Largest tire that fits in underbody spare tire carrier

colinnwn

If you've ever wondered what the largest spare tire is that will fit in the underbody spare tire carrier, I just found out. 

I run 265/70 R16 and it barely fit. I had to jam the rear of it up against the back of the factory trailer hitch mount ( getting the wire loom that runs across the mount out of the way) and the tire is within 1/2 inch of the panhard rod on the front side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• 1 year later...
On 2/1/2019 at 8:48 AM, R50JR said:

A true 31"will not fit, the panhard rod will rub during normal driving so 30.5" is max.

Reviving a dead thread here, I thought 31" tires was stock on some early gen R50? I also thought I've heard of people shoving a 235/85/16 in there with a bit of trimming of their hitch bar. Anyone else have any experience fitting plus size tires in there?

I tried to fit my 235/85/16 and there isn’t nearly enough clearance. My hitch has been replaced with a smittybilt Jeep bumper though so I can’t really say whether it may have worked originally

I was bummed because it would have been nice to always have two full size

spares. Planning to use that space for a reserve tank in the future though because it’s just too good to waste. Almost found a way to fit traction boards under there but it’s a little too tight 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I couldn't fit my 265/70 R16 (BFG K02). Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough, pretty sure it was up against the pan hard rod

That size should fit with OEM hitch. It’s below 31”.

Sent from my Pathfinder

On 12/6/2020 at 2:23 AM, R50JR said:

That size should fit with OEM hitch. It’s below 31”.

Nah after reading this I tried again. It fouls the Pan hard rod and doesn't even squeeze in. I could only get it up with that bracket removed and it deflated to 10psi, I also crushed it with a ratchet strap but still too close to the PHR for comfort. Shame I'd really like to keep it there! I think if it was a heavily worn tyre i'd probably be good!  

Edited by JusGeoff

maybe I'm not running the OEM hitch?   -  Checked, it's OEM 

The tire will should be within 1/2” of phb. If you let out some air that’s perfect. I think mine is at 15psi. When lifting, you have to guide the side closer to the hitch up first then continue lifting.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Is this an Australian R50? If so, I would not be surprised at all if it’s hitch is different. It seems like every time I peruse R50s at the JY, I find new variants, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if a whole different market had some differences we didn’t expect. Not even 2 U.S. 2002s are exactly the same[mention=40509]Pathy_02[/mention] & my truck are manufactured only months apart & a dash switch (power seat defeat) is on the opposite side of the steering wheel.

Sorry haven't taken a picture yet. But just an update, I switched out one of the old tyres and it fits with clearance!

So -

100% new 265/70/16 BFG K02, doesn't fit.

Old 50% life 265/70/16 BFG K0, does fit. 

Sorry haven't taken a picture yet. But just an update, I switched out one of the old tyres and it fits with clearance!

So -

Interesting...I just noticed you mentioned you removed a bracket. Are you referring to the bracket that limits tire from going forward towards phb?

Sent from my Pathfinder

So -

Interesting...I just noticed you mentioned you removed a bracket. Are you referring to the bracket that limits tire from going forward towards phb?

Sent from my Pathfinder

44 minutes ago, R50JR said:

Are you referring to the bracket that limits tire from going forward towards phb?

Yeah that's right, I haven't re-installed it yet but I think I will try get it back on with this smaller K0 tyre.

Yeah that's right, I haven't re-installed it yet but I think I will try get it back on with this smaller K0 tyre.

That might be your problem. Without it the tire will definitely hit the phb. I’ll try to get a pic if mine later today. You should post a pic of yours.

Sent from my Pathfinder

The problem has been solved! 

The K02 tyre is visibly larger, a rough measurement across the diameter easily shows it coming up as 31", while the K0 TYRE is just over 30". 

I tried everything, I didn't just remove the bracket on a whim! 

My first attempt was cranking the tyre up without any changes to the car or the tyre. 

Second I tried letting the air out.

Third I crushed the tyre with a ratchet straps AND removed the bracket.

All I can say is, it is impossible (on my car) to fit a 265/70/16 K02 TYRE In the stock location.

Also everything back there on my car is OEM!

Thanks for the topic, it pushed me to try. I can now run a spare off the roof, albeit a older version of what I'm running. 

• Like 1

The problem has been solved! 

The K02 tyre is visibly larger, a rough measurement across the diameter easily shows it coming up as 31", while the K0 TYRE is just over 30". 

I tried everything, I didn't just remove the bracket on a whim! 
My first attempt was cranking the tyre up without any changes to the car or the tyre. 

Second I tried letting the air out.

Third I crushed the tyre with a ratchet straps AND removed the bracket.

All I can say is, it is impossible (on my car) to fit a 265/70/16 K02 TYRE In the stock location.

Also everything back there on my car is OEM!

Thanks for the topic, it pushed me to try. I can now run a spare off the roof, albeit a older version of what I'm running. 

Cool. Glad it worked out

Sent from my Pathfinder

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Here we go again….

I’m looking to find the largest 17” rim tire that will fit in the stock location underneath, with an OEM hitch. Reportedly the limit is 31”.  I know a 265/70R17 (stock 5th Gen T4R tire) most definitely will not fit.

I’m getting Toyo AT3s for my Q & these are my options:

Wt Tread  Dia  Width  Tire Size    Speed/Load

35 13.0   30.9    9.3 P235/75R17  108S/SL       

35 13.1    30.6   9.8 245/70R17 110T/SL      

42 16.1    30.6   9.8 LT245/70R17 119/116/RE

37 13.2     31.1   10.2 255/70R17   112T/SL       

38 13.3   30.6  10.7   265/65R17   116T/XL      

https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3/

1st Choice: P235/75R17 closest to 31”- ?fit?

2nd Choice: 245/70R17

265/65R17 should fit but I’m not sure that the XL load rating won’t mean it’s too stiff. SL & XL are both 4 ply but the XL requires more pressure at Max Load - which, honestly, is counterintuitive to me.

I think the 255/70R17 will be too big 

I think the LT245/70R17 will be too stiff as this truck is usually unloaded 

Has ANYONE out there tried a P235/75R17?

Edited by RainGoat