Shift Interlock

Hey guys, my shift interlock is going and its becoming a problem (GF Drives the truck). This is the solenoid that allows the shifter to move after the brake pedal is depressed. Especially when its cold out, you can hear it click/try but it doesn't actually completely move the blocking mechanism.

Does anyone know the P/N of this? Is there an aftermarket replacement? Im not even finding the OEM part on Courtesy Nissan or Rockauto.  I can certainly go pull one from a JY - but my understanding is this was somewhat common, and I'm not convinced a 200,000 mile JY one is going to be any better.

It’s entirely up to you, but what I did is just bypass the solenoid. If you pull the plastic console trim up, you’ll see the solenoid assembly and the little lever that blocks the shifter from moving. I just lifted the lever up and super glued a plastic spacer under it so it is always disengaged. Sorry I didn’t take any pictures but it’s pretty easy. You still have to push the button to move the shifter so it’s not like it can be bumped out of gear, it just lets you move it without hitting the brakes. 

Edited by Bax03SE

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am pretty familiar with the whole setup, as I swapped a entire R50 console into my WD21 (with shifter!). I've already had the trim off as part of the diagnosis - you can see the solinoid start to actuate upon brake press, so I think my brake switch/wiring is ok.

Being this is a DD for my GF, I am not interested in bypassing safety features at this time, so am just looking to replace. 

Edited by Inyourface1650
  • Like 1

The Nissan part number is 34950-6w002. At least that is the correct part for my 2003, not sure if it is any different from year to year but I don’t think so. Here’s an image from an online supplier.be6e3330f5cc0f91a8b51a8a66faaa66.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! That was what I needed to see!

Looks like 34950-5W000 is the right exact switch for my model (VQ35 A/4WD Fed Emissions 2001), but about the same price. Ouch.

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-shift-lock-sole~34950-5w000.html?Make=Nissan&Model=Pathfinder&Year=2001&Submodel=&Filter=(1=W;3=USA;6=AT)&Location=auto-transmission-control-device,349_B003,34950M

Guess I'll go try a junkyard one or four....

Edited by Inyourface1650
  • Like 1

Yeah it’s an expensive little bugger for what it is! If you can find a few in salvage yards it’s worth a try. I know how annoying it can be when that switch isn’t working. Mine had gotten so bad it could have been considered a theft deterrent. I could only get it to work if I followed a ritual of tapping the brakes a few times and pulling back hard on the shifter before pushing the button on the shifter. It really got to me one day at work so I pulled off the trim and decided to bypass it almost as an F you to that stupid little switch, lol. If I ever sell it I’ll probably replace the solenoid as I wouldn’t want to be liable or hurt anyone who accidentally moved it out of park without having their foot on the brake.

+1 on Cleaning & JY. That price is definitely a priority redirector. I imagine all of us share your concerns re having someone other than you driving it. I would fix it for the same reason even though it’s a rare occurrence.

Might want to check the continuity of the switch that’s on the shifter, on the solenoid circuit. 

I had intermittent issues with my shifter a while ago. The previous owner bypassed it by wedging a short piece of hose in the shifter release. I didn’t like that, but found out the real issue was that switch. Cost me a maybe a buck from Digikey, before shipping, but was an exact fit. Soldered it in, no problems since. 

• 1 month later...

I ended up just installing a new shifter. Little Pricey - $25 at the JY (more than I thought it would be tbh) but works like a charm. I also threw in some new controls of a very very nice pathfinder that had taken a hit, mine were just a little faded/used. Again, more then then I thought though at $7.99 each. Damn junkyards are raising prices.