replace the links. I found a set of new ones for about $80, but they are for R50s. Did a quick and dirty measure while in a salvage yard Thursday and found they are a few inches longer than the WD21 links. I was thinking I needed longer ones anyway due to the lift and was wondering if anyone else has tried this before. I need to take a tape measure and go visit a friend of mine who has a 99 and get a better idea of what can of worms I am considering opening now. 

I had thought about trying to adapt an R50 center console when I found one in very good condition, but decided to defer that challenge for a while. 

1 hour ago, Mr_Reverse said:

Was wondering if anyone has tried using R50 suspension links on a lifted WD21. 

I currently have about 4.5" of lift in the rear of my path and the bushings are shot again, so I either need to replace the 8 bushings (expensive and a PITA) or just replace the links. I found a set of new ones for about $80, but they are for R50s. Did a quick and dirty measure while in a salvage yard Thursday and found they are a few inches longer than the WD21 links. I was thinking I needed longer ones anyway due to the lift and was wondering if anyone else has tried this before. I need to take a tape measure and go visit a friend of mine who has a 99 and get a better idea of what can of worms I am considering opening now. 

I had thought about trying to adapt an R50 center console when I found one in very good condition, but decided to defer that challenge for a while. 

I have R50 links handy for any dimensions you need.

Mostly the basics, lengths from eye to eye, width of the bushing center sleeve and diameter of the hole in the bushing sleeves. 

It is much appreciated, thanks!

I put those dimensions here with another post of mine regarding links:

Also, if the links end up working, they're dirt cheap at Rock Auto...like <$4 each before shipping.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I think he meant the trailing arms, not the swaybar end links.

Doh!  Wow, how did I get that far thinking sway bar links?

Well, me being me, I also have a spare set of trailing arms laying around.  I got about halfway through popping the bushings out the other week to put some poly ones in. I’ll throw those measurements up later!

@Mr_Reverse The funny thing is that I looked at that $80 price tag, still thinking you were looking for end links, and thought, "Man, he must have found the most premium of premium links for that price!" and seriously didn't think "trailing arms".  May have just been verbiage...

Anyway, here are those dimensions instead for R50 trailing/control arms/links, whatever we're calling them:

Lower length, center-to-center bushings: 26-1/2"

Upper length, center-to-center bushings: 12-1/8"

Bushing inner sleeve width/length: 60mm

Bushing tube length: 46mm

Bushing tube ID: 50mm

OE Bolt: M14 x 1.5 x 85mm (excludes unthreaded portion that makes the bolt long overall)

Also, Whiteline says their rear trailing arm bushings fit both WD21 and R50.  There are two p/ns W63351 (full poly) and W61705A (OEM style) available; their dimensions correspond with my numbers.  Given that, I'd say it's just a matter of determining if the length of the arms works for you.

• Like 1

Oh, and just to put a little emphasis to my last comment...if you’re having issues finding bushings for a WD21, those Whiteline (and Nolathane equivalents) and other R50 ones (including OE replacement) should fit yours.  As you noted, the bushing work can be a pain.  But if you’re considering poly bushings and need a cheap alternative, I picked up a set of “Autoacer” bushings for $74 off eBay that seem to be of decent quality. They’re what I’ll be installing in my spare arms. 

Thanks. Yes I was referring to the trailing arms. I have always just called them suspension links since it is a 5 link suspension in the rear. Good to know the WD and R50 use the same bushings. I have looked at poly in the past, but not a big fan of them for my truck. I like the extra compliance the rubber give me when the suspension is flexing. I also don't care for how quickly they wear in my environment. I was getting about 8k miles out of my front UCA bushings before they would be so loose I couldn't get close to an alignment. After the 4th set I called AC and found that the factory rubber bushings would fit their UCA's. I pressed on a set and have put at least 20k on them without them hogging out. 

Now I need to go under my truck and measure the links there and see if the R50 links would push the axle too far back. Probably will and I should just give up and build some using Jonny joints or heims. The 4.5" of suspension and 3" of body lift in the rear has made things interesting as far as the back end goes. I still need to talk to a local shop and find out just how much it will cost to have a pair of park brake cables made. I have run out of slack with my left one. 

Thank you for the measurements, they are a help