Snorkel installation thoughts

ooh180

Hi all!

Just purchased a airflow snorkel. While reading the instructions its stating to connect the snorkel to the the secondary under bonnet airbox (located within the fender - please view the instructions HERE. Steps 3.5 - 3.7

I know some people connect the snorkel directly to the airbox. Both of these options are do-able. Just want to know what you have done and why? Which do you think would be more 'air tight'

My thought are - leave the secondary air box incase water goes through the snorkel? 

R50 2000

TIA

Edited by ooh180

I’ve seen people do it both ways....by cutting into the air box and siliconing the pipe in....and I’ve seen people delete the box and use an aftermarket aluminum elbow and just connect it to the maf. Either option should be just fine 

Ooh180,

http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=911&start=190#p23725 shows the former option or at least one way to do it.   It looks pretty involved doing it that way.   I am not sure if the instructions they proved now are any different than the ones that were supplied back in 2008, the original poster commented on how inadequate they were to complete the job.

Good luck and please take some detailed pics of your process.   I would like to see what you come up with.    I am in the process of getting an Airfow snorkel from Argentina, it is sitting at a friends house in Miami as it was hand carried on a plane from Buenos Ares by the CEO of Airflow.    Another member posted some pics  of them on my post about Chinese made snorkels 

Since I have a coworker who happens to be from there, I was able to get a hook up and should have it here within the week.   I should have the complete instructions produced by them in hand and can get them translated to share their take on the install.    I will post the picks when I get them.   The one thing I noticed was a different type of bracket for the mid A pillar mount.

Hope that helps

• Like 3

On 14/4/2019 at 23:59, cgriff said:

Ooh180,

http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=911&start=190#p23725  muestra la opción anterior o al menos una forma de hacerlo. Se ve bastante involucrado haciéndolo de esa manera. No estoy seguro de si las instrucciones que demostraron ahora son diferentes a las que se proporcionaron en 2008, el póster original comentaba lo inadecuados que eran para completar el trabajo.

Buena suerte y por favor tome algunas fotos detalladas de su proceso. Me gustaría ver lo que se te ocurre. Estoy en el proceso de conseguir un snorkel Airfow desde Argentina, está sentado en la casa de unos amigos en Miami mientras era transportado en un avión desde Buenos Ares por el CEO de Airflow. Otro miembro publicó algunas fotos de ellos en mi publicación sobre snorkels hechos en China. 

Como tengo un compañero de trabajo que es de allí, tuve la oportunidad de conectarme y debería tenerlo aquí dentro de la semana. Debería tener las instrucciones completas producidas por ellos en la mano y puedo traducirlas para compartir su opinión sobre la instalación. Publicaré las selecciones cuando las consiga. Lo único que noté fue un tipo diferente de soporte para el montaje del pilar A.

Espero que ayude

wow that was fast, I'm glad you could communicate with Federico! As for the instructions, possibly what you have to do is a new template to make the holes.
i want to see it installed!

I deleted the second airbox, and used a flexi hose from supercheap auto and a 3" PVC elbow from Bunnings to connect the snorkel to the standard airbox. Plus lots of silicone to seal it all up.

I also run the snorkel head backwards now, as I found that the ram was introducing too much crap into my airbox. Opened it up and found that one side of my filter was coated in "mud" (from where water had wet the dust) and insects and the bottom of the airbox was full of water. Looked like the ram head hadn't been ejecting water properly. Runs much cleaner backwards, I'm only getting dust now & no water.

Also check your air filter fits the airbox, the previous owner had fitted a filter that was 3 cm too short and so heaps of crap was getting sucked straight past it onto my MAF... I had to replace that as it wasn't running right. Luckily the turbo seems OK.

Edited by KiwiTerrano
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, KiwiTerrano said:

I deleted the second airbox, and used a flexi hose from supercheap auto and a 3" PVC elbow from Bunnings to connect the snorkel to the standard airbox. Plus lots of silicone to seal it all up.

I also run the snorkel head backwards now, as I found that the ram was introducing too much crap into my airbox. Opened it up and found that one side of my filter was coated in "mud" (from where water had wet the dust) and insects and the bottom of the airbox was full of water. Looked like the ram head hadn't been ejecting water properly. Runs much cleaner backwards, I'm only getting dust now & no water.

Also check your air filter fits the airbox, the previous owner had fitted a filter that was 3 cm too short and so heaps of crap was getting sucked straight past it onto my MAF... I had to replace that as it wasn't running right. Luckily the turbo seems OK.

Isn't there supposed to be a foam air prefilter that slots into a drain at the top?  I wondered how well it actually worked, I guess now we know lol.  I wonder if the stove pipe cap type that the guys seem to run on the land rovers over in Oz would A) run dryer \B) fit on these snorkels.   I like the look of the scoop type but if they are gonna just dump water down the intake ... No Bueno!

Mine is getting hand carried back from Miami on a domestic flight next Sunday.   Excited to see what I actually bought.    We were going to ship it, but fedex wanted almost $100 for the "service".  Only $50 to check it as an extra bag on Frontier.   No brainer.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KiwiTerrano said:

this is the exact reason to why im considering running the second airbox. It clearly wont stop dust and water going through the ram but I would prefer it being in the secondary both rather than my main airbox. hmmm not too sure on what to do now. 

How bad was the 'mud'? what type of terrain do you usually drive through?

22 hours ago, cgriff said:

Isn't there supposed to be a foam air prefilter that slots into a drain at the top?  I wondered how well it actually worked, I guess now we know lol.  I wonder if the stove pipe cap type that the guys seem to run on the land rovers over in Oz would A) run dryer \B) fit on these snorkels.   I like the look of the scoop type but if they are gonna just dump water down the intake ... No Bueno!

the prefilter is purchased separately and told they are only used when using the 'stove pipe cap' hahah! I'll definitely be going down this route is I decide to completely remove the secondary air box.