Weird rattle

findmypath

Hey. I have a 03 LE and usually when I accelerate I can hear a metal rattle sound. I thought it might be a heat sheild, but I checked and everything is tight. This sound isn't heavy meaning that it sounds that its a thin piece of metal. This only happens in the 1200-1650 RPM range. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

It's probly a heat shield that seems tight but vibrates at that certain rpm range... Mine does the same thing. I've been meaning to get under there and tighten it up with clothes hangers or bailing wire... It's really annoying this time of year trying to ride with the windows down...

You may try checking the entire exhaust... If something is sagging, it may buzz enough to touch the frame... I have that right now, annoying, but not annoying enough apparently...

B

I checked the exhaust and everything around it and everything was tight. I'm not quite sure what else is there to check. Any other suggestions?????????????????????

Thanks. :D

Can you isolate where it is basically comming from ?? I'm not familiar with 03s so I cant do a minds eye thing... Try driving with the windows down next to a wall, I've used that trick before and it can help a lot...

B

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. I took the car on the lift checked every metal part that could be possibly loose and yet as soon as I drove off the lift it still rattled. Please help. Thanks

Did you notice any cracked brackets along the exhaust? Maybe one of them rusted and cracked somewhere. The bolts may remain tight but a cracked bracket will always rattle. I found a rusted bracket by having a buddy press the gas pedal until it rattled while in neutral. I then poked around, with a glove to avoid the heat, until I spotted and muffled the rattling. Do you notice the rattling in neutral or does it only happen in gear?

-J

:huh: I had part of my catalyic converter material break loose on the inside. This could be the case or part of the muffler rusted loose. If everything is tight on the outside then I'd consider looking inside. Even if it's not there you're likely to find the loose part while taking things out. Don't forget to use a penetrant on the bolts before you start just in case their stuck.