R50 Rain Guard Warning

c1ce034c77d04905b352644109e123e2.jpg5f1cbd9a48915984a70b79de3c905480.jpg

Buyer beware Nissan Pathfinder Rain/Window Guards

My mom bought these for me on Christmas and riding down the highway they flew off and took the paint with them. She says she got them off eBay. I would advise not buying them entirely but I wanted to put them on cause she got them for me. Guess I’ll be calling Maaco now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

c1ce034c77d04905b352644109e123e2.jpg5f1cbd9a48915984a70b79de3c905480.jpg

Buyer beware Nissan Pathfinder Rain/Window Guards
My mom bought these for me on Christmas and riding down the highway they flew off and took the paint with them. She says she got them off eBay. I would advise not buying them entirely but I wanted to put them on cause she got them for me. Guess I’ll be calling Maaco now

@!*% bro that scares me.

Just to clarify, these are the adhesive ones not the in channel ones?

Correct it appears that it was 3M adhesive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That really sucks, sorry you have to deal with it! Although technically the 3m tape did exactly what it’s supposed to, it stuck to the paint but for some reason the paint is failing and didn’t stick to the truck. From your pics it even looks like the duct tape is pulling paint up with it? Do you have any idea if those areas have had paint work done or if the paint is original? Wondering if it’s a failure from poor prep work or if the oem paint is peeling up. 

Fwiw, Maaco tends to get a bad rep but I’ve had great experiences with them. They’re all franchises so it all comes down to how each local owner runs their business. If you find a good one run by people who care, then they can put out some nice quality work. I actually just had my 94 Vette repainted at my local Maaco about 2 weeks ago (the paint job was a bday present from my wife). It looks great! I don’t have much money invested in this Vette so I couldn’t see taking it somewhere that wanted more to paint it than what I spent on the car. 

• Like 2

That really sucks, sorry you have to deal with it! Although technically the 3m tape did exactly what it’s supposed to, it stuck to the paint but for some reason the paint is failing and didn’t stick to the truck. From your pics it even looks like the duct tape is pulling paint up with it? Do you have any idea if those areas have had paint work done or if the paint is original? Wondering if it’s a failure from poor prep work or if the oem paint is peeling up. 

Fwiw, Maaco tends to get a bad rep but I’ve had great experiences with them. They’re all franchises so it all comes down to how each local owner runs their business. If you find a good one run by people who care, then they can put out some nice quality work. I actually just had my 94 Vette repainted at my local Maaco about 2 weeks ago (the paint job was a bday present from my wife). It looks great! I don’t have much money invested in this Vette so I couldn’t see taking it somewhere that wanted more to paint it than what I spent on the car. 

All appeared to be oem paint to me. I was very particular when I bought it to go through and make sure the vehicle hadn’t been in a accident. You are correct about the damn 3M tape it did hold on to the paint lol. The second picture is the worse one because under the duct tape it pulled all the paint when It flew up on the highway.

Nice to hear that you had a good experience with Maaco, funny how it works but they just opened one a little drive a way from me. I will be interested in seeing how they operate. I have been impressed by their “$399” paint jobs I have seen on YouTube.

I will report back when It’s all said in done. I’m hoping to expedite the repair. Thanks

That looks more like a paint prep failure at some point.  The ventshade was just what it took to bring it to light.  The tape didn't fail as pointed out, the paint is still attached to it.  A couple months of double sided tape being stuck to it wasn't the cause, just the showing symptom.  Your upset at the wrong target.

As for the Maaco comment, we had a wrecker at work redone by them.  Crap job but got what we paid for, didn't really care as it was getting vinyled anyway AMD even if we wanted to couldn't do anything since they got evicted from their building shortly after

• Like 3

Like anything you get what you pay for. This was not their cheapest special, it still cost just under $1000 which is still very reasonable.e0e1c9476d11b512718cda3e820e2684.jpgd08529a3beaac86256ef6144e049fc69.jpg

• Like 3

i have both AVS rainguards i bought from ebay. i have been rocking these both trucks of mine for almost 4 yrs now and i havent had any problems with the paint. they are a bit pricey for $55 but all worked for me. 

Edited by deltaR50
  • Like 1

i have both AVS rainguards i bought from ebay. i have been rocking these both trucks of mine for almost 4 yrs now and i havent had any problems with the paint. they are a bit pricey for $55 but all worked for me. 

I think that’s the thing here, you get what you pay for. I got my AVS rain guards and they’ve held up really well against some harsh weather, trails, and I’m on the highway pretty much every day.

Just now, QuasarDecimari said:

I think that’s the thing here, you get what you pay for. I got my AVS rain guards and they’ve held up really well against some harsh weather, trails, and I’m on the highway pretty much every day.

yup. whenever i buy something in ebay. i go for the middle price. not the cheapest. some of the things there are overpriced. then some are too cheap that you know the quality is @!*%. 

heres the rain guard i got on my 01

1499599_614116968637983_1664172202_n.jpg

I had an amazon set, but one flew off on the highway so I ditched them and got the in channel ones. After having both, the extra price for the in channel ones was worth it IMHO. The road noise on the stick on ones were irritating and it didn’t cover all the way down the front part of the front windows so I was still getting wet. The in channel ones sit much more flush and worked much better. Sadly I only had them for a few days before I sold it

• Like 1