Valve Covers on 01 Pathfinder

ryjaytay38

Can anyone tell me if the valve covers on an 01 Pathy are serviceable? I was going to put new spark plug tube seals and grommets while doing the gaskets, but went to order the parts and the reviews some people were giving said they would not fit. Looked at buying new valve covers all together and the price for the 01 is much much higher than any other year-like by at least $100. Can anyone shed some light on this? I noticed Fel-Pro does not send grommets or seals with the valve cover gaskets however they did on my Isuzu Trooper and they do on many other vehicles but not for the 01 Pathfinder. 

On 2/1/2019 at 8:08 PM, ryjaytay38 said:

I was going to put new spark plug tube seals and grommets while doing the gaskets

Are these parts that come with the gasket set?  I'm led to believe that the o-rings around the spark plugs are non-serviceable when replacing the valve cover gaskets and wondering if this is what you are referencing.  My thoughts were that you have to get new spark plugs entirely which fixes the potential problem but are there other seals that need to be ordered separately?  Also I was told if the baffles are clogged inside the valve cover you will need to replace it.

Edited by cham

The o-rings are not serviceable on vq motors with the plastic valve covers. depending on when your 01 was manufactured...it may come with the aluminum covers which are serviceable. my 01 qx4 manufactured in 05/01 has the aluminum covers which are serviceable 

On 2/6/2019 at 6:22 PM, cham said:

I have an 02 LE, that means I definitely have the unserviceable o rings?

I believe so. Just pop the hood and look at them. Are they aluminum, or black plastic? If they’re plastic they’re not serviceable. Not without a hole saw and some patience anyways 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and have sort of the same question. So read it was best to answer in the forum... Sorry if this is not the right thing to do in my case...

I had an misfire on cylinder 4, went to the garage and had the complete ignition coil changed because it was really oily. They said I had to replace the valve cover gasket + o rings for the ignition coils.

We are currently overlanding and had allready bought a ticket from la paz , México to Mazatlán on the boat so choose to take the boat and have it fixed in mainland Mexico. Now we arrived here it seems like a lot harder to find the Parts. After asking around on expedition portal they send me here..

So the current plan is to order the Parts from rockauto and have them delivered to a friends house in Guadelajara and do the maintenance there.

No I have some questions regarding what parts to order on rockauto. Cause it Will take a week ( on priority shipping) to get here and cost some money. So If want to be sure.

The car is an American Pathfinder from 2001 with the 3500 v6 gasoline engine.

I think I should order:

- new intake plenum gasket kit 

- spark plug tube seal kit

- spark plug Coil on plug boot

- valve cover gaskets kit left / right + grommets

Here a link of my current order on rockauto please say if i better order another brand or part

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i4MnFF1tXU5yTDw18

Would you guys think it's better to order complete new ignition coils? Just to be sure. Or the boot alone would be enough? Or order a couple just in case. Cause we are planning to be on the Road for another 6 months going South to central America...

And is there anything else you think of i can better replace now cause we are opening up the valve covers? The engine currently has about 300 000 km ...

One thing to add is that prior of the misfire i changed the oil from mobil10w40 full synthetic to 10w30 Mobil full synthetic because the 10w40 wasn't available at that time. Can the thinner oil has something to do with it? And should i change it back to 10w40...

A lot of questions but I like to do a thorrow job cause this car is our current home...

Thanks in advance!

Cheerio,

Alexander

• Like 1

Sounds like a hell of a trip!

From the responses above, it looks like you're on the right track, unless you've got the plastic valve covers. Loctite your power valve screws while you're in there (also make sure there aren't any other parts/gaskets listed in that writeup). I haven't worked on a VQ myself, but IIRC there's some kind of coolant pipe between the heads at the back of the engine that likes to leak, might be good to have a look at that while it's apart just to make sure everything's good back there. Also IIRC the PCV valve is a pain to get to unless it's already torn apart, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap out while you're in there. Having extra coils on hand sounds like a great idea. Oil weight shouldn't have much to do with the leakage, I'm running 5W30 in my '93 with 240k+ miles and it only leaks a little.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Sounds like a hell of a trip!

