manual transmission fluid coming out of filler hole

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone has some insight into a problem that cropped up. 

Background: I recently did an ill-advised water crossing. The water was deeper than we estimated, but I made it through (i.e. I'm an idiot). The next day we did some more exploring, which included a lot of riding the clutch on a tricky section. I should have taken it easy and checked on things, but didn't.

When driving home, I noticed some noises when shifting...kind of whining when I engaged the clutch and shifted some gears. When I got home, I left the car for a bit. When moving it the other day, I noticed the whining had gotten much worse. I figured that I either wore out the release bearing or was running low on transmission fluid. I have been working on taking out the fill plug on the transmission for the past week and finally got it to break today.

To my surprise, transmission fluid started pouring out of the fill plug. I had assumed that at best I would be able to stick my finger in and assess the level. Luckily I had a bucket with me and saved the garage floor. 

My best guess at this time is that I got water into the transmission? I can't imagine what else would make the fluid be at such a high level...the car wasn't on at this time, but I wasn't planning a full change yet. 

I was planning on doing a transmission fluid change first, and if the whining continued, to suck it up and take it to a shop. Sadly, a DIY clutch replacement is a bit outside of my comfort level and ability, especially given my apartment garage situation (no repairs allowed). However, now I'm worried I could have messed things up more than I thought.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated!

Dam6LMl.jpg?1

Yep, sounds like water got into the trans. Maybe the breather hose came off? Hopefully a drain and fill will calm it down, but the whining sounds like bearing damage.

Check your transfer case and your diffs, too.

• Like 2

I would have expected the oil to be milky coming out from water emulsification, or at the very least obvious pools of water sitting in the oil that came out. But does that somehow not happen with manual transmission water ingestion?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, colinnwn said:

I would have expected the oil to be milky coming out from water emulsification, or at the very least obvious pools of water sitting in the oil that came out. But does that somehow not happen with manual transmission water ingestion?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah - it didn't appear milky, but I only saw the top portion. I'll have to drain the whole thing to know since I assume the water would have settled at the bottom. Hopefully, I didn't leave it too long...

19 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Yep, sounds like water got into the trans. Maybe the breather hose came off? Hopefully a drain and fill will calm it down, but the whining sounds like bearing damage.

Check your transfer case and your diffs, too.

Yeah...I didn't want it to be true, but probably is. Not my best moment! Good advice...I'll check the transfer case and differentials as well when I get a chance,