From the responses above, it looks like you're on the right track, unless you've got the plastic valve covers. Loctite your power valve screws while you're in there (also make sure there aren't any other parts/gaskets listed in that writeup). I haven't worked on a VQ myself, but IIRC there's some kind of coolant pipe between the heads at the back of the engine that likes to leak, might be good to have a look at that while it's apart just to make sure everything's good back there. Also IIRC the PCV valve is a pain to get to unless it's already torn apart, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap out while you're in there. Having extra coils on hand sounds like a great idea. Oil weight shouldn't have much to do with the leakage, I'm running 5W30 in my '93 with 240k+ miles and it only leaks a little.

Thanks for the information! Checked the power valve topic and seems like an absolute must do if we take the manifold off! Will also order a PCV Valve to be sure. Thanks for the tips just what I needed! And I think I'm just going to order new ignition coils. Then I'm sure...

Thanks again!

buy a new pcv valve hose, pcv valve insulatro, and pcv  breather hose. theyll all shatter when you remove them. might wanna do the upper water control valve while the manifold is off too. you can service the spark plug tube seals only if your manifolds are aluminum, if theyre plastic...you have to replace the whole manifold. do the powervalves while youre in there also. i wouldnt order new coils if you dont need them...but id probably replace the boots. severeal of mine were cracked and brittle. theyre like 2 dollars from rock auto. cylinder 1 is longer on the 01 so make sure you get the right ones 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 11:42 AM, Sjackson2 said:

buy a new pcv valve hose, pcv valve insulatro, and pcv  breather hose. theyll all shatter when you remove them. might wanna do the upper water control valve while the manifold is off too. you can service the spark plug tube seals only if your manifolds are aluminum, if theyre plastic...you have to replace the whole manifold. do the powervalves while youre in there also. i wouldnt order new coils if you dont need them...but id probably replace the boots. severeal of mine were cracked and brittle. theyre like 2 dollars from rock auto. cylinder 1 is longer on the 01 so make sure you get the right ones 

Thanks for the advice. And yes I have the alloy valve covers. Water thermostat was changed by the previous owner. He said there we're 2 on this car. One in the front and one in the back. He changed both. And I can't seem to find the hoses you are referring to. I found the pcv valve and connector on rockauto. But the breather hose and insulator hose not. But I assume this are normal hoses I can find in a general car parts store. Or are this molded vehicle specific ones?

Just now, bollaert said:

Thanks for the advice. And yes I have the alloy valve covers. Water thermostat was changed by the previous owner. He said there we're 2 on this car. One in the front and one in the back. He changed both. And I can't seem to find the hoses you are referring to. I found the pcv valve and connector on rockauto. But the breather hose and insulator hose not. But I assume this are normal hoses I can find in a general car parts store. Or are this molded vehicle specific ones?

They are molded ones. I however used hose rated for fuel and oil from auto zone and secured it with hose clamps. This is the breather hose https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/6755-01158252.html?utm_content=YN&utm_term=2001-2004+Nissan+Pathfinder+Breather+Hose+Genuine+W0133-1908565+Center+01-04+Nissan+Breather+Hose+2002+2003&fp=pp&gbm=a&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1-W6w5H44AIVxBx9Ch0LHwXWEAQYASABEgIaqPD_BwE&ad=47584901292

And this is the pcv hose if you’re wantin oem https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Crankcase-Breather-Hose-GENUINE-W0133-1907618-OES/162768503503?fits=Year%3A2001|Model%3APathfinder&epid=843435390&hash=item25e5c242cf:g:HIkAAOSw64tbl6GU

15 minutes ago, Sjackson2 said:

Thanks for the quick response!

47 dollar for a hose. Haha I'll find something else that fits for that money. Thanks for the links thought!

Seems I'm ready to order! Big thank you for all the information...

Ya I wasn’t about to spend that kind of money for a hose either. That’s why I just made my own with some parts store hose. It’s working out fine. You could just wait and see if your hoses are reusable....and then if they break just make a run to the parts store for some hose. You will need to replace this insulator though. https://www.amazon.com/Nippon-Reinz-Positive-Crankcase-Ventilation/dp/B001G73FT4/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_2?keywords=2001+pathfinder+pcv+valve+grommet&qid=1552243451&replacementKeywords=pcv+valve+grommet&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull&vehicle=2001-67-893------------&vehicleName=2001+Nissan+Pathfinder you can find them cheaper from the dealer